Mercedes A-Class Forum banner
1 - 20 of 207 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Merc pulled the dashcam feature from the new A class mbux system but can it still be used as the camera is there. I presume it just needs a hard drive and some software????

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Does anyone know if there is a way to use the built in on board camera as a dash cam if you dont have advanced navigation? I know merc pulled that feature not long ago but is there a hack?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Apparently not. I asked MB about the track pace recording function and got this reply.. "

Thank you for contacting Mercedes-Benz Customer Service. I am following up toyour recent enquiry in writing. Following your initial contact with thisoffice, your enquiry was raised to our Technical Team.
Our Technical team have advised that the AMGTrack Pace package unfortunately does not have video recording capabilities soit would not have the functionality of a dash cam. They have provided mewith an explanation of the functionality of the Track Pace package"

Kinda strange as it would seem all the parts are in place.. Camera.. USB connectivity, displaying picture of the road ahead etc, but it seems it's not integrated as yet(if ever)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Just because it has the hardware and can display real time images on the screen says nothing. It is a question often asked by those who possess 360 camera's but unfortunately you would need a complete rewrite of the firmware to allow it to capture, store and playback images from the camera. It would never compete with a proper dashcam...

·
Registered
431 Posts
Just because it has the hardware and can display real time images on the screen says nothing. It is a question often asked by those who possess 360 camera's but unfortunately you would need a complete rewrite of the firmware to allow it to capture, store and playback images from the camera. It would never compete with a proper dashcam...
Then why is there a "Dashcam" function (greyed out) in my sub menu?
Admittedly I do have the augmented nav function.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I do not know as I don't yet have my CLA to examine. It could be that the option is disabled it could be that the firmware hasn't the ability. If someone had access to a programming tool similar to ODB11 that I use with my Audi to turn on, or off, various functions then it might be possible to enable it. But my knowledge of such a similar tool is limited.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I do not know as I don't yet have my CLA to examine. It could be that the option is disabled it could be that the firmware hasn't the ability. If someone had access to a programming tool similar to ODB11 that I use with my Audi to turn on, or off, various functions then it might be possible to enable it. But my knowledge of such a similar tool is limited.
That's what I kinda hate about Mercedes. VW/Audi have OBDleven and BMW has BimmerCode, while Mercedes still doesn't have anything :(

·
Registered
431 Posts
Dashcam

So your answer "unfortunately you would need a complete rewrite of the firmware to allow it to capture" is actually a YES.
The latest CLA is advertised as having both MBUX and builtin Dashcam.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I can't see where dashcam is mentioned in the brochure. I can understand owners disappointment but it is often the case some features that might be for other markets are not available but get left in. This happened with the mk4 mondeo where the manual clearly stated the glovebox had air conditioning whereas in the uk it wasn't...

·
Registered
431 Posts
As normal tha Mercedes site is down at the moment and I know we don't always get what is promised. But my real point is that it is possible this could come to the A-Class.

But this is from "Leasing.com" article "2019 Mercedes-Benz CLA: everything you need to know".

Following the reveal of the CLA Shooting Brake at the Geneva Motor Show, Mercedes has confirmed UK specs for its four-door Coupe sibling, with three trims and five petrol engine options set to be available from launch....................

Inside, the CLA is the latest in a line of Mercedes to benefit from a seriously smart interior. The company’s MBUX infotainment system is present, with the driver display and central dashboard dominated by two large screens.......

AMG Line Premium trim adds a 10.25-inch digital cockpit display; augmented navigation, a dash cam, ambient lighting, a rear armrest and Keyless-Go.

https://www.carkeys.co.uk/guides/buyer-s-guide-to-the-mercedes-cla

Also says:-

The Premium upgrade for AMG-Line adds keyless entry, a larger 10.25-inch instrument display, augmented reality for the satellite navigation, dash cam and a Mercedes sound system – while Premium Plus comes with multibeam LED headlights, a panoramic sunroof, traffic sign assist and electrically adjustable seats with memory function.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
I'll be annoyed if they charge to enable this through the MercedesMe portal. I bet they do...

·
Registered
85 Posts
Unfortunately the press read the Mercedes media releases and often confuse UK specs with another, or the manufacturers get it wrong. A other example is when the Audi A4 B9 went into production the brochure clearly stated a heated front windscreen was a £400 option and you could add it into a vehicle using the online configurator but when the dealership tried to order that spec it wouldn't let them.

The issue that Mercedes have with dashcams is that in some european countries they are illegal thus it might be easier for Mercedes not to have them enabled at with any car.
This isn't that they won't happen but I wouldn't make the assumption that you're paying for something you've not got.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Unfortunately the press read the Mercedes media releases and often confuse UK specs with another, or the manufacturers get it wrong. A other example is when the Audi A4 B9 went into production the brochure clearly stated a heated front windscreen was a £400 option and you could add it into a vehicle using the online configurator but when the dealership tried to order that spec it wouldn't let them.

The issue that Mercedes have with dashcams is that in some european countries they are illegal thus it might be easier for Mercedes not to have them enabled at with any car.
This isn't that they won't happen but I wouldn't make the assumption that you're paying for something you've not got.
As I said "My point is it is possible"
As for the suggestion that in some european countries they are illegal, my car knows it is parked in my drive, let alone the UK where it is legal.
MBUX has a function called Geofencing, look it up.
MBUX knows we drive on the left and in the rest of europe they drive on the right, just think how hard would it be to switch the cam on/off when crossing a border.

Geofencing

You want your Mercedes to drive, but not everywhere. You can define a certain geographic area via the Mercedes me Portal in which the car is free to move. As soon as your car leaves or enters this area, you will be informed by email.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Agreed. If the reason for disabling is legality in specific regions, then the functionality could be disabled for those specific territories where dash cams are illegal. This could be dynamic using GPS positioning like @Ben&Sandy states. That's the beauty of software. Just sounds sloppy on MB's part if you ask me...

·
Registered
83 Posts
Agreed. If the reason for disabling is legality in specific regions, then the functionality could be disabled for those specific territories where dash cams are illegal. This could be dynamic using GPS positioning like @Ben&Sandy states. That's the beauty of software. Just sounds sloppy on MB's part if you ask me...

Everything software related seems sloppy from MB, their website and app is bleak at best - often down or just unresponsive.

I'd love built-in dash cam functionality, willing to pay for it.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Everything software related seems sloppy from MB, their website and app is bleak at best - often down or just unresponsive.

I agree the mercedes.me app and all of their other web pages are more often down than up.
I would (almost) forgive the MBUX having bugs and using us as testers but having menu items greyed out with no explanation.
Lets hope its just the last few bugs they are working on.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts

@Jealy you already have paid for it. What I consider out of order is if MB decide to charge you again for the privilege of using the camera as a dash cam. They probably will, and unfortunately you and I will probably bite our lip and pay for it, but it will leave a bitter taste in my mouth. BMW are at it too with charging an annual subscription for Apple Car Play.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Dashcam

I can't see where dashcam is mentioned in the brochure. I can understand owners disappointment but it is often the case some features that might be for other markets are not available but get left in. This happened with the mk4 mondeo where the manual clearly stated the glovebox had air conditioning whereas in the uk it wasn't...
Just managed to view the CLA eBrochure, and your right, no mention of a Dash Cam function.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Just managed to view the CLA eBrochure, and your right, no mention of a Dash Cam function.
In other words They have it but You can't have it! They are probably saving it for the year 2 or 3 refresh when they can anounce the A Class now comes with Integrated DashCam with loud trumpets blaring. Then in the small print you will find you have to pay for in in ME at several time the cost of an upmarket DashCam. Or perhaps they are waiting to fully sort out their MBUX software before making it available :grin:

1 - 20 of 207 Posts