Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the United Kingdom, the "new" A14(M) South Huntingdon Bypass road was opened on 9 December 2019. However it is nine months later and Mercedes has still not added this new highway to their maps. (I just manually uploaded the latest maps today 15 September 2020 to check).

This is not some little back road; it is a major 6 lane highway; it really irritates me when I am driving at 70mph along a major 6 lane highway, and Mercedes keeps warning me that I am off road.

=> What must I do to force Mercedes to include this major road on their maps?

PS I phoned my local Mercedes dealer about it, and he advised me that if I want updated maps, then I should ditch the Mercedes app and use Android Auto instead. C'mon Mercedes, that is not the right answer to get from an accredited Mercedes dealer!

·
Super Moderator
2,436 Posts
UK W177 Maps are provided by HERE mapping, so it's up to them to add new roads to their mapping database (which they probably already have).

Updates to OE Manufacturers typically only happen annually, so if you're lucky, it might appear in 12 months, from the last release.....

I'm just saying this is how it works with all Automotive OE hard disk based mapping (as opposed to internet based map delivery), so in one sense the dealer is correct, if you want up to date internet delivered mapping, you need to access a live map database, not one on a hard drive in the car.

In the W176 we had Garmin (before that Becker) provide the mapping for the Navigation, it was a good 3 years after the opening of the A556 link road from the M6 to M56 (Manchester Airport) before it appeared on a Garmin map update. Till then, I was driving in a field.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi @veeeight many thanks for the response.

Updates to OE Manufacturers typically only happen annually, so if you're lucky, it might appear in 12 months, from the last release
The A14(M) opened in December 2019. The latest v13.2 map update was in February 2020, which did not include the A14(M). So you think I have to wait until February 2021 (14 months) to get it. Or??

so in one sense the dealer is correct, if you want up to date internet delivered mapping, you need to access a live map database, not one on a hard drive in the car.
That would be a reasonable suggestion, if only Android Auto was not so crippled in the A-Class. What's the point of having those beautiful hi-res wide screens, if you are forced to run apps in lo-res narrow screen mode? Arrgh!

·
Registered
468 Posts
You have to bear in mind that there has been an issue that has hampered all sorts of different types of development over the past six months; it's called a pandemic.

Working at home with the extremely large files involved in a map update is not very easy at all. Before all this, map updates were quite frequent, but it's no surprise at all that the frequency has dipped in recent months. No amount of complaining will change the reality.

·
Registered
229 Posts
To my amazement a temporary 30mph speed limit on a 50mph road undergoing extensive roadworks near me showed up on my screen just a couple days later. Quite impressed.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
To my amazement a temporary 30mph speed limit on a 50mph road undergoing extensive roadworks near me showed up on my screen just a couple days later. Quite impressed.
Are you sure that it isn't coming from the road signs. On my car the forward camera reads the road speed limit signs, and whatever speed limit value it reads will override the value from the GPS map (so in that respect it is dynamically updated).

·
Registered
229 Posts
Are you sure that it isn't coming from the road signs. On my car the forward camera reads the road speed limit signs, and whatever speed limit value it reads will override the value from the GPS map (so in that respect it is dynamically updated).
Ah, yes. That's probably what happened.

·
Super Moderator
2,436 Posts
Hmm. The files are about 2.5GB. I downloaded the files for UK, France, Italy, Benelux to my home PC in less then 10 minutes.
That sounds suspiciously small, it could be a subset of the complete set.

Previous updates of maps have been around 28GB

·
Registered
784 Posts
I'm on v13.2 and I have the A14M Southern bypass on the Me app as well as in the car 😎

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm on v13.2 and I have the A14M Southern bypass on the Me app as well as in the car
You are only partly correct. Yes the road is indeed visible on the maps. Like a forest or a lake. But it will not include that road in the navigation. When you are driving on the road, it actively tries to force you to take the next turn off it. It is as if the road is “disabled” or “prohibited” in some way.

·
Registered
2020 A200 AMG line premium plus with DAP
100 Posts
You are only partly correct. Yes the road is indeed visible on the maps. Like a forest or a lake. But it will not include that road in the navigation. When you are driving on the road, it actively tries to force you to take the next turn off it. It is as if the road is “disabled” or “prohibited” in some way.
I have a local road like that too. It's a well used road that cuts through a forest, but the navigation does everything it can to stop me using it, even though it shows me driving down it. I suspect, and maybe in your case too, that there is a blip somewhere along the road that makes it look like it doesn't go all the way through.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I think the fundamental problem is that they have "one" map for too big an area, say the UK, and think they have to update it in one go. When they get their heads round "Over the air" thinking maps could be updated monthly. Better still use a live map (like waze or google) and only have the "stored map" as a backup when the car does not have an internet connection.
But then I am a Rocket Scientist with a brain the size of a planet, you can't expect a small firm like mercedes to be up to date.

·
Registered
3 Posts
In Australia, my house is on an island within a suburb. It was man-made 20 years ago but HERE maps stiil does not show it.
Google Maps:

HERE Maps:

Mind you this is just scenery not roads.

·
Super Moderator
2,436 Posts
if anyone has a problem with the (UK) on-board maps -

please report it to HERE - you might get it changed, as opposed to solely highlighting it on this forum ;)

ie: Closed Road, No through Road, Wrong address Mapping error etc.

Report it here:

@Macgd016 solved another forum user's problem when the Nav wouldn't route them via one particular road, turns out the road had a "dead end" on the maps.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Navigating from Ellington to Bar Hill using Here Maps or the Mercedes Me app takes you via the A14M Huntingdon Southern Bypass so Here maps would seem to be up to date. This seems to indicate that this isnt a Here maps issue after all but more likely that Mercedes haven't implemented the latest Here maps version.

Unless of course Mercedes haven't paid their Here Maps licence fee and don't have the latest version, but it is almost inconceivable that a company with a huge reputation such as Mercedes would not pay for the use of someone else's IPR 😱 🤣 🤣 🤣

·
Super Moderator
2,436 Posts
HERE used to be Nokia............. ;)

(Joking aside though, the payment or non payment of royalties etc. is a pretty common occurrence within the Automotive Industry, for example, the use of front heated windscreens and patents, and non-payments by various automotive manufacturers to another). It all gets resolved eventually, by non-payment, and by agreements of use, more commonly, by 'bartering' use of competing technologies and patents held by the other side.

·
Registered
784 Posts
HERE used to be Nokia............. ;)
Indeed it did and HERE is now owned by Daimler, BMW, VAG and others so there 'should' be no issue over licence fees anyway.

It's probably just another case of sloppy s/w management which MB seem to excel at.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts