Mercedes A-Class Forum banner
281 - 300 of 304 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm starting to learn to ignore the range shown. Sometimes mine says 32, then 41, end of the day I just drive it as normal in EL mode and can see that I'm stretching the range. I put it down to weather...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just to chuck in my 2p here. I've now had this car just over a week and the most I've seen range wise has been 30miles. Today on charge its hit a new low of 29. This is just on commute to from work with plenty regen etc so I am a little surprised it's 25% lower than advertised.
Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Electric blue

·
Administrator
4,822 Posts
It is the cold temperatures. Batteries do not like the cold, and cabin heating uses loads of energy.

EV forums are full of similar complaints.

We also have a warm weather range thread, people were seeing marked improvements when the weather got warmer:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Aikman, I get similar numbers also and you may learn to just ignore it in time. The weather is massive factor in all this as is your driving style.. other day weather was mild, car said 37miles. I know I did 40

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yup all in all I'll reserve major judgement on it for now until things get warmer; I also run my heated seat almost constantly and have my climate control at 20 (as well as pre-entry). At the end of the day it still looks like its massively more economical than what I moved from with the performance of a hot hatch so zero complaints here.

I'm planning on doing some longer journeys this weekend so I'll reset the trip counter and do a comparison.

·
Registered
31 Posts
You'll see the economy for sure. Nor sure what you had before.

Re hot hatch performance...again depends what you're used to. It's 'quick' enough for me. I've certainly changed my driving style, which means I drive more cautiously now because a) I want to stretch the range and b) it's not hugely powerful.

I'd be interested in your thoughts after you've had some time with it. Also drive it in battery level mode (petrol only), keen to see what you think of the drive.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've got a predicted range of upto 45miles on the display.
Best way to increase the range is by not accelerating hard at lights or out of junctions, take careful and think ahead of the braking and accelerating.
I use eco mode when in the city and just coast upto the cars ahead or lights or junctions. I'll drive like an elder person though I'm 25 and I'll make sure I'm not pushing the car too hard because it's got enough power to not need to accelerate hard and get to speed.
I have driven it a bit hard on the a roads nearby my home and it's pretty good in sport mode and individual modes.
Even in motorways it's fine upto 70mph and I calm the accelerator and use eco mode and cruise on the electricity alone. I've managed to get from Leicester to London one way on electricity and about 4/5 miles of petrol off the display and that's awesome.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've got a predicted range of upto 45miles on the display.
Best way to increase the range is by not accelerating hard at lights or out of junctions, take careful and think ahead of the braking and accelerating.
I use eco mode when in the city and just coast upto the cars ahead or lights or junctions. I'll drive like an elder person though I'm 25 and I'll make sure I'm not pushing the car too hard because it's got enough power to not need to accelerate hard and get to speed.
I have driven it a bit hard on the a roads nearby my home and it's pretty good in sport mode and individual modes.
Even in motorways it's fine upto 70mph and I calm the accelerator and use eco mode and cruise on the electricity alone. I've managed to get from Leicester to London one way on electricity and about 4/5 miles of petrol off the display and that's awesome.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I’ve had my A250e for a month (bought a 1 year old one) and am only getting 30 miles on a 100% charge. Having read the previous comments, am I suffering from the driving habits of the previous owner?

·
Administrator
4,822 Posts
I’ve had my A250e for a month (bought a 1 year old one) and am only getting 30 miles on a 100% charge. Having read the previous comments, am I suffering from the driving habits of the previous owner?
You will have better range when the weather warms up.

See

·
Registered
18 Posts
2020 version purchased in Feb 2021. Dash said 38 miles available after full charge on 3 Jan this week: got 46 in reality in mixed driving of 96 mile trip. I usually end up with about 10 more miles in reality than it indicates.

·
Registered
2 Posts
You will have better range when the weather warms up.

See
Thanks for the advice about the low temperature havi an effect on the battery. I’m having it checked under warrant, but I think you could well have hit the right answe.

·
Registered
2 Posts
mpkWh

Morning All,

The missus uses our 2020 A250e saloon for her commute to and from work. Approx 5 miles each way of rat run stop start temporary traffic light ****! She runs it in electric only mode lately, and she’s getting better at using the regen paddles. Heating on 20c, aircon on. No heated seat.

The best she averages is 1.8mpkWh. But it’s usually around the 1.6 mark, as bad as 1.2 on very cold days! We’re getting around 18 miles max out of a full battery!!

Do Any of you guys do shortish rat run traffic runs? What do you average?

I’m seriously considering taking it Mercedes’ to be looked at. With the current energy crisis and our electric unit price sky high (20.2p per kWh!!) it’s almost certainly cheaper to the journey in a small petrol / diesel car.

Any advice and feedback greatly appreciated!!

Thanks in advance.

Jake

·
Registered
4 Posts
I do a very similar run in a 2021 A250e saloon - 5 miles each way, heat on 22c, sometimes heated seats on. Half of mine is getting out of the estate which consists of small roads, speed bumps, roundabouts, traffic lights, and horrific congestion! Up to this point I usually get a similar sort of Mpkwh. Once I get past this point, there's quite a long stretch of 40-60mph road which usually gets me up to 2-3 mphwh (today I managed 2.7 overall).

In the warmer weather, I get above 3. I think my best on this run is 4.1 (but this was me purposely setting out to get the best I could).

I've been pre-heating the car at the moment which likely doesn't help that number, but it's worth it in this weather! I have noticed that I'll start driving after pre-heating, and the engine will kick in even though I had the car in electric mode, and I seem to get a flood of messages pop up telling me that various sensors etc can't be used. Does anybody else get that?

·
Administrator
4,822 Posts
and I seem to get a flood of messages pop up telling me that various sensors etc can't be used. Does anybody else get that?
See these threads:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I do a very similar run in a 2021 A250e saloon - 5 miles each way, heat on 22c, sometimes heated seats on. Half of mine is getting out of the estate which consists of small roads, speed bumps, roundabouts, traffic lights, and horrific congestion! Up to this point I usually get a similar sort of Mpkwh. Once I get past this point, there's quite a long stretch of 40-60mph road which usually gets me up to 2-3 mphwh (today I managed 2.7 overall).

In the warmer weather, I get above 3. I think my best on this run is 4.1 (but this was me purposely setting out to get the best I could).
Thanks for the reply DarrylW91, slightly reassuring to see it’s not just our car. Unfortunately hers is just stop start all the way, no nice sections of cruising. She hasn’t done this run in the summer yet so hopefully should improve the range!
How many miles do you get out of a full battery usually?

Jake

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've been pre-warming the vehicle right now which probably doesn't help that number, however it's worth the effort in this climate! I have seen that I'll begin driving after pre-warming, and the motor will kick in despite the fact that I had the vehicle in electric mode, and I appear to get a surge of messages spring up letting me know that different sensors and so on can't be utilized. Does any other person get that?

·
Registered
37 Posts
For info... these are my lifetime figures over about 15000 miles since last July.... pretty happy with mpg and mpkWh just from doing what I mentioned in my last post, and using all the technology available in the car. View attachment 8503
MPKWH at odds with mine I did a RESET 43 miles after delivery otherwise my figures look like this:

Distance Travelled 8849.4 mi
Electric mode only 5672.2 mi
Driving Time 13days 0hrs 59min
Electric mode only 9days 22hrs 43min
Average Speed 28 days
Fuel 113mpg
Electric 36.5mpkWh

Any ideas why my mpkWh implies my electric range is ~400mls?

MercedesMe support useless, dealer suggests possible software update (which seems unikely)

·
Registered
44 Posts
mpkWh

Morning All,

The missus uses our 2020 A250e saloon for her commute to and from work. Approx 5 miles each way of rat run stop start temporary traffic light ****! She runs it in electric only mode lately, and she’s getting better at using the regen paddles. Heating on 20c, aircon on. No heated seat.

The best she averages is 1.8mpkWh. But it’s usually around the 1.6 mark, as bad as 1.2 on very cold days! We’re getting around 18 miles max out of a full battery!!

Do Any of you guys do shortish rat run traffic runs? What do you average?

I’m seriously considering taking it Mercedes’ to be looked at. With the current energy crisis and our electric unit price sky high (20.2p per kWh!!) it’s almost certainly cheaper to the journey in a small petrol / diesel car.

Any advice and feedback greatly appreciated!!

Thanks in advance.

Jake
I have had mine a year now and the maximum I have ever had is 38 on a hot Summers day. Over the last few freezing weeks I get an appalling 17 so you are right, it is far cheaper running it on petrol, I am not charging mine again until at least April, it is disgusting of Mercedes to advertise this car as having a totally unachievable range of 44, I had a choice of many more practical vehicles but only chose this based on the lies Mercedes told.

281 - 300 of 304 Posts