Mercedes A-Class Forum banner
181 - 200 of 212 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I can play mine back in car by changing the source USB. Plays full screen too. It seems to split files up in anything between 1:20 sec to about 3 and half minutes. Continues recordings but just chopped up in random size segments
Ah I see… I was only looking in the dashcam menu itself. Cheers (y)

·
Super Moderator
4,007 Posts
Yep - if you want to playback the videos on a PC or Mac - use VLC Player.

mp4 is just the wrapper/container, the actual codec inside the mp4 wrapper isn’t a standard (common) codec, but VLC sorts all that out fine.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Also haven’t found a way to play back the videos through MBUX, so perhaps also indicates it‘s a car problem.

Any similar experiences?
Were you trying to play the file back within the Dash Cam app? I tried this at first and thought it odd that you couldn’t open it from there. I then went into media and it played from there without a problem.

·
Super Moderator
1,964 Posts
Played fine when I plugged USB into side of TV👍

·
Registered
3 Posts
Finding this all quite frustrating...I contacted Merc Uk about the dashcam and gave them my chasis No and got a reply stating that "dash cam feature is not currently available for this model"... I have an A180d AMG line model 69 plate which has augmented sat nav ?

·
Super Moderator
4,482 Posts
Have any of you been able to switch the recordings to mph.

·
Registered
267 Posts
What would it take to install a mic so that you can have sound in your videos? Of course you'd have to somehow connect it to MBUX and code it. Is it possible at all? I got zero experience.
I'd love making videos of my trip but it's gotta have sound too, otherwise it's just not good enough. I'd rather it had sound even if it was 360p.

·
Super Moderator
1,964 Posts
There is already 2 mics installed in the car for “hey Mercedes” passenger and driver side.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Right, can they be used with the dashcam then? Would still require coding I assume. I'm not even gonna bother with the purchase otherwise. Obviously that dashcam is intended to provide an extra security and you don't need sound for that, but I'd only use it to make videos of my trips and maybe a few runs here and there. You need sound for both.

Reactions: steve_3939

·
Registered
A180 AMG Line Premium Plus Auto with Distronic (the one bit I wanted!)
127 Posts
After emails falling into a black hole and unanswered calls, I actually went into my local dealership today to ask why certain cars are able to receive the dashcam feature but others are not. ( I have a 70 reg GLA200 AMG line premium)

No definitive answer yet, but the gist of it is you need a certain piece of software that some cars have and some don't, (not FUP3 as I already have this). It seems fairly arbitrary whether your car has it or not, they couldn't tell me exactly what it is or what determined if your car has it. Some older models have it, some newer models don't. They haven't got the software update locally, or even know if MB will send it out to the dealerships.

I followed up our chat with an email asking specific questions and the service manager said he will try to find out what is happening. I will post when I have some details
That's about the level ok knowledge of dealerships. Having gone through the FUP3 saga a while back (no, doesn't exist, Sir) I am not suprised

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ok bit the bullet and installed the upgrade. Have to say very pleased with it as it meets my needs although I accept it could be better. Using the inbuilt camera means no wires and the whole operation works perfectly with a good centralised front view. Playback is good and acceptable. Unbelievably on my first test run encountered a red light jumper at a large roundabout. When I got home I was able to play the whole incident again and with a little concentration was able to make out the number plate cross referencing against a tyre site (haha) ensuring I had the right car against the make and model. Contemplating now wether to report him to the authorities online using the video evidence - what do you think?…
Anyway moving on I have found a wonderful device for storage - a Kexin usb traditional B and C flash device 128gb (Amazon) which works like a dream. It is only tiny and fits discreetly in the glove compartment. When I remove it I can play it back by plugging it into my computer (usb B), IPad Pro (USB C) or my iPhone using a tiny adapter to lightening connector I bought. The VLC freeware software is what I use on all the devices.
Any questions happy to help and give my unbiased opinion

·
Super Moderator
1,964 Posts
I personally wouldn’t report anyone for a minor incident like that, especially as it didn’t directly affect you. We all jump lights sometimes accidentally. Remember what goes round comes around 👍

·
Super Moderator
4,007 Posts
^ +1.

Exactly. We are not indoctrinated by the East German Stasi, where neighbours and friends are encouraged to spy and report on one another.

Unless it caused an accident, or caused you take avoiding action, I wouldn't report it.

·
Registered
2021 AMG A45 S Plus, Sun Yellow
71 Posts
^ +1.

Exactly. We are not indoctrinated by the East German Stasi, where neighbours and friends are encouraged to spy and report on one another.

Unless it caused an accident, or caused you take avoiding action, I wouldn't report it.
+2

My only interest in having this is to create a few memories of fun trips that can be reviewed and enjoyed again afterwards. Using footage to dob in fellow drivers for minor road traffic infringements is really bad form. We have far too much state surveillance as it is without do-gooder vigilantes types doing it too. Better put a yellow vest on and wave a community speed gun than own an AMG. All IMHO

·
Registered
264 Posts
Noticed today that Personal POIs are greyed out in the Advanced navigation menu. Only change is the added Dash Cam app plus USB for the dash cam recordings, so will have a fiddle and see if I can fix. Also, anyone else notice that the ‘Loop Recording’ when set up as a favourite takes a couple of minutes to function after the car is started?

181 - 200 of 212 Posts