Mercedes A-Class Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My phone has just alerted me my car has had a minor collision to the front. I am unable to check my car until later today so wanted to ask on here if anyone else has had this? Is there a chance it could be a false alarm and how sensitive is this collision detection? Really hoping someone hasn't banged into it.

Attachments

·
Registered
528 Posts
Well haven't had it yet. But if I recall correctly a forum member had the same notification few months back, but couldn't find any damage. So I guess minor might even register when a ball hits your bumper, but i could very well be a car reversing and slowly hitting it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Had the same notification about 4 months ago and feared the worst but thankfully when I checked the car there was no signs of any impact so unsure what triggered the alert fingers crossed it’s the same for you (y)

·
Registered
228 Posts
It’s a great function this, but I dread it alerting me when the car is miles away ie an airport
Would ruin your holiday

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have noticed this scratch across the badge at the front. This is the only thing I notice and have no idea if it was there before. I'm guessing it shouldn't be like this?

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What do you reckon would cause a crack like this? Would it be expensive to get replaced?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Somebody colliding with the car. It might be just a cover for the radar. Might need to get a professional to look at it...

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Well haven't had it yet. But if I recall correctly a forum member had the same notification few months back, but couldn't find any damage. So I guess minor might even register when a ball hits your bumper, but i could very well be a car reversing and slowly hitting it.
You recall correctly @tastiestemperor, see below OP:

·
Registered
34 Posts
mine went off the other week when the car was parked in a busy hotel car park (and i was in bed asleep at same hotel)... show downstairs in shorts and trainers - no one around and no damage... app is telling me its unable to localise a precise area so i think it does give false alarms although this is the only one i've had... either way - no damage.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I picked up a new A200 AMG line premium in November 2019. Didn't realise that it had a collision detection system until Sunday morning when it told me that a collision had occurred the day before, and where to look for the damage. Sure enough there it was. We were visiting our son for the weekend and parked outside his house. I probably wouldn't have know about the damage until later this week when I next washed the car. Long story short, the neighbour opposite had reversed out his drive and hit my car. I only asked him if he had seen anything, then admitted it was him, shame he didn't tell me at the time...So now going through his insurance for the repair. Without the system I would have gone home and probably been a few hundred pounds poorer getting it repaired.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
sorry to hear your car got hit, but as you've found out the collision detection feature works very well. I had a light bump to my rear bumper a few days after taking delivery of my car and the collision detection alerted me to the impact even though there was no actual physical damage. See the thread below:

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
I think it’s standard on all W177 A Class

·
Registered
263 Posts
It’s part of one of the extra ‘annual subscription’ packages. I believe it’s the vehicle monitoring one at £29 per year

·
Registered
121 Posts
I think the £29 subscription is just to have the collision detection linked to your phone, at the weekend my message came on the main screen in the car, (I don't pay the subscription)

·
Registered
263 Posts
Good to know. How worthwhile the phone linking is will depend on how quick you receive the alert after a collision is triggered. If it’s instant you could catch someone in the act.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts