Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after over six months of painstakingly documenting a number of faults on my A250 Mercedes have finally said that they cannot or will not be fixing them. These are all software related faults and in some cases I have provided them with video evidence but they are not interested in looking into any of them despite some being advertised features of the MBUX system that they are rolling out into all new models. I must say that I am very surprised by this as it is either supreme arrogance or stupidity in my mind.

I would also like to thank everyone who has helped me expand my knowledge of the A Class, their input has been really useful in trying to understand some of these faults.

Also although I am currently piXXed off with Mercedes I am not listing the issues I have found to in any way reduce any other owners enjoyment of the car or to try and undermined the brand but just to help anyone else who is struggling with the same issues I have had.

I am happy to go into detail on any or all of the issues I list below but they will be lengthy replies so for now I will just give the headlines.

1. Speed Limit Assist - Not showing the correct speed symbol or no symbol, symbols disappearing at junctions (or any time really!) and 70MPH on Mway not showing for a couple of miles.

2. Active Lane Assist - Reacting to lines of bitumen, water rivulets or bus stop markings etc

3. Proximity sensors sounding when turning right into a side road after traffic has past.

4. Personal PIO's on FU2/063 not giving alarm

5. Easy Exit/Entry - Seat not always moving to correct driving position

6. Top LED passenger side strip - not as bright as all other strips

7. Battery voltage dropping to critical level if not driven for 3 weeks.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Well after over six months of painstakingly documenting a number of faults on my A250 Mercedes have finally said that they cannot or will not be fixing them. These are all software related faults and in some cases I have provided them with video evidence but they are not interested in looking into any of them despite some being advertised features of the MBUX system that they are rolling out into all new models. I must say that I am very surprised by this as it is either supreme arrogance or stupidity in my mind.

I would also like to thank everyone who has helped me expand my knowledge of the A Class, their input has been really useful in trying to understand some of these faults.

Also although I am currently piXXed off with Mercedes I am not listing the issues I have found to in any way reduce any other owners enjoyment of the car or to try and undermined the brand but just to help anyone else who is struggling with the same issues I have had.

I am happy to go into detail on any or all of the issues I list below but they will be lengthy replies so for now I will just give the headlines.

1. Speed Limit Assist - Not showing the correct speed symbol or no symbol, symbols disappearing at junctions (or any time really!) and 70MPH on Mway not showing for a couple of miles.

2. Active Lane Assist - Reacting to lines of bitumen, water rivulets or bus stop markings etc

3. Proximity sensors sounding when turning right into a side road after traffic has past.

Are you going to keep it or reject it?

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you going to keep it or reject it?
I'm not sure, I'm deliberating and having a look at a few other cars. I've been offered a price by the dealer but of course its less than I paid for it and although it would be a trouble free way out I think I could probably get a bit more if I sold it privately.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Active Lane Assist - Reacting to lines of bitumen, water rivulets or bus stop markings etc -- very annoying this one it's so sensitive.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
I'm not sure, I'm deliberating and having a look at a few other cars. I've been offered a price by the dealer but of course its less than I paid for it and although it would be a trouble free way out I think I could probably get a bit more if I sold it privately.
I guess the question to ask yourself @Macgd016 is will these issues annoy you to the point of ruining your ownership experience? If you think they will, then I think you should sell/trade in and move on if this is a reasonable option for you. There is no point in being stuck with a car that just irritates you every time you drive it.

If you do decide to change, and if you did feel like you wanted to get back inside another W177 (probably not after your experience with MB), then maybe spec the Driving Assistance Pack. It doesn't suffer the issues you've experienced and reported for points 1, 2 & 3.

I can't comment on point 4 because I don't use personal POIs.

Point 5 I can't say I've noticed in my car.

Point 6 my cars LED interior strips are all uniform.

Point 7 my battery was displaying partially charged after 3-4 weeks of not being used during the beginning of the lock down.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Yes I agree my d180 also I have noticed. So I put it on a trickle charge, a bit inconvenient. long stay at a Airport

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I guess the question to ask yourself @Macgd016 is will these issues annoy you to the point of ruining your ownership experience? If you think they will, then I think you should sell/trade in and move on if this is a reasonable option for you. There is no point in being stuck with a car that just irritates you every time you drive it.
It is indeed 😕

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you do decide to change, and if you did feel like you wanted to get back inside another W177 (probably not after your experience with MB), then maybe spec the Driving Assistance Pack. It doesn't suffer the issues you've experienced and reported for points 1, 2 & 3.
You are right I don't think I could be convinced to 'buy' another MB for some time but if they offer me a replacement (which they wont) its the Advanced Nav pack that sorts the Speed Limit Assist, or probably the Traffic Sign Assist, that is part of that pack so as this is my main gripe I would be looking for that.

Mind you it seems perverse to me that you need the Traffic Sign Assist package to get the Speed Limit Assist to work correctly. Mercedes Technical have tried to explain to me that because Speed Limit Assist only uses a camera plus State of the Art AI technology it is difficult for Customers to understand why it does not always show the correct speed symbol. They are certainly right about that :rolleyes:

Then they have said that to always give the correct speed symbol it needs input from the maps which you only get with Traffic Sign Assist, there must be some sort of Bavarian logic coming into play here because most of us would assume that Speed Limit Assist would show you the correct speed symbols and Traffic Sign Assist would show you.......well traffic signs 🤣

·
Registered
11 Posts
These are minor things mate. I’ve had quite a few of these issues with my car too.. Not trying to start an argument but think about it all logically...

The speed signs are done by (correct me if I’m wrong) the camera built into the centre of the windscreen. They’re read from that and not by a value set as an attribute to the road on the GPS.

The active lane assist. Your argument is that it has to be able to differentiate between a bus stop road marking and a centre road marking through a set of sensors.... can you imagine how hard that would be? As a software developer myself I think that would be next to impossible.

The sensors going off after traffic, personally I’ve found that although I agree they’re too sensitive, a bit of dust and dirt can affect the sensitivity drastically. Do you clean the car often?

I don’t have the ambient lighting but I’m sure I read somewhere that the top strip is always dimmer to avoid distracting the driver or to increase visibility or something...

The battery will be lowering because MB will be getting data about the car every so often which in turn will use the battery, and to do that for 3 weeks without the alternator recharging the battery (I think that’s right?) that’s fair impressive... plus all it takes is half an hour drive to recharge it...

Whilst I understand your frustration personally I’m not trying to piss you off in any way or start arguments I’m just trying to explain how some of these things work... so going to mercedes and expecting the problem to be fixed in a short time just simply can’t be done. If you want to complain about anything, complain about how long it’s taking to release FU3 😂

·
Registered
28 Posts
Agree with all of the above post, with another comment on speed limit sign recognition... my son has a very well equipped Corsa with this facility amongst others.
On the M25 clockwise just past the T5 slip there is a 40mph sign (referring to the slip road). The car thinks it means the motorway is now a 40mph road so starts flashing an overspeed warning on the dash even though I'm doing about 60.. annoying but its the current limitations of the tech.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You certainly haven't pissed me off don't worry and its always useful to have another perspective on things. I can quite understand your point of view and I honestly wish I had your accommodating attitude but sadly I am an engineer and just hate things that do not work correctly, particularly having bought a premium brand vehicle. I've lost count of the cars I have owned over the years but this is the first I've owned that has inherent faults on it.

I also agree that, with the exception of the first two, these faults are minor but at the end of the day MB are selling a premium brand car with a premium price tag, all I expect in return is to be given a fully working vehicle, I wouldn't have thought that was too much to ask.

Just looking at the points you raise though:

The speed signs are done by (correct me if I’m wrong) the camera built into the centre of the windscreen. They’re read from that and not by a value set as an attribute to the road on the GPS.

This certainly seems to be what MB are saying but they also say that it uses State of the Art AI as well that assesses the road by its width and colour of road sign to determine what speed symbol to show, on Motorways for instance. However, I am not totally convinced that there is no interface with the satnav because the points in the road where it miss reports speed signs changes with each new map update. If this was just an infrequent occurrence it would not be an issue but I am finding that the speed symbol I am seeing is as often wrong as it is right, also the frequency of error seems to be increasing with each map release. I compiled a video of a 20 minute circular drive where I was never more that 2 miles from my home, and found 10 instances where the speed symbol was wrong.

@craggyislander, actually the camera part of the system works very well, yes it does at times see a side road that is 20mph and report that and it also shows me 50mph when I've past a 5t weight limit but these are not a problem, what is less acceptable is showing 60mph in a 30mph, 70mph in a 30mph, 70mph on a single carriageway, 30mph in a 50mph but in none of these situations has any speed sign been passed or on the back of another car but the errors are normally repeatable.

The active lane assist. Your argument is that it has to be able to differentiate between a bus stop road marking and a centre road marking through a set of sensors.... can you imagine how hard that would be? As a software developer myself I think that would be next to impossible.

I take your point but this is not my argument. My point is that the part of Lane Keeping Assist that applies the brakes is only really applicable on motorways where it is designed to nudge the car back into lane if the driver has gone to sleep. I can't really see how it can be useful on other roads and as you say there are far too many variables on other roads so programming for them is impossible. If this was something that you selected WHEN you were on a motorway it would be fine but having it take over and try and change the direction of travel at inappropriate times is just dangerous. Twice I have had the situation where I have been overtaking a cyclist and the Lane Keeping Assist has tried to nudge me into them, its not a nice experience. Again I think this is a pretty major issue which MB should have taken note of by now.

The sensors going off after traffic, personally I’ve found that although I agree they’re too sensitive, a bit of dust and dirt can affect the sensitivity drastically. Do you clean the car often?

I don't wash the car every day but I do keep it pretty clean. I don't think this is a case of sensitivity, this issue seems quite specific, if I am turning right off a main road into a minor one and start to move as a car has past me on the right the proximity alarm comes on and stay for 2 or 3 seconds by which time the passing car is long gone. This is just enough to make you stop and assess the situation but by this time you have started the manoeuvre.

I don’t have the ambient lighting but I’m sure I read somewhere that the top strip is always dimmer to avoid distracting the driver or to increase visibility or something...

I guess this could be the case but MB have not said so. This last time the technician found the problem, on the lower LED strip there are led's at each end of the strip but on the upper one there is just one because there is no room for two so it looks like a design problem, however, I would have thought that they would have been able to increase the brightness of the one led they are using.

The battery will be lowering because MB will be getting data about the car every so often which in turn will use the battery, and to do that for 3 weeks without the alternator recharging the battery (I think that’s right?) that’s fair impressive... plus all it takes is half an hour drive to recharge it...

True, not really a problem unless you are in lockdown or you leave the car at the airport for 4 weeks or more whilst on holiday. I am fortunate enough to do this but have never had a problem with any other car.

Whilst I understand your frustration personally I’m not trying to piss you off in any way or start arguments I’m just trying to explain how some of these things work... so going to mercedes and expecting the problem to be fixed in a short time just simply can’t be done. If you want to complain about anything, complain about how long it’s taking to release FU3

I agree I am probably hitting my head against a brick wall but I reported these problems in November last year and I know that others have been reporting them as well so I don't think it is a case of wanting something done quickly, in fact I don't think MB will do anything about them at all which considering the first two are key advertised features of all their new cars they would be eager to get sorted before the motoring press get their teeth into them. As for FU3, its due in July....or so they tell me

·
Registered
100 Posts
I can certainly see your points, I've had a few niggles with mine and although they are slightly different to yours, I have come across some of what you have mentioned. My car has been back a few times for the air bag issues and some other things but after doing LOTS of reading, i think I've come to accept that these systems are still far from perfect and most of the problems aren't necessarily specific to Mercedes.

With that being said, I think I've accepted that my A180 will be with me for another 2.5 years but once that time is up, it's extremely unlikely i'll go with another Mercedes.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I can certainly see your points, I've had a few niggles with mine and although they are slightly different to yours, I have come across some of what you have mentioned. My car has been back a few times for the air bag issues and some other things but after doing LOTS of reading, i think I've come to accept that these systems are still far from perfect and most of the problems aren't necessarily specific to Mercedes.

With that being said, I think I've accepted that my A180 will be with me for another 2.5 years but once that time is up, it's extremely unlikely i'll go with another Mercedes.
I’m thinking of selling the a180 and going for a hefty w204 c63... V8’s just do it better

1 - 15 of 15 Posts