Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

61 - 71 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
A180 AMG Line Premium Plus Auto with Distronic (the one bit I wanted!)
57 Posts
Did a good run yesterday (80 miles) just to charge the battery and bought a Ctek and gave it four hours on that. Reading 12.6v at that point (up from 11.7). Never been sure whether I was playing around with buttons which was causing previous battery warnings so I am avoiding that and checkeing daily now. In 24hrs dropped to 12.3v.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Did a good run yesterday (80 miles) just to charge the battery and bought a Ctek and gave it four hours on that. Reading 12.6v at that point (up from 11.7). Never been sure whether I was playing around with buttons which was causing previous battery warnings so I am avoiding that and checkeing daily now. In 24hrs dropped to 12.3v.
As you will have read I did a lot of testing a few months ago and found that the only way to get a reasonable idea of the daily voltage drop is to not use the car for a few days, open the bonnet, lock the car up and test the voltage at the battery with a meter and test at the same time if day.

Of course if you have a State of Charge meter all the better but not many of us have.

Any other way just adds a whole load of variables that make any readings meaningless.

I found that testing this way I had between 0.2 and 0.3v drop per day (possibly due to temp difference), this didn't seem high but it is higher than I would have expected which the dealer agreed with. Apparently they have a diagnostic tool that enables them to historically look at what has been using battery when the car is locked up & on mine they found that one of the CAN bus had been waking up too often so they reset it & put a new battery in. All good for now.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Just a thought, and my 10cents worth of advice, consider dropping the car into the dealer and having the battery checked to see if it will hold a charge.

Not sure of your driving pattern but,

Short trips can drain the battery, but regular long trips to charge the battery can be inconvenient.

If the battery is a dud, best to get it replaced. From what you have mentioned you have received multiple battery critical messages and that is not good. It is possible that your battery will not hold a charge and thus have a bad battery.

A battery test by the dealer will require the car to be left overnight, so it is inconvenient but better in the long run and it can allow the dealer to consider if other tweaks may help.

I am getting the idea that the dealers may be getting more expertise in resolving these issues 😊

·
Registered
A180 AMG Line Premium Plus Auto with Distronic (the one bit I wanted!)
57 Posts
Thank you for your helpful comments. I intend to book the car but wanted a clearer picture of whether the battery was dropping of it's own accord. I had used the in-car display, leaving it long enough to settle, but I take your point Mac and will open the bonnet and test at the battery.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Wow, I thought the replacement battery had eased your discharging problems @First and last, clearly not.

I'm sorry I cant offer any words of wisdom on this except to say that my dealer has said that when they hook a car up to their diag machine they can see which module in the car is putting a load on the car when it's switched off and locked, in other words what is switching itself on and off and draining the battery. With this knowledge they 'should' be able to then do something about it.

In your case,for what ever reason, they don't seem to be doing this. All I can suggest is use this snippet of info to challenge them and ask why they have not found the cause of your battery drain and then give them just one last opportunity to repair it, otherwise you will reject the car (if this is what you can do in Australia). I would suggest doing this in writing addressed to the general manager of the supplying dealership.

I cant see what else you can do, your battery problem is far different from the 3 plus week drain that many of us have experienced in lockdown, so your car seems to have a clear fault on it that needs repairing, as you have given MB several opportunities to repair it you need to bring this to a head one way or the other.

Best of luck
Glad to hear things have stabilised .. pretty much the same for me..

I am resigned to the fact that you must periodically use a charger as part of your normal routine. Further, you must leave your car on a charger if you go away.

They, I believe are the new realities of life. Without knowing battery SOC at any point and whether the battery is charging or drawing power when driving, it pays to use the charger, to be sure, to be sure.

And of course charging the battery fully before going away on leave, and leaving it on trickle charge while away.

My car has been checked over by the dealer and tweaked. I have yet to test the stand by readings as I have previously. I will, but at my leisure, as I am really really over the testing thing. It is what it is.

I have been advised the standby has improved noticeably and my gut feeling is the alternator is charging more readily than before. Watching the dial it seems the charging function is much more responsive. So that is positive as well.

I feel the car is now stable, it holds a charge longer than previously, and will be reliable. And like you, I will use the charger to provide additional confidence and to make sure the battery charge levels are maintained long term.
Just a quick update.

I am definitely getting a better charge in the battery whilst driving the car. The alternator is more sensitive and charging more often and longer than before whilst driving.

On one occasion after normal driving around the local area stopping starting shopping and getting things to eat i.e. Out and about for half a day, I returned a GAIN of 10 wks battery charge ( stand by power readout ) ... yowza, the only way I got that sort of gain before was after around 200km drive and the other day after a simple drive of about 2 kms up the road in school pick up traffic (read stop/start) I gained three wks.

This totally excites me. Before I worried that even if my battery was low but the car would start, Iwould flatten the battery after driving let’s say to a doctors surgery only a short distance away. and be stranded. I was consistently losing battery charge whilst driving the car. As well as in lock down.

My “smart” alternator is now way way more smarter.

So in summary to get over my anxiety, I have

• Had a new battery installed under warranty
  • Bought a charger that seemed to condition the new battery and improved battery performance. Allowing it to hold a charge better.
  • Had the car tweeked at the dealer and now have a smarter alternator, possibly due to new software
And thus now have confidence that under my normal urban driving my battery and car will support my daily needs and I have a charger in reserve to top it up and keep the battery in good condition.

I have not tested battery drain in “ stand by” mode yet ( I have the charger so no urgency anymore, and not sure MB or myself can do any more than has been done to resolve it, if it is still not right) but will test it when we go into lock down again which I expect will happen soon, as the virus spreads it’s second wave.

I may not be any wiser as to the actual cause and what actual improvements were made as no clear explanation has been forthcoming but I can live with the outcome now with less anxiety, and have the charger in reserve ( and for when I go away) to cover any shortcommings.

The real takeaway that gives me pleasure is the smarter alternator, love it, love it, love it.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Sorry, but I have absolutely no idea what you mean.

Is it something to do with UK culture that is going over my head?
It sure is, it went over my head and I'm British 🤣

I had to look it up, she is some sort of minor TV celeb

@veeeight you are giving away your viewing habits 🤣🤣🤣

·
Registered
692 Posts
Just a quick update.

I am definitely getting a better charge in the battery whilst driving the car. The alternator is more sensitive and charging more often and longer than before whilst driving.

On one occasion after normal driving around the local area stopping starting shopping and getting things to eat i.e. Out and about for half a day, I returned a GAIN of 10 wks battery charge ( stand by power readout ) ... yowza, the only way I got that sort of gain before was after around 200km drive and the other day after a simple drive of about 2 kms up the road in school pick up traffic (read stop/start) I gained three wks.

This totally excites me. Before I worried that even if my battery was low but the car would start, Iwould flatten the battery after driving let’s say to a doctors surgery only a short distance away. and be stranded. I was consistently losing battery charge whilst driving the car. As well as in lock down.

My “smart” alternator is now way way more smarter.

So in summary to get over my anxiety, I have

• Had a new battery installed under warranty
  • Bought a charger that seemed to condition the new battery and improved battery performance. Allowing it to hold a charge better.
  • Had the car tweeked at the dealer and now have a smarter alternator, possibly due to new software
And thus now have confidence that under my normal urban driving my battery and car will support my daily needs and I have a charger in reserve to top it up and keep the battery in good condition.

I have not tested battery drain in “ stand by” mode yet ( I have the charger so no urgency anymore, and not sure MB or myself can do any more than has been done to resolve it, if it is still not right) but will test it when we go into lock down again which I expect will happen soon, as the virus spreads it’s second wave.

I may not be any wiser as to the actual cause and what actual improvements were made as no clear explanation has been forthcoming but I can live with the outcome now with less anxiety, and have the charger in reserve ( and for when I go away) to cover any shortcommings.

The real takeaway that gives me pleasure is the smarter alternator, love it, love it, love it.
I'm so pleased that you have a working car at last 😎

61 - 71 of 71 Posts