Mercedes A-Class Forum banner
101 - 120 of 286 Posts

·
Registered
A200 AMG Line Premium Plus
47 Posts
Does anyone have news on when we can purchase activation of the Dashcam service? I also got the option so fingers crossed it's not an error.

·
Registered
47 Posts
It’s an error, so probably never
It is not an error other than the Mercedes Me app being to early in showing the purchase option. I wrote to Mercedes and they replied the option will be available later this year. It will of course require that you already have the necessary hardware (augmented reality). They recommend we continuously visit the Store for updates.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Dashcam is today available on my app for a one-off fee of £200
Same here for the price of 1.750 Danish kroner (around £210). Funny it became available just after I wrote to them and complained it was missing. Oh well, shut up and take my money.

·
Administrator
4,822 Posts
People on Facebook are saying you need to start the recording manually everytime you get into the car.

Can anyone confirm please?

·
Registered
121 Posts
The augmented reality camera (or the centre screen resolution) picture quality is really poor compared to modern dash cams. You wont be able to read license plates etc.

·
Super Moderator
2,052 Posts
Do you think the recorded image might be better than the displayed image?
My security cameras don’t appear to be that clear when viewed on my phone but when displayed on a decent TV it’s 4K playback. Maybe will be the same on dashcam. I’m sure the image quality will be customisable.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The video resolution is 1280 x 720 pixels (720p) and a frame rate of up to 30Hz.

Road speed and the time of day, recorded
automatically, are embedded visually in the video.

Can control the recording using the menu on the media display, the Touch Control buttons on the steering wheel or the touchpad in the centre console.

who's going to be first to take the plunge!

·
Super Moderator
5,104 Posts
From my 1080 full HD Ring doorbell I have difficulty reading number plates, even viewing on my laptop. The police requirement for dashcam footage is to be able to read number plates. 4K might be what will be needed to be able to ask police to take action. Here are the rules set out by the Hertfordshire force but will apply across England https://www.herts.police.uk/Report/Report-Shared/Dashcam-FAQs#CannotReadNumberPlate

·
Super Moderator
5,104 Posts
The augmented reality camera (or the centre screen resolution) picture quality is really poor compared to modern dash cams. You wont be able to read license plates etc.
It seems like a good wheeze by MB to get money off people for no road safety gain.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I seem to remember that MB were saying at one point that this feature was not legal in the UK because of data protection and recording in a public place in the UK, perhaps this is their way of getting around it, if the image quality is so bad you cant read reg plates it can't be breaking the law 🤣

·
Registered
293 Posts
I don't have the option yet to purchase this. I'm still on FUP2, I'm guessing you need to update to Fup3?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Looks like I can purchase this now, but I have a Nextbase 622 4K so that quality is much better than what the car is offering.

I’d be interested to see once people purchase it how they find it.

·
Registered
2020 A200 AMG line premium plus with DAP
193 Posts
Over on another forum they are talking about it not having an option to auto-start when you start driving. I have seen that option available in a youtube video from someone in another country. It would appear that the feature is country specific, and that right now, I think, in the UK you have to manually turn it on every time! You can however set the 'start recording' as a favourite.

Even though I knew the MBUX dashcam was coming soon, and kind of guessed it would be in the £100-£200 range, I decided a month or so ago to go with a regular dashcam. I got a BlackVue DR750X-2CH because I wanted a rear camera also, I wanted parking mode, I wanted auto-start/auto stop, I wanted wifi connected so I could view/download videos to my phone (as well as see a live view while parked) and I wanted a good quality picture and good night vision. The Blackvue has been great. Of course the downside is it cost £358 fitted (Halford's), it cuts off in parking mode after a couple of hours when it hits the battery voltage drain threshold, and it's visible on the windshield.

So I wouldn't call it a slam-dunk to get the MBUX dashcam, but it definitely has its pros and cons.

·
Super Moderator
5,104 Posts
It seems to say it has auto operation in the UK. But whether it's just auto as and when there is a speed limit change I can't tell. Also it talks about high resolution without stating what that precisely means, so as discussed above probably only 720.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I purchased the Dashcam yesterday and it was available in my car almost immediately. Here are some of my findings.

The video is 720p/30 Hz. No sound. You get the current time and speed imprinted in the image.
You can replay the video (when not recording) in the media/usb section (the media player is not really optimized for video)
When recording you see a red dot next to your profile
Sometimes the Dashcam app is not present in the list. You have to reopen the app section to make it appear.
Windows Media Player does not support the video codec so had to use VLC to replay the recording

I have to manually start recording which is really annoying and makes me consider a refund. MBUX does have an automatic start recording feature but the option is country specific! Some say the law forbids it.

If only you could have a record button on the home screen or quick access to the Dashcam app. I have not been able to add either record or the Dashcam app to favorites. You can add start recording to favorites.

Picture from yesterday. Rainy and grey weather in Denmark.

101 - 120 of 286 Posts