Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

201 - 220 of 232 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have only had the car for 6 days but just got 39.8 miles off a full charge. I was in EL mode and used regen breaking where possible and didn't have the heater on (I wasn't cold). About 3/4 of the journey was on the motorway and I had cruise control set to 66mph. The engine came on and put the car into Comfort mode when the battery died. I am just topping up at a free Pod Point charger now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
just joined this forum and going through some posts I noticed you also have a class a250e, so I thought I could pick your brains as I cannot find the answer anywhere. I saw you post something similar

When I charge my car it gives you a time when charge will be at 100% and the max miles. I was always led to believe the max miles should be 44, but when ever I charge it, it can flutiate from 34-38, and sometimes even changes when I'm charging!! Is this normal, is your max miles not always at 44miles either when you charge yours?
It also depends on the topography. Driving in the Netherlands, or maybe here in the Fens, you'll probably manage 40+. My 32 gives me two return shopping trips.

John

·
Registered
25 Posts
Today I did a 140 miles round trip of which 75 miles were on electric. On the way there I set the sat nav and put the car in comfort. I noticed that when I was 20 miles away I still had 30 mile range. I was expecting the car to work out how best to use all of the battery but I guess not. I stuck it in EL and did the remainder of the journey on all electric. When I got there I charged the car on a pod point up to about 80%. On the way back I put the car in Eco and set the sat nav but again saw similar behaviour so with 25 miles remaining I switched to EL.

One thing I did notice was that in Eco mode the car did a lot of regen on the motorway which I was very impressed with. At one point I went from 65% to 74% over about 10 miles.

Overall, I was really impressed with the figures. I was expecting the EV to be great for local journeys but not so great for longer runs but it turns out its excellent for both.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yes I agree , its actually really disappointing ! I took mine into the Merc dealer here in Edinburgh and the technician told me it charges depending on your driving history, I asked how it could possibly know how or even who might drive it the following day and how long does it do this and and over what time frame... think she was talking rubbish. Ive only been commuting to gym and back as home working so 8 miles a day, with the odd there trip, this afternoon it charged for 1.5 hours on a 7.4KW - no heating on etc... and it charged to 16 miles - nearly a 3rd of what they quote. I had 2 golf GTE's and they simply charged to 31 miles every time and if you then drive fast or put the heating on the battery would deplete accordingly. This doesn't make sense that a car would only provide a 3rd of its supposed range based on what it thinks you might do , what if you simply dont do what it thinks (which Ive tried and guess what the mileage range was still poor). As lovely as the car looks inside and out (I got the premium plus package) I do feel Im just driving around in an expensive classy shell with a hair dryer for an engine. Wish I had just waited for the new golf GTE.
I had the new GTE, I ended up rejecting it as it was riddled with software issues, it was in the workshop more time than was being driven. This was common with other drivers as well. Range for me is similar, the merc maybe a little better once I get used to it. The only thing I miss is the active driving assists which are standard on the GTEs. The Merc is much prettier in and out in my opinion.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have had mine for two months now and have tried everything to raise the electric range but nothing seems to work, the most I have had is 35 when it was freezing cold, today it is fairly warm outside and it is now on charge with a predicted range of 26, I will now totally give up and just drive the car how I see fit to use it...………….

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have had mine for two months now and have tried everything to raise the electric range but nothing seems to work, the most I have had is 35 when it was freezing cold, today it is fairly warm outside and it is now on charge with a predicted range of 26, I will now totally give up and just drive the car how I see fit to use it...………….
It does seem quite random the ranges people are seeing. I drive mine pretty carefully and do try and get as many miles as possible out of it and never get less than 35 miles per charge. Most I have had in pure EL mode is 41 and much higher when running it as a hybrid in ECO mode.

While driving carefully certainly helps get more mileage I still struggle to believe that is the only factor. So many people, like you, say they are driving carefully and using all the tips read on here and other forums/groups but are struggling to get reasonable range. Maybe there is a small quality control issue.

It would be very interesting if 2 people at opposite ends of the range debate did a car swap for a day. I know that isn't likely to happen but I would love to see the results.

One thing I will say, driving like an OAP does somewhat steal the enjoyment out of driving a car capable of 0-60 in under 7 seconds.

·
Registered
333 Posts
A
Have you reviewed what the ECO Display shows?

My wife struggles to get 30 miles (but with heater on and drives quicker on the m-way than me) - but the eco display is showing she isn't coasting/regen much. She drives it like a normal ICE, approach junction, come off the throttle and apply the brakes. If you back off the throttle much earlier, then let it coast in D+ for a while, then gradually increase the amount of regen. Treat the regen levels (D--, D-, D, D+) like gears.

·
Registered
17 Posts
One thing I will say, driving like an OAP does somewhat steal the enjoyment out of driving a car capable of 0-60 in under 7 seconds.
Ha ha, totally agree with you on this, After a few weeks of trying my best to conserve I have started resorting to the sport mode in order to have some fun. After the initial rough warming up period it does go rather nicely. This is from a man that has just come out of a GTI Performance! If I pick my moments I'm still easily getting 100+ mpg on a mixed mode journey.

Does anyone know if you are able to see the lifetime data of the vehicle? eg total mpg, EV vs CCE miles etc? I can't seem to find this level of data.

·
Registered
A250E Saloon Prem Plus
47 Posts
Seconded - I am coming from a GTi TCR, and intend to drive the car without constantly worrying about economy and range. It will be in Comfort or Sport most of the time...Its the overall experience that is important

·
Registered
333 Posts
Does anyone know if you are able to see the lifetime data of the vehicle? eg total mpg, EV vs CCE miles etc? I can't seem to find this level of data.
I also wondered about this - I would guess it might be available via the OBD or an engineering menu.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Does anyone know what the combined max range of the vehicle with a full battery and single fuel tank? Is that advertised anywhere?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am not convinced at all that what range you get is purely based on how you drove after the last charge, yesterday on a full charge I drove a slow non stop 50 miles with the heater on low then gave it a full charge over night, this morning it has still only given me a 27 mile range, it is freezing outside so I am sure it is all about the weather only and nothing else. Very disappointing since I only bought this car to drive on electric most of the time.
yes it's Definitely weather/temperature related ! The warmer the weather the further you go

·
Registered
3 Posts
You are correct, it isn’t purely based on how you drove after the last charge.

The information you seek is contained within this thread, suggest you read every post from start to finish and you’ll find the answers. A major influencing factor on battery performance is ambient temperature. You can also go onto countless EV forums as see how owners of all brands are similarly pessimistic about their EV range in cold temperatures.

If you are disappointed - hand the car back before it eats away at you, life is too short to be driving something you are disappointed with.
yes it's Definitely weather/temperature related ! The warmer the weather the further you go

·
Registered
3 Posts
As an example of how temperature affects things, earlier today when I posted, my range was 31 miles, I've just put it on charge to top up, and it's saying my range is 27.1 miles. The car hasn't moved all day, so my driving couldn't have affected the way the range is calculated, the only thing that's changed today is the temperature.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Also can anyone explain why when I charged my car yesterday on a warm day it gave me a predictive range of 36 then went down to 29 fully charged and still warm outside. I give up...…………...

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm still learning how my new car lists potential range and handles my actual driving, but I have found that I far exceed that projected range in an actual trip. London to Cheltenham last Saturday, projected range was 32. End of 100 mile trip, had over 45 miles on electric. Charged up in 2 + hours, and end of trip back, my overall trip was 202 miles with almost 100 total on electric, with Eco score over 36 miles extra due to driving style. This was in comfort mode, with lots of automatic D4 - D7 regen. Very happy so far.

201 - 220 of 232 Posts