Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Im getting same on both apps ‘Battery Partially Charged’. Happened today.
Getting the alert on Mercedes Me that my battery is low, probably because I haven’t been out on a long trip for a couple of weeks
Did a short one and noticed stop/start was working
Guess it is a case of too much information
A lot of people seem to have similar problems with variations. Similar but different...Love to know how many are out there...

our case is we have an A250... we started having significant battery drain one month after purchase.. it has had a new battery installed by the dealer.. but still has significant battery drain.. we have used ”stand by” function and switched of most of the electrics (wifi, Bluetooth, internal external lighting etc) but no impact..still lose power.. based on stand by function MB estimate a full battery should provide at least 22-23 weeks (yes 22-23 weeks) stand by power.. we have carried out our own extensive tests and our conclusion is that even in standby you only have about 1 week of power before battery is probably dead....

Haven,t tested it until battery is dead as can not afford a dead or damaged battery during the current crisis

We maybe being mischievous but the lack of support even acknowledgement of the problem .. indicates MB has stuffed it’s implemention of MBUX and its extensive functionality by not being able to manage battery drain.. and they are being quiet about the problem because they have new models rolling out with MBUX and are avoiding bad press..

If they just made Standby mode work it, would be brilliant... but ignoring the problem as we have experienced is not the way to go...

MBUX is great in our eyes as is the car.. but it fails simply because of battery drain...it maybe just our car and we are a one off ..but we suggest you test your car.. after 6, 7 or 8 days in isolation see if you get a battery critical message on the dash.. also try and engage standby and see how many weeks battery power you have...

For us 1 week battery power is inconvenient even dangerous in an emergency and if it is a normal condition we would not have bought the car... constantly placing a charger on car that should not require it, to cover for a design flaw is just not good enough Especially for a luxury car.. and a car for daily driving not a super high performance car that spends most of it life in a garage..

·
Registered
363 Posts
I have an 2019 A220 in England and it does not have "Standby Mode".
I have left the car unused for 3 weeks without problem, I then had the doors open cleaning it when it complained the "Starter Battery" was low.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Not sure about wrong but it's not good advice in my view

Firstly you shouldn't start a car and let it idle, especially when it's been standing for a while, you want oil pressure as quickly as possible so 2000 rpm would be good for a few seconds

Second letting it idle will fill the exhaust with wet gasses so you need to take it for a run so the exhaust gets hot and burns the wet off.

Third is similar to 2, if the engine doesn't get nice and hot the block will have condensation which will be absorbed by the oil.
Then why are Mercedes suggesting the above? They have repeated it on their Instagram page today. I commented the same as above and they directed me to the Mercedes Me team as they said that the partially charged indication on the app may be a fault with the app!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Then why are Mercedes suggesting the above? They have repeated it on their Instagram page today. I commented the same as above and they directed me to the Mercedes Me team as they said that the partially charged indication on the app may be a fault with the app!
I wonder how reliable the app battery status really is. Been trying to drive the car once a week - after using it to deliver odds and sods to my parents - just to keep the battery in decent working order. On Monday the app said ‘charged’ before I set off and ‘partially charged’ after a 30 min drive. Go figure?

·
Registered
603 Posts
Then why are Mercedes suggesting the above?
It could be that they have had lots of emails from A Class owners saying that their batteries are going critical ?. They cant suggest they go for a drive as that is forbidden, if they suggest a trickle charger some people might ask for MB to cover the cost of this as their batteries have drained in just 2 to 3 weeks. Other than that the only thing they can suggest is letting the engine idle in the drive way which as I have said before is not good for the engine or exhaust and I would be surprised if 15 minute would charge the battery very much in any case.

The only practical solution is a trickle charger which is what I am doing but as its normally connected to my summer car in the garage its a bit of a pain having to swap it over, that and having a mains lead outside where if it rains (remember rain :cool:) it could cause further problems

·
Registered
603 Posts
I had an interesting conversation with a MB tech today, it seems that if you report this sort of problem they are able to check which module is causing the battery drain, in my case they think it was the Interiour CAN bus waking up and staying on for to long, so they reset it and crossed their fingers 🤣

Its wonderful that they can trace whats waking up when the cars locked, just a shame they can't do anything other than reset the module, update the software and hope for the best. But they are giving me a new battery so that might help

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had an interesting conversation with a MB tech today, it seems that if you report this sort of problem they are able to check which module is causing the battery drain, in my case they think it was the Interiour CAN bus waking up and staying on for to long, so they reset it and crossed their fingers 🤣

Its wonderful that they can trace whats waking up when the cars locked, just a shame they can't do anything other than reset the module, update the software and hope for the best. But they are giving me a new battery so that might help
I had a thought the other day,

if the Stand-by function ( not available on all cars eg UK) can read the SOC (StatusOf Charge) and it also appears that irrespective of whether you have the stand-by function or not, you can display your voltage along with Power (KW), Turbo Boost, Torque (NM) why not display SOC on the dashboard.

This way we can minimise somewhat, the parking anxiety we get when leaving the car in the garage. We can thence determine when to put the car on a charger, just like when we look at the fuel gauge to determine when to put petrol in the car.

As it is we do not know the SOC at any stage and repeated small distance drives maybe depleting the battery reducing its ability to remain locked up in the garage for any length of time.

This simply seems a common sense feature for a car that has a heavy load on its battery and a smart alternator that charges intermittently. It simply gives some degree of certainty and control back to the owner.

The only spanned in the works I can see is that the SOC value/module/calculation is not built into cars without the Stand-by function ( I.e in the UK), and this would be shame, as the ability to display the SOC would otherwise mainly be a software update to a digital display.

The software merely needs to read the value and display it. After all we can see the voltage in real time, we can see if and when the alternator is charging the battery, the car has a warning message when the battery charge is critical, so why then can’t we see the SOC on the dashboard.

Maybe I don’t know What is what, but I really would like something to help me plan when to put the car on a charger and not simply because it is critical, but rather let me decide when it is suitable time as part of my busy schedule. That is, when will the car will be in the garage for a day and a night let’s say, to give a good charge and make the effort of plugging and unplugging worthwhile.

Something to think about I guess.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I had a thought the other day,

if the Stand-by function ( not available on all cars eg UK) can read the SOC (StatusOf Charge) and it also appears that irrespective of whether you have the stand-by function or not, you can display your voltage along with Power (KW), Turbo Boost, Torque (NM) why not display SOC on the dashboard.

This way we can minimise somewhat, the parking anxiety we get when leaving the car in the garage. We can thence determine when to put the car on a charger, just like when we look at the fuel gauge to determine when to put petrol in the car.

As it is we do not know the SOC at any stage and repeated small distance drives maybe depleting the battery reducing its ability to remain locked up in the garage for any length of time.

This simply seems a common sense feature for a car that has a heavy load on its battery and a smart alternator that charges intermittently. It simply gives some degree of certainty and control back to the owner.

The only spanned in the works I can see is that the SOC value/module/calculation is not built into cars without the Stand-by function ( I.e in the UK), and this would be shame, as the ability to display the SOC would otherwise mainly be a software update to a digital display.

The software merely needs to read the value and display it. After all we can see the voltage in real time, we can see if and when the alternator is charging the battery, the car has a warning message when the battery charge is critical, so why then can’t we see the SOC on the dashboard.

Maybe I don’t know What is what, but I really would like something to help me plan when to put the car on a charger and not simply because it is critical, but rather let me decide when it is suitable time as part of my busy schedule. That is, when will the car will be in the garage for a day and a night let’s say, to give a good charge and make the effort of plugging and unplugging worthwhile.

Something to think about I guess.
MB could remove the need for any of this by finding out what it is that is discharging our batteries whilst they are not in use but given that they are not going to do this you have an excellent point, you could extend this to providing the Status of Charge and voltage on their phone app so that you can see it real-time from the comfort of your home :cool:

·
Registered
14 Posts
MB could remove the need for any of this by finding out what it is that is discharging our batteries whilst they are not in use but given that they are not going to do this you have an excellent point, you could extend this to providing the Status of Charge and voltage on their phone app so that you can see it real-time from the comfort of your home :cool:
Fully agree, and just think, the effort resolving the issue one way or the other will dovetail into the rollout of the EV’s. Battery drain should also occur in EV’s, why wouldn’t it if some of the electrical components have faults.

I bet the EV rollouts underway already provide a readout of the SOC on the dashboard.

I cannot imagine how you could you sell a fully electric car without it. You would have to know how much charge you have and thence an estimate of the average distance you can cover based on your driving style.

We seem to be in a vacuum, a void. Logic says we should be able to be provided a better more timely solution to our issues, but they are just not forthcoming. It is a sad situation.

·
Super Moderator
1,915 Posts
An example today of why just using no-load battery voltage on its own is a poor indicator of battery health.

Two AGM batteries.
Both cars not started for 5 days.
Both measuring 12.1V no load.

With a SOC tester:
Battery 1 reports 100% SOC
Battery 2 reports 59% SOC

·
Registered
14 Posts
Sorry, but I am not sure what this is telling me.

I have heaps of questions to ask that would better put things into perspective for me, but I doubt they would be productive right now.

My apologies but I have come to the conclusion that there are just so many variables affecting outcomes in anything we say regarding such a complex car. My brain simply hurts 😒

What may be right in one car may not be in another.

and I guess I am simply over all this.

and personally from my research AGM batteries are a great choice for use in the car, their technology seems perfectly fitting for the W177. It is old tech, proven, reliable, and appropriate.

It is worth noting that I am a simply customer who knows nothing about batteries before this, and have just trying to understand what is what.

What I know Is from forced reasearch because of my battery drain that cannot be resolved or answered by MB to date.

MB have not been able to tell me anything, they cannot tell me what is normal or what is not. Nor what is their plan of attack.

They are looking into it, that is all I know.

My evidence and research is based on the MB technology that is built into the car, and it tells me that the Stand-by function built and installed by MB in my car, simply does not work. It needs to fixed.

There may be other components in the car that are faulty, causing Stand-by not to function, and cause other battery life issues, I just do not know.

The stand-by feature in my car just does not achieve the battery life expectancy indicated under the MB algorithms, and displayed on the dashboard.

The battery life in my car is poor and unreliable at best but if stand-by works it may give me the confidence I seek, and lower my stress levels.

My problems I believe are with the car Itself, it’s build, it’s configuration and it’s features, not the battery.

And I guess more to the point, I really, really don’t want to know.

I want MB to know, and if they could simply answer my questions and provide the comfort I seek I would not even be on this forum. Simple as.

If others have the same or similar issues around battery life/drain, their is strength in numbers, if not I have to fight on alone.

I do not want to play guessing games with the car each day, will you start or will you not. Especially in a crisis. I did not buy a MB for this outcome.

Each car can be differently configured, and each car can have different electrical components that are faulty, and thus affect battery life.

Their is no simply answer, I get that.

The isolation forced on us by the virus, has brought my concerns into focus.

As I now see it, my concerns are MB issues to resolve. Simple as.

My apologies if I seem edgy, it is just taking sooo long to get the car working to specification that it is taking its toll.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Wow, I thought the replacement battery had eased your discharging problems @First and last, clearly not.

I'm sorry I cant offer any words of wisdom on this except to say that my dealer has said that when they hook a car up to their diag machine they can see which module in the car is putting a load on the car when it's switched off and locked, in other words what is switching itself on and off and draining the battery. With this knowledge they 'should' be able to then do something about it.

In your case,for what ever reason, they don't seem to be doing this. All I can suggest is use this snippet of info to challenge them and ask why they have not found the cause of your battery drain and then give them just one last opportunity to repair it, otherwise you will reject the car (if this is what you can do in Australia). I would suggest doing this in writing addressed to the general manager of the supplying dealership.

I cant see what else you can do, your battery problem is far different from the 3 plus week drain that many of us have experienced in lockdown, so your car seems to have a clear fault on it that needs repairing, as you have given MB several opportunities to repair it you need to bring this to a head one way or the other.

Best of luck

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yowza. That’s incredible. I cannot understand why that has not been applied in my case. This is excellent advice and knowledge. Simple solution. Thank you Thank you.

I am very very happy to hear of the support you have been able to receive.

I have been somewhat staggered by some of the clumsiness that I have been experiencing. The car (W177) would have been released here sometime after your market, usual thing.

So knowledge in our dealerships, maybe also behind yours. But not if they refer to Mercedes on a global basis. So don’t know what is what.

Most of the people in the dealerships here do not seem to know what “stand-by mode” is.

Mercedes, (not the dealer) initially thought I was talking about “stop/start“ and referred me back to the dealers when they found out I wasn’t. They did not apparently have any experience or knowledge around the stand-by Mode

I feel I am educating them. It is dyslexic.

Not heard of the ability to reject a car in our market. I believe Mercedes who own responsibility under warranty, only have to repair it, and this is the only path open to me.

And this is not going anywhere at present. I just want a car that works to specifications.

I will push forward with your info and see where it goes. Thank you thank you thank you

You have given me a lifeline 👍

·
Registered
603 Posts
Not heard of the ability to reject a car in our market. I believe Mercedes who own responsibility under warranty, only have to repair it, and this is the only path open to me.
Yes you do!

Scroll down to If your new car fails to meet the consumer guarantees

Based on the history of your fault and the fact if the car wont start it could put your lives in danger, I think this is what you have implied somewhere earlier in this thread, I would put it in writing that you will give them one last chance to fix it, you don't want it back until they can prove that they have fixed it and that you want a courtesy car whilst they do so.

It might work ..... or not :rolleyes:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Cool. Wow. I will look into this closely.

I really cannot thank you enough. I will keep you informed of my outcome.

Maybe this is why they have been so indecisive to my requests so far.

You truely are a person of many skills.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just had a quick look and yes! I believe you are 100% right.

It looks like the rules have been tightened up.

Gives me good ammunition to push for resolution.

Thank you, thank you thank you

41 - 57 of 57 Posts