Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

41 - 60 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
I think the Finnish plant have been building "special" vehicles in the past. For example cabriolet versions for various other brands. If these car manufacturers have chosen Valmet in Finland for the most exclusive and special models, it kind of indicates to me they have the know-how and capability to build quality cars with good fit and fin(n)ish. :)

I have been told my A35 will be built in Rastatt. Glad it is not Hungary reading these threads...

Cheers,
Henrik

·
Registered
218 Posts
What on earth have people got against Hungary, are Hungarian Robots inferior, components are built all over the world.

Freedom of movement in the EU means it not only Germans working in German factories.

My car is built in Hungary and it’s the best built car I’ve ever owned.

My previous Audi was built in Belgium, my Scirocco in Portugal only my Japanese Mazda was built in Japan

·
Registered
468 Posts
What on earth have people got against Hungary, are Hungarian Robots inferior, components are built all over the world.

Freedom of movement in the EU means it not only Germans working in German factories.

My car is built in Hungary and it’s the best built car I’ve ever owned.

My previous Audi was built in Belgium, my Scirocco in Portugal only my Japanese Mazda was built in Japan

I agree. It's very easy to take what is a very small sample of car owners on a forum and extrapolate those experiences into the entire population of cars. I strongly suspect that if the entire output (or a properly stratified sample) of the various car plants were examined, there would be little difference between them. In other words, customers will be as likely to experience issues with a car built in Germany as in Hungary, or Mexico or wherever. Of much greater significance, I suspect, would be the build date.

·
Registered
101 Posts
So I decided to go for it and hope for the best. The car coming out of Hungary was the only one I could find that matches my requirements exactly. Signed for it today and I will let you guys know the quality at the end of January
So I just got my Hungarian car and so far so good, no issues that I can see. No wind noise, paint finish is good, no loud engine noise (but i haven't really tested it, been running the car in still), and no software issues.
It's a December build so maybe they sorted out all quality issues by then.

·
Registered
41 Posts
It looks like my car was also built in Hungary. I've got mine in late November. No issues so far.

After reading these comments, I am now a bit worried. Unfortunately, I cannot say if my engine has a louder noise or not!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Someone may be able to tell me if I've been told the wrong information or not, but I've been told the A250 has been moved to Hungary for production for the right hand drive market. Nothing coming out of Rastatt or Finland anymore for right hand drive. Only doing left hand drive at these plants.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Someone may be able to tell me if I've been told the wrong information or not, but I've been told the A250 has been moved to Hungary for production for the right hand drive market. Nothing coming out of Rastatt or Finland anymore for right hand drive. Only doing left hand drive at these plants.
My A250 was built Nov/Dec in Finland and delivered 2nd Jan. RHD UK spec.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Mine is from J Rastatt , I dont have single problem with it. Build in Dec , got it 3.1.2019 , arrived with new MBUX that some people just started getting recently

·
Registered
69 Posts
Tomorrow I'will finally get my car. Production date 9.1.2019 Rastatt. Let see how this car is build.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Tomorrow I'will finally get my car. Production date 9.1.2019 Rastatt. Let see how this car is build.

You are so lucky, I get my car 31.3 Also Rastatt.

When did you order the car? I ordered my 28.12.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Mines a J, so Rastatt, January build

Hardly any orange peel on paint, no noises, engine seems smooth, A200, Premium pack AMG LINE

·
Registered
72 Posts
Anymore problems with cars made in Hungary?
TBH I think it’s hit and miss with the quality. I’ve a Hungarian built car and it has a list of issues but it’s nowhere near as bad as the loan cars I’ve driven which have been German built. I think the longer you wait the the less likely you are to encounter the dodgy build quality issues. I’ve Had no experience of the Finnish cars.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Hungarian car here, no build quality issues apart from one of the rear door not 100% aligned, it's out by about half a millimeter and doesn't seem to cause any wind noise so I didn't bother to get it fixed as the workshop might just make it worse.
I initially experienced the lag that everyone was talking about, but that's on A200's built anywhere. Once I hit 1000k, it seems to have gone.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I wouldn't buy too much into this theory that one production location, is any better than another production; the directives re quality control tolerances will be set by Daimler AG because each and every car coming off any of the production location lines all have a 3-starred badge.

According to the VIN, my 2019 A200d Sport Premium Plus was built in Rastatt, Germany. In 22-days of ownership, I have the following issues:

- Incessant Rattling/Vibration From Behind The Dashboard: this was present from day 1 and has only been resolved by a main/factory Mercedes-Benz dealer.

- Climate Control/Ventilation: it simply doesn't work and when it does, it has a mind of its own. It either only blows hot air or only blows cold air, nothing in-between nor can it maintain a constant set temperature requested. Furthermore, the temperature sensor is clearly faulty, as it was telling me it was 40C outside in February.

- Driving Assistance Package/Sensors: again it simply doesn't work and when it does, it has a mind of its own. I will be nowhere near an object and it will bong and flash like a gameshow buzzer. I'll be stationary in traffic, move off safely and it will bong and flash like a gameshow buzzer or insist I check my surroundings for the next minute whilst on the move.

- Rear Windscreen Wiper Nozzle: has not worked for the first 21 days, but kicked into life today and barely spurts out wash after taking several pushes of the pertinent button to do so - it is not a consistent, decent coverage jet required to clean the screen.

Basically, it's pot luck.

·
Registered
773 Posts
1st car registered September 18 was built in Hungary. Problems included arriving with satnav not working, then the update to fix caused faults with the parking sensors, MBUX online connection, Bluetooth connection and reversing camara, plus a few other niggles. Six months later and the dealership says that the fixed it, but not before I got a replacement.

2nd car registered March 19 was built in Hungary and no problems until today when I got a rattle from the dash on a pebble dashed road.

I think Mercedes have had to scrimp on the build quality to save some money and stay competitive.

·
Registered
212 Posts
1st car registered September 18 was built in Hungary. Problems included arriving with satnav not working, then the update to fix caused faults with the parking sensors, MBUX online connection, Bluetooth connection and reversing camara, plus a few other niggles. Six months later and the dealership says that the fixed it, but not before I got a replacement.

2nd car registered March 19 was built in Hungary and no problems until today when I got a rattle from the dash on a pebble dashed road.

I think Mercedes have had to scrimp on the build quality to save some money and stay competitive.
Yes does make you wonder how the dealers can offer £4000 to £6000 discounts on a new model and what the profit margin is.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Daimler group net profit for 2017 was 10.9 billion euros on revenues of 164 billion euros. I think there is some financial capacity to spend a bit more on build quality....

41 - 60 of 81 Posts