Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been lurking here for awhile doing my research and would appreciate some experienced advice.

I am currently thinking of changing my VW Golf GT DCT Auto for an A200 AMG Line. The Golf came with ACC (Automatic Cruise Control) as standard and though initially sceptical about using it I now use it a lot.

The VW can come to a complete halt with ACC and you also use it in start/stop traffic. I have found the MB information a bit confusing about full functionality as there seems to be a Distronic and Distronic+ and the description in the A-Class brouchure only says "Active Distance Assist DISTRONIC helps maintain the desired distance from the vehicle in front"

Can anyone enlighten me to how the Distronic actually works in practice and what experiences you have had with it if you have it fitted (I can't believe MB don't fit it as standard; VW were 8 years ago!). I can't find a dealer with an A-Class with it fitted to test drive either.

I know I have to specify a Premium+ model and order the Driving Assistance Package in the UK to get Distronic, I'm just glad I was keen on having a sunroof.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

·
Registered
A35, Black Premium
341 Posts
I've been lurking here for awhile doing my research and would appreciate some experienced advice.

I am currently thinking of changing my VW Golf GT DCT Auto for an A200 AMG Line. The Golf came with ACC (Automatic Cruise Control) as standard and though initially sceptical about using it I now use it a lot.

The VW can come to a complete halt with ACC and you also use it in start/stop traffic. I have found the MB information a bit confusing about full functionality as there seems to be a Distronic and Distronic+ and the description in the A-Class brouchure only says "Active Distance Assist DISTRONIC helps maintain the desired distance from the vehicle in front"

Can anyone enlighten me to how the Distronic actually works in practice and what experiences you have had with it if you have it fitted (I can't believe MB don't fit it as standard; VW were 8 years ago!). I can't find a dealer with an A-Class with it fitted to test drive either.

I know I have to specify a Premium+ model and order the Driving Assistance Package in the UK to get Distronic, I'm just glad I was keen on having a sunroof.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
You will probably have to factory order to get it and just as a warning the dealer will say 3 months but it will take a lot longer, i’m currently on my 6th month waiting. For the system I haven’t personally used it but I have heard it’s one of the best systems in the game

·
Super Moderator
3,637 Posts
VW Group and M-B both use the Bosch system for ACC/Active Distance Control, it is the same system.

Spec the Driving Assistance Pack to get it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the feedback it been most helpful. I did read somewhere that Distronic+ will bring the car to a complete stop under normal conditions while the Distronic only works down to about 15-20mph before handing braking back the driver. Does the A-Class version do a complete stop like the VW?

Also sounds like ordering maybe a bit of nightmare if you have been waiting for 6 months on a 3 month estimate … better get it sorted before the end of 2020 and all the prices change!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hello,

I switched from a Golf VII 1.4TSI with DSG to an A200 AMG line. Here in Denmark we can spec Distronic without the driving assistent package so I have only Distronic in mine (kinda wish that I had chosen the full pack but that’s another story).

Mostly the two systems behave the same. My VW would automatically resume after coming to a standstill if the traffic started moving within a few seconds. The MB does not do that. It detects that the traffic starts moving and starts the engine but you need to press resume or touch the pedal to get it moving. Other than that it’s behaving the same and I would never choose a car without it again.

·
Registered
54 Posts
a180d
The 30 sec extended restart move off only works on multi lane highways!
in town it’s just only a couple of seconds after that it’s touch either resume button or press the accelerator

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
The UK spec Driving Assistance Pack (might be different to other counties) gives you a bunch of driving aids, not just the Distronic+ adaptive cruise control. It also self steers to keep you in lane. It changes lane if you indicate and the lane is clear on a motorway. It has blind spot detection and warnings in the wing mirrors, and it pre-tensions the seat belts if it detects a potential collision. I think it does some other things too, but can’t recall off the top of my head.

It's one of the best options on the A Class IMO and well worth having if you can justify the intial cost.

Reactions: A220

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Oh and how could I forget... DAP equipped cars don’t suffer with the sometimes quite disconcerting lane assist effects where the system brakes one side of the car to pull it back into lane if it thinks you’re drifting out. All well and good, but many on this forum have reported it as shocking when it happens and even a little violent. As I say, DAP equipped cars don’t do this in my experience.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My first visit here because I was searching to find whether anyone else had been close to being killed by the DAP. In over 50 years of driving it is the maddest, most dangerous gimmick I've ever come across. The dealer just shrugged his shoulders when I asked for it to be switched off - he said I can do that but it comes back automatically when I next start the car.
The problem comes when overtaking on a dual carriageway - you pull out to overtake, experiencing the lane assist trying to stop you, then you accelerate & get safely past & overcome the lane assist back into the previous lane AND THE BRAKES COME FULLY ON & THE CAR BEHIND NEARLY RAMS YOU!
I've had this happen twice & my wife once.
The car goes in next week for a small trim warranty fix & I'm going to tell them to take it back if they can't turn the system off permanently - & we'll go back to BMW.

·
Registered
A200d Prem+ DAP
221 Posts
I’ve never experienced any issues with DAP although in all fairness I don’t use dual carriageways much. It’s certainly never applied full brakes at any time.
Sounds like something is wrong with your car to me

·
Registered
65 Posts
My first visit here because I was searching to find whether anyone else had been close to being killed by the DAP. In over 50 years of driving it is the maddest, most dangerous gimmick I've ever come across. The dealer just shrugged his shoulders when I asked for it to be switched off - he said I can do that but it comes back automatically when I next start the car.
The problem comes when overtaking on a dual carriageway - you pull out to overtake, experiencing the lane assist trying to stop you, then you accelerate & get safely past & overcome the lane assist back into the previous lane AND THE BRAKES COME FULLY ON & THE CAR BEHIND NEARLY RAMS YOU!
I've had this happen twice & my wife once.
The car goes in next week for a small trim warranty fix & I'm going to tell them to take it back if they can't turn the system off permanently - & we'll go back to BMW.
I personally find driver assistance pack amazing and makes my journeys much more relaxed. Ive had it try to slam on before when using it on a normal road when it has seen a parked car but I just pushed my foot on the accelerator quickly and the system cancelled the braking. I think driver assistance will only brake so much anyway so you’ve got time to retake control unlike the collision assist (unsure of actual name) which is standard on all cars and will fully brake.
It does need improvements though, I don’t think the Lane keeping technology is the best on lane marked road such as motorways, I actually think it works best on normal roads where the system follows the movements of the car in front.
I’ve had situations before where I’ve been in moving traffic and distronic has suddenly put the accelerator on and the vehicle in front has disappeared off the display.

I agree your system doesn’t seem right to be doing that on a dual carriageway. Can the dealer look at resetting the software or seeing if the systems can be recalibrated. I’m assuming it isn’t braking in response to a vehicle that is in front of you when you move lane?

·
Registered
A200 AMG Line Premium Plus
38 Posts
Was your indicator on when you changed lane? It should deactivate lane keeping assist temporarily. If you forgot then it could explain why your car braked, thinking you were drifting.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Many thanks for your responses. Yes, we both always indicate to pull out to overtake (& have never noticed the lane control fail to give the wheel a nudge whilst doing so) and each time when the brakes are applied by the system the road in front has been completely empty.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just spoke to the service dept & the lad I spoke to has had the same thing happen to him, the car is going in next week for investigation - apparently they can't turn it off but they can reduce the sensitivities.
Let's hope that's the solution.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts