Mercedes A-Class Forum banner
261 - 280 of 304 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Regarding electric range over longer distances, I usually get around half of the total distance covered by using Comfort mode with the destination in sat nav. This was my summary of yesterdays journey with no charging.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Regarding electric range over longer distances, I usually get around half of the total distance covered by using Comfort mode with the destination in sat nav. This was my summary of yesterdays journey with no charging.
View attachment 8558
Thanks for moving my query, this seems like a suitable thread!
Also, thanks for answering my question with your screenshot of yesterday's journey, that's actually impressive that you managed nearly 102 miles in a single trip without charging!
I imagine that is down to regen braking and the engine recharging the battery on the move?

Tha

·
Super Moderator
441 Posts
For motorway journeys, expect around 55mpg (real world) which is decent for a 165bhp hatch IMO. Because of the hybrid system, you actually get better efficiency if there is lots of traffic (requiring you to slow down) than if its a middle of the night uninterrupted cruise control journey.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I must admit I need to change my set up, I use a standard 3 pin socket to charge mine up and often during the day, my suppliers rates are 21.54 day rate and 12.54 night, I guess I need to always charge at night and on a timer that kicks in at 01:00 when the cheap rate starts.
Also a bit confused how to work out how much it cost to charge, someone said its the battery power i.e. 15.6 kwh X rate which is say 15p kwh = £2.34 but since its kw per hour then that's £2.34 per hour to charge which is obviously wrong.
The kWh figure is the battery capacity and is measured in kilowatt hours, not kilowatt per hour. Our battery has a usable capacity of about 10 kWh meaning to fully charge at a power of 1kW takes 10 hours.
We can actually charge faster than that, the 3 pin charger is capable of about 2.2kW and takes around 4.5 hours (10/2.2) or a wall box at 7kW takes around 1.4 hours (10/7). Actual charge times are a little longer in practice because the charger slows down the charge rate as the battery approaches full in order to balance the charge state of individual cells.
In either case the cost of a full charge from empty is about 10 times the pence per kWh figure (actually a little more as the charger consumed some power and is not 100% efficient).

·
Registered
A200 AMG Premium. Mountain Grey. Petrol Auto
37 Posts
Thanks Ruston, that explains it perfectly. Just insert the appropriate kWh figure from your supplier and you are more or less there.
I wondered if anyone else has had the following experience when charging. When I picked the car up from new about 8 weeks ago, the ’electric range’ showed 33 miles fully charged. However, every charge (about 1 a week) since has decreased a few miles so that I now see the range down to 24 and decreasing on a 100% charge. I have done an ‘actual’ check with the trip meter and I am getting around the 32 miles electric only on a charge. I also appreciate it is only a guide cos a/c is also powered from this battery so it is never just miles range. Rather than range miles it might be more useful it it showed ‘range %’. What do others think ?

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have also noticed recently that the electric range displayed has decreased, although I am still getting the same actual range out of the battery on each charge. I typically do 40 to 45 miles between charges but the car and app both now display around 32 miles range when fully charged. I suspect there has been an update to the trip software recently which has changed the way the range is calculated, as this has only started happening in the last few weeks.

Your suggested ‘range %’ would basically be the same as is already displayed by the ‘battery %’ i.e. your electric range is approximately proportional to your battery’s charge state.

·
Registered
2 Posts
After a month of ownership my EL range has gone up from 34 from new to 39 now. I am hoping it will keep going up to above 40.
If anyone is interested what happens on a long motorway run I did a 160 mile run down the A1 a few days ago. The battery was full when I set off and the ICE was running most of the time on the motorway. The destination was in the satnav and the car "kept back" about 12 miles of battery for the last 10 miles of non-motorway. I was doing about 70-74 MPH all the way using cruise control whenever I could. The battery range on a few occasions went up due to regen (by about 3 miles at one point) but it soon uses this up again by running without the ICE for a bit longer.
On motorway journeys you pretty much can't tell whether the engine is running or not unless you look at the tacometer.
At the end of the journey the MPG was showing 81 and I'm totally happy with that.
Over the full mileage of the car (currently 1,304 miles) is says I've done 896 on battery - 122.8 MPG average - 5.9 miles per kWh.
Bought my car in December and was showing 32 miles on the battery in Orkney
5000 miles ago. Now in August my battery shows 46 miles at 100% Great car

·
Registered
44 Posts
It will use a small amount for those things, but its primarily to enhance the battery life. These type of batteries don't like to be fully charged or fully discharged, but the control systems used means that we can't ever do that as there is always some margin left.
For the last 3 weeks I have done a 54 mile journey with little use in between and have achieved 48 electric miles out of a journey
of 54 which I am very pleased about, I know everyone says pay no attention to the predictive miles but everyone also says they
are based on your last couple of journeys and how economically you drove, so why based on my current journeys am I still only
getting a predictive range of 24 ??? surely based on my previous journeys I should expect at least 40 ?

·
Registered
15 Posts
The problem is when using the petrol engine you will still end up doing quite a few electronic only miles without any charge. The last "big" journey I did with no charge I did 67 miles total and managed 26 miles electric only so your journey while also using petrol wont be a good indication of using electric only and this might be why your range is projecting lower.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Thanks for your reply. I know everyone it totally bemused by the predictive range and it is the only factor letting this car down, why on earth
cant it just display 44 miles on every charge and adjust accordingly with use.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Thanks Ruston, that explains it perfectly. Just insert the appropriate kWh figure from your supplier and you are more or less there.
I wondered if anyone else has had the following experience when charging. When I picked the car up from new about 8 weeks ago, the ’electric range’ showed 33 miles fully charged. However, every charge (about 1 a week) since has decreased a few miles so that I now see the range down to 24 and decreasing on a 100% charge. I have done an ‘actual’ check with the trip meter and I am getting around the 32 miles electric only on a charge. I also appreciate it is only a guide cos a/c is also powered from this battery so it is never just miles range. Rather than range miles it might be more useful it it showed ‘range %’. What do others think ?
Mine now never gets above 24 on a full charge even though it will return me around 44 electric miles on a 50 mile journey, everyone says it predicts what you are going to
do based on previous journeys yet my previous journeys are all pretty much as above so totally confused why I get such a low prediction................

·
Registered
A200 AMG Premium. Mountain Grey. Petrol Auto
37 Posts
Mine now never gets above 24 on a full charge even though it will return me around 44 electric miles on a 50 mile journey, everyone says it predicts what you are going to
do based on previous journeys yet my previous journeys are all pretty much as above so totally confused why I get such a low prediction................
Hi Chris. I have emailed the dealership where I bought the car, and explained how I am now down to 22 miles showing as 100%. I took pics of the dashboard and screen shot of the Me app. for them and they are looking into it for me. I will update when I hear something.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Apologies if this query has been covered previous. I am trying to find out what mileage the petrol A250e will do per litre (normal sensible driving) if the battery is reading 0 and is never charged. I got the petrol A250e as a company car because of lower BIK, but I live in an area where I cannot install a home charger. My company are reimbursing me 0.092p/mile, with my local TESCO currently selling petrol at £1.32/litre. I don't think I am getting 14.35 miles to the litre. Does anyone know how I can check. I suspect my company may not be reimbursing me the correct amount.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Apologies if this query has been covered previous. I am trying to find out what mileage the petrol A250e will do per litre (normal sensible driving) if the battery is reading 0 and is never charged. I got the petrol A250e as a company car because of lower BIK, but I live in an area where I cannot install a home charger. My company are reimbursing me 0.092p/mile, with my local TESCO currently selling petrol at £1.32/litre. I don't think I am getting 14.35 miles to the litre. Does anyone know how I can check. I suspect my company may not be reimbursing me the correct amount.
If you go to the engine setting it will tell you how many MPG you are doing but typically on Engine only easily 40 MPG. You should try and charge it sometimes as you can then
quite easily double the MPG, I have not got a home charger and charge mine on a home socket with an extension lead with no problems at all. These cars can sound a bit revvy
in first gear when you use the engine only but otherwise without a charge will just perform like a conventional hybrid.

·
Super Moderator
441 Posts
Without charging, you will get worse MPG than the regular A200. Expect to see between 40-45MPG which is less than 10 miles/L. If you are doing significant personal miles, you may be better off with the regular petrol or diesel options.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I think it depends on the type of driving and how you are driving, I have only driven a handful of times purely on petrol and i have averaged about 60mpg, these have been 60 mile journeys with a mixture of town driving, back roads, dual carriageways.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Fully charged the car during the night and icy at 6.00 this morning and was dismayed to see only 18 predicted miles
of electric range, I try and praise this car as much as possible but now realise that plug in hybrids are actually rubbish,
my 6 hours of electricity is now actually quite close to the price I would pay in petrol to do 18 miles. Welcome to the winter, save your plug in hybrids for the summer only or freeze to death for fear of using the heater and draining your measly 18 miles of range.

·
Registered
A250e Sedan
14 Posts
I would question your company, I got the A250e for the same reason, I'm able to plug it in at home and the fact it was the first time I'd own a vehicle with the 3 pointed star. My company go by the recommended government rate which is currently 12p per mile, I appreciate it's at their discretion but might be worth asking them the question.

·
Super Moderator
441 Posts
Mine is still showing 42 miles after charging over night - that is even after hooning around a little last time I used it :cool:

261 - 280 of 304 Posts