Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

Merged: Wireless Apple CarPlay or Android Auto?

81K views 126 replies 55 participants last post by  Bruisedwillis 
#1 ·
Any sign of it yet ?

Do Merc have a set time of year when they refresh the models with MY updates ?

Wonder if there will be anything before Geneva in March

#2 ·
Any sign of it yet ?

Do Merc have a set time of year when they refresh the models with MY updates ?

Wonder if there will be anything before Geneva in March
Not a direct answer to your question but it seems that some mods are publicised when there's a new ebrochure and there have been a couple since November, the latest of which is effective from January 2019. That one finally details the rear axle styles AND introduces a new colour body option, Denim Blue Metallic.

#3 ·
Re Apple CarPlay, for those of us that didn't spec it on ordering the car, then discovered its apparent availability as a retro "fit" (at a price), I'm pleased to say my pestering of the Mercedes Me team has finally paid off. They've been in touch to request details of my local dealership in order to provide them with the relevant steps they need to perform in order to add the Carplay functionality. My car's now booked in for this Friday for the update.

Not sure if that will allow connection via Bluetooth or whether it will only operate via USB. I'll report back.

#10 ·
I believe you have to purchase the pack upon ordering. I had a stock car so didn't get an opportunity to make that choice at the time, hence the retrofit. I'm only expecting Carplay functionality, not the recharging facility, which will account for the difference in price.

#13 ·
I don't think you need to pay for the advanced connectivity pack if all you want is carplay/android auto. You can buy the smartphone integration pack post purchase from the mercedes me store when you get the car. I have the option to buy it and I didn't order the advanced connectivity pack.

You just won't get the wireless charging pad and the ability to unlock your car with NFC. I think the advanced connectivity pack also gives you an extra usb slot in the glove box. You get 1 by default in there, but 2 if you order the pack.

#16 ·
I don't think you need to pay for the advanced connectivity pack if all you want is carplay/android auto. You can buy the smartphone integration pack post purchase from the mercedes me store when you get the car. I have the option to buy it and I didn't order the advanced connectivity pack.

But that's the issue in my case. I've now been told you can only obtain the smartphone integration pack post-purchase if your car was built from Sep 18 onwards. Mine was a July build. Out of interest, when was your car built?

#15 ·
Unlocking your vehicle with your phone via the mercedes app is one thing....the connectivity pack allows you to unlock your phone by touching the back of your phone to the door using NFC. It also allows up to 5 friends to do the same if you give them permission

#21 ·
The list of cars that support wireless CarPlay is very short (but confusingly includes the W177):

BMW 2017 5 Series
BMW 2018 3 Series
Audi 2019 A6 (unconfirmed)
Audi 2019 A7
Audi 2019 A8
Audi 2019 Q8 (unconfirmed)
Audi 2020 e-tron SUV
Lamborghini Urus
Mercedes 2018 A-Class (Q3 2018)
Mercedes 2019 GLE (MBUX system)
Mini 2018 LCI Hatch & Convertible range
Toyota 2020 Supra

This is a list from http://carplaylife.com/feature/how-to-make-apple-carplay-wireless/ so not official.

#23 ·
I wonder if it has something to do with the Hotspot feature of the car.

For Wireless Carplay the phone connects to the car's hotspot, but what if your car is already connected to your home's WiFi or phone tether network?

Would that be a technical limitation preventing (mostly Australian cars I guess) to have wireless Carplay?

Maybe I'm just making fast assumptions?
Would love to have some feedback from MB about their roadmap regarding MBUX… :(

#26 ·
Wireless CarPlay W177 A-Class

Just received my wife's, W177 A-Class with Advanced Smart Integration. No Wireless Carplay, dealer states it is not available in UK. So my question is why sell Wireless Charging and Apple Carplay in the same bundle. Yes, there is a port for using CarPlay via a cable, but why would I need wireless charging if I have to plug it in. Also there is not enough room to put the phone on the wireless changer with the cable in.

I am complaining to Mercedes right now. Dealer not really helping just keeps referring to the brochure, but the actual brochure does not state CarPlay has to be plugged in or not. I believe it is misleading.

#27 ·
It's coming next update. MB preparing launch major update very soon. I don't know what that mean 1 week or 3 month [emoji1]

That update was out little moment, but they pulled it off because there was some problem.

These told me Mercedes-Benz and my dealer. And I really hope this is true.

If it's major update, what else big they release too [emoji848]

I live in Finland, so I don't know if this applies to other countries

#29 · (Edited)
New news Apple Wireless CarPlay. Not goog news people who car was build 2018.

https://blog.mercedes-benz-passion.com/2019/05/wireless-apple-carplay-fuer-a-klasse-und-cla/

Edit: Blog deleted [emoji848]

But this was there.

Apple CarPlay benötigt aktuell das “Freshup 2” für das MBUX System, welches für Fahrzeuge mit Änderungsjahr 19/1 mit ausgeliefert wird. Für bisherige Fahrzeuge ist ein Update zwar möglich, nach unserer aktuellen Kenntnis sollte dies jedoch nicht ohne zusätzliche Kosten beim Händler möglich sein.

#32 ·
I have never read or even heard about that it's not coming at all.

Not true, because MB is say many times it's coming next update and it's coming "soon". And i heard someone already get it, but that's not confirmed.

That update was already out 2-3 weeks ago but it pull out because some problem.

#31 ·
Shoot, here I was looking out for the Fresh Up 2. Hoping that would bring wireless CarPlay.
Its a shame that other brand do here wireless CarPlay and that Mercedes won't get it. :/
Even-through the standard A-class has all the components to support wireless CarPlay

#35 ·
Surely they have to be accountable for the promises they make right? They made a big deal about the new A class having wireless airplay as part of MBUX back in May 2018 and got coverage from many tech media.

Then their own social media accounts and email correspondences had repeatedly promised that its “coming” via OTA and now suddenly there are all these eligibility criteria.

Attachments