Mercedes A-Class Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
A200d AMG Premium
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've had problems with incorrect destination when adding coordinates (Longitude and Latitude) to the satnav system. This is the last menu item on the left when opening the "where to" menu. I've tried several different coordinates but they all come back with a location way off the true pos'n. So, the car spent all afternoon with MB having a major software update and yes, you guessed it.... no better. As a side issue, the postcode navigation was a bit sketchy but that seems slightly improved.
Somebody please try theirs and tell me what they find. Thanks P.
ps. Google Maps is a good source for coordinates by dropping a pin.

·
Registered
98 Posts
ps. Google Maps is a good source for coordinates by dropping a pin.
You can always send the location from Google Maps on your phone to the car's MBUX system.
*After choosing a location in GMaps, click the Share icon, then choose Mercedes Me as the app you want to share it with. The MMe app will open. Click send, and the location will show up as a message on your MBUX. When you open the message, you can save the location or just navigate to it.
It's a pretty cool thing.

·
Registered
A200d AMG Premium
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can always send the location from Google Maps on your phone to the car's MBUX system.
*After choosing a location in GMaps, click the Share icon, then choose Mercedes Me as the app you want to share it with. The MMe app will open. Click send, and the location will show up as a message on your MBUX. When you open the message, you can save the location or just navigate to it.
Ah ok thanks, I didn't know that, I will give it a go. Mind you, I'm still doubtful the system will work correctly, postcodes seem to have improved since the update but coordinates are still well adrift.

·
Super Moderator
1,964 Posts
I swear by and always use What3words. Find your destination and pinpoint to within 3 metres where you are going. Then send it to the car via MM

·
Registered
A200d AMG Premium
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I swear by and always use What3words. Find your destination and pinpoint to within 3 metres where you are going. Then send it to the car via MM
Thanks, I'll give that a try too. I tried Garypen's suggestion and that worked very well.... that will be a couple of very useful methods. However, I'm still perplexed as to why the coordinate method isn't working, it is after all a feature of the navigation system. Thing like this do irritate me profusely. Thanks for your suggestions tho.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I've seen a number of folks here posting about W3W. But, I don't understand what advantage it has over Google Maps. Can you elaborate as to what makes it better than just using GMaps?

·
Super Moderator
1,964 Posts
The ability to search and find any 3x3 metre patch on earth. You can pinpoint an exact place in a car park. Once found you can send the location to your car to navigate via mbux or open in google or Apple maps.
BEBEBC0D-3B26-4E73-BB3C-D69CDE6B0C46.png
1C42DF16-A34F-4FEC-8805-82D0E0AFBE31.jpeg
65EEE37D-EC52-4FEA-BEE4-9A0FDBA255D1.png

·
Super Moderator
4,007 Posts
Plus when trying to navigate to someone else’s house in the middle of nowhere, it’s much easier for them to give you a W3W reference, rather than address, postcode, coordinates etc.

In the UK all the emergency services use W3W, so if you’re in the middle of a forest they can find you.

·
Super Moderator
4,007 Posts
However, I'm still perplexed as to why the coordinate method isn't working, it is after all a feature of the navigation system.
Are you entering as degrees, minutes and seconds, as opposed to degrees and decimal minutes?
I think the mobile app only gives degrees and decimal minutes.

·
Registered
98 Posts
The ability to search and find any 3x3 metre patch on earth. You can pinpoint an exact place in a car park. Once found you can send the location to your car to navigate via mbux or open in google or Apple maps.
Interesting. But, I can already pinpoint places directly in Google Maps, and send to MBUX. But, since it sounded interesting, I tried the W3W Auto app, as it is supposed to work directly with MMe-enabled vehicles. However, I got an error just trying to log into MMe from within the app. It may be because my MMe account location is Japan. I might try the standard W3W app next, and see if that provides any value to me beyond what I already can achieve with G Maps.

·
Super Moderator
1,964 Posts
I just use the standard w3w. I don’t need to log into anything.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I just use the standard w3w. I don’t need to log into anything.
Thanks. As I said, I thought I'd try 3WordAuto first, as it links directly with MBUX-enabled vehicles through MMe, which does require logging into MMe. It really did sound useful, if I could use it that way. You may want to try it. 3WordAuto - Apps on Google Play
But, as it kept giving me an error when trying to log in, I uninstalled it and installed the standard W3W app instead. Funnily enough, when I attempted to save the sqare in front of my house, it required a W3W account login, either through Google, Facebook, or Email. I guess I don't need a login, if I don't want to save any locations. But, not being able to save locations would certainly render the app less useful to me.
I'll try it out this week, and see if it provides any added value over Google Maps.

Reactions: steve_3939

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
The issue i found with this method is that although it works Gmaps sends the post code rather than the actual location you pinpointed on the map. However, if instead of Gmaps you use the MM app and pinpoint the location on that map it will send this actual location to the car.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I love W3W but the last time I tried it it didn't work with MM on Android. W3W sends the location to MM but it doesn't recognise it. I believe Apple works correctly though.

As I said above though you can get the same result just using MM

·
Registered
A200d AMG Premium
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Are you entering as degrees, minutes and seconds, as opposed to degrees and decimal minutes?
I think the mobile app only gives degrees and decimal minutes.

No I'm entering the coordinates as degrees, minutes and seconds, it's the only option within the MBUX Navigation system.

·
Registered
A200d Prem+ DAP
255 Posts
I particularly like the easy way of saving locations to folders in W3W. It means that you can save a lot of locations as favourites, but categorise them for easy recall

·
Registered
A200d AMG Premium
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No I'm entering the coordinates as degrees, minutes and seconds, it's the only option within the MBUX Navigation system.
Oddly enough the car knows where it is if I check the compass/coordinates page, it simply gets confused if I enter the cooedinates of another location.

·
Registered
A200d AMG Premium
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
How are you converting Google Maps App Decimal minutes to minutes and seconds?
Google maps was giving me both, degrees, minutes etc and decimal. However, it seems to have stopped giving me both options leaving decimal only......in that case I can use my phone's calculator to convert.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts