Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone please advise me how long ago Euro/UK A Class W177’s were able to connect to Mercedes Me and receive the online services ?
I was told by my dealer (in Australia) today that my car (built early November) is not able to connect ?? and they said I can’t retrofit the module that makes it all work either ??
Surely that can’t be right? I’ve only had the car 5 weeks and it’s already old tech ?
Pretty sure they have that wrong but if they don’t then I’ll be pushing for them to somehow sort it out because I bought the car after being informed by the sales guy that it would be able to connect and receive a range on online services once Me went live in Oz which it did last month !! Pretty p***ed at the moment.

·
Registered
846 Posts
It's not available yet in OZ but if you look for posts from gregg think he's been told it's imminent

We've had it since day 1 of the 177 afaik

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's not available yet in OZ but if you look for posts from gregg think he's been told it's imminent

We've had it since day 1 of the 177 afaik
I called MB Australia and they said it was launched last month? and the W177 A Class can only get it if it was built after a certain date, but no idea what that date is ?

·
Registered
405 Posts
Although different countries were given different spec cars, with different functions added as standard, options or not available at all, I can't believe that any of the manufacturing plants are assembling cars with hardware that is non-MBUX compatible.

The W177 was designed totally around MBUX, as a replacement for the old Command system. I'm sure that once they release a fully-functioning Me, you'll get the rest of the functionality as well.

One thing that does seem consistent in every country: the MB dealers know practically nothing about the digital aspects of the car - which of course means pretty much everything.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Although different countries were given different spec cars, with different functions added as standard, options or not available at all, I can't believe that any of the manufacturing plants are assembling cars with hardware that is non-MBUX compatible.

The W177 was designed totally around MBUX, as a replacement for the old Command system. I'm sure that once they release a fully-functioning Me, you'll get the rest of the functionality as well.

One thing that does seem consistent in every country: the MB dealers know practically nothing about the digital aspects of the car - which of course means pretty much everything.
Totally agree, funny thing is my car is loaded with driver aids, lane change assist, heads up display, intelligent light system etc so I can’t for the life of me understand why they would not fit a module that future proofs the car even though the system is not available in that country? Just makes no sense.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hi Shillo

It sounds like you are in the same position as me. @tom171 has some Mercedes Me functionality in his car which was built in Dec 2018. He has created a post on this previously displaying some of the options in the App.

My dealer said that old cars get the Mercedes Me connect adapter but my car was too new for it yet it didn't get fitted with the communications module and so I don't have the Mercedes Me functionality either. Last time I spoke to them they said my car was a grey area because they cannot retro fit the communications part and its incompatible with the plug in adapter. I am due to visit them tomorrow about other issues and will follow this up then as they gloss over it when I bring it up in an email.

I really don't understand why they didn't fit it and turn it off in software if it was available at the time. They seem to have done that with other features like the road sign and traffic light functionality.

·
Registered
39 Posts
It’s extremely frustrating. There was no reason to specifically remove the communication module from 2018 models especially when the service was pending launch. Just seems like penny pinching at this stage and creating confusion for everyone involved.

As @Wheelybug mentioned, my Dec 18 has been connected to Mercedes Me but some functionalities are still missing (tho the app and customer service promised that they’re fixing it). Some features seen overseas is not even available so makes me wonder whether the module I have is the same as the ones overseas or a “lite” version. Guess I’ll just have to wait and see.

I can understand your frustration as I was equally pissed off when I was mistakenly told by my dealership that my car wasn’t going to have Mercedes Me and couldn’t be retrofitted. Hope you come to some sort of a solution with them.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
There are a whole host of reasons (apart from cost) as to why a particular module or feature may have been omitted during early manufacture in certain markets, regulatory approval (or lack of) being one of them.

For example, Telstra and Optus use a LTE/4G frequency band that isn’t used in the UK/Europe, so the AUS hardware will be different to UK/EU.

A retrofit is usually possible, but whether Daimler AG allows dealers to do this is another ball game.

·
Registered
65 Posts
While I agree that regulations and things play a factor in it I think in my case Mercedes Australia got hold of some 250 4Matics early on that didn’t have all the features and pushed them out as limited editions with a lower price.

I am more pissed off with the sales tactics, I was willing to wait but the salesman said my car would be the same as the latest 250 4Matic with AMG but at a cheaper price before general release and I would have all the features I had described from the videos when they became available.

They gave me a good discount and I think that will come into play at sale time as I may have to say it doesn’t have the features other cars do. It’s the same old thing I guess that once you have paid you are no longer important.

From what I have been told the Hermes communicator module uses an esim and I would assume it works like your average wifi adapter or mobile with it’s gsm range.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
While I agree that regulations and things play a factor in it I think in my case Mercedes Australia got hold of some 250 4Matics early on that didn’t have all the features and pushed them out as limited editions with a lower price.

I am more pissed off with the sales tactics, I was willing to wait but the salesman said my car would be the same as the latest 250 4Matic with AMG but at a cheaper price before general release and I would have all the features I had described from the videos when they became available.

They gave me a good discount and I think that will come into play at sale time as I may have to say it doesn’t have the features other cars do. It’s the same old thing I guess that once you have paid you are no longer important.

From what I have been told the Hermes communicator module uses an esim and I would assume it works like your average wifi adapter or mobile with it’s gsm range.
The thing is it never came up when we were putting the car together in the sales managers office, I didn’t think to bring it up cause I thought it didn’t have to be optioned as i thought it was standard kit, I had spoken to 2 junior sales guys about Me Connect on several occasions prior too and after placing my order, and they were talking about what you could do with it and later I queried with them when it would go live and one of them gave me a date of March 26th, and at no point did they say “but it won’t be on your car”?? Really pissed off now though, I optioned Keyless Go because I thought I needed it to do remote unlock with the phone (I presumed you needed NFC) ended up with chromed top part of door handles as a result when I thought I was ordering body coloured handles, (as on display in the showroom without Keyless Go) they said apparently “all Australian Keyless Go come with Chrome”, I get over that at handover and now this ??

·
Registered
65 Posts
I had my visit to the dealer but got no real answers. Just the same comments about Hermes modules and my car being in a grey area but they will let me know when they hear something. They said even though Mercedes Me has launched they are still ironing out the bugs and features.

Seems a bit rubbish when it’s been around in Europe and the UK since launch. It’s not like it’s a tiny car company with no global presence.

I have thought about contacting MB Australia but they usually push me to the specifications document or the dealer.

I hope buyers in Australia are made more aware of the limitations if they choose a second hand model as well.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I had my visit to the dealer but got no real answers. Just the same comments about Hermes modules and my car being in a grey area but they will let me know when they hear something. They said even though Mercedes Me has launched they are still ironing out the bugs and features.

Seems a bit rubbish when it’s been around in Europe and the UK since launch. It’s not like it’s a tiny car company with no global presence.

I have thought about contacting MB Australia but they usually push me to the specifications document or the dealer.

I hope buyers in Australia are made more aware of the limitations if they choose a second hand model as well.

I wouldn't run away with the idea that just because it has been around in Europe, it has anything like the functionality that was promised. It is limited in most respects other than vehicle telematics, while the Me App seems to have been designed by a third year student.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I had an email back from Mercedes Australia as follows:

Thank you for your email regarding your A-Class and access to Mercedes-Me Connect.

Mercedes-Me Connect was fully launched into the Australia Market during February 2019, this coincided with the arrival of the first fully connected vehicles. To help identify these vehicles there are two call buttons located above the windscreen, near the rear vision mirror and interior light switches. These buttons are marked with Mercedes-Me Connect and the other SOS in red with a protective hinged cover.

At this time the W177 series hasn’t been fitted with Mercedes-Me Connectivity.

If you have any further queries, please feel free to contact me directly.

Just an FYI for anyone else that was expecting it:)

·
Registered
39 Posts
...To help identify these vehicles there are two call buttons located above the windscreen, near the rear vision mirror and interior light switches. These buttons are marked with Mercedes-Me Connect and the other SOS in red with a protective hinged cover.

It’s strange that they say none of the W177 series in Australia has been fitted with Mercedes Me Connectivity. My car has a sticker on the windscreen that says Mercedes Me on it. And it has a Mercedes Me button and a SOS button that was described. Odd.

But they still haven’t managed to activate all the functionalities my app promises so I don’t know where my car stands really in terms of Mercedes Me Connectivity.

Attachments

·
Registered
65 Posts
Are you sure you have a W177 @tom171? 😆 Maybe you have a W178 lol

I thought it was a bit of an iffy response from them as my dealer says different but it was worth a shot.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Are you sure you have a W177 @tom171? 😆 Maybe you have a W178 lol

I thought it was a bit of an iffy response from them as my dealer says different but it was worth a shot.
Maybe my car travelled back in time from the future. Lol. 😆 Who knows at this stage, it’s almost laughable how confused MB Australia themselves seems to be and we can’t even get consistent info from them.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I had an email back from Mercedes Australia as follows:

Thank you for your email regarding your A-Class and access to Mercedes-Me Connect.

Mercedes-Me Connect was fully launched into the Australia Market during February 2019, this coincided with the arrival of the first fully connected vehicles. To help identify these vehicles there are two call buttons located above the windscreen, near the rear vision mirror and interior light switches. These buttons are marked with Mercedes-Me Connect and the other SOS in red with a protective hinged cover.

If you have any further queries, please feel free to contact me directly.

Just an FYI for anyone else that was expecting it/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif
That’s ****, i’m still waiting for Me tech to respond to my email, my dealer said he would call me on Tuesday but it must have slipped his mind as I’m still waiting for the call! Not untypical of him though, never called me back when he said he would, all in all, another shite sales experience from the boys at MB, my missus thought I was mad getting another one after the fiasco with the W176 but I love the car, not giving up though, as far as I’m concerned, 2 sales guys advised me it would be on the car and no one said it wouldn’t, they even advised me when it would be launched so WTF ? mb needs to fix this BS
Please keep the updates coming, surely if enough people complain, it may force them to do something about it but I doubt there will be an adapter available this time for the 177 as it seems like only AU cars are affected which would be a small number.

·
Registered
39 Posts
That’s ****, i’m still waiting for Me tech to respond to my email
I don’t even know if anyone is monitoring the emails from the Me Australian portal. I sent an email more than 2 weeks ago and go an automated confirmation that they’ve received the email. Haven’t heard anything since.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts