Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there
I don't know if this is the best place to post this but really wanted to warn others. I bought metal dust caps/covers, they looked great but this morning I had low pressure warning on my car, I went to top up the air and couldn't get the cap off, long story short, £85 later I had to replace the sensor valve on one wheel. Thankfully Mercedes were able to get the other 3 off without damage but I'll be sticking to the standard rubber ones.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Yes this is a common issue with metal (alloy) caps, they fuse to the steel valve stem and get stuck on, been caught myself, managed to unscrew them with a lot of force but damaged all the stems which meant they perished by MOT time, Arghhh.I now find a small bit of grease or copper slip on the valve thread eliminates any issues.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Yesunfortunately with TPMS valves your better off sticking to plastic and I even put a bit of Vaseline in those

Edited by: ALS391

·
Registered
26 Posts
Just found out the hard way about metal dust caps! Tried removing the front dust caps to put a bit more air in the tyres, but the dust caps had completely seized up. Adjustable spanner loosened the one up, but the other didn't come off and ended up snapping the valve ˜­ up on the jack overnight, new TPMS unit and valve fitted this morning!

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Horrible isn't it

·
Registered
475 Posts
I have some Merc dust caps on mine with the logo, however they are plastic. Seeing this post I now understand why!

·
Registered
475 Posts
Don’t understand why people are having the TPMS sensor replaced due to this.
The valve stem is separate from the sensor and in theory should be replaced every time you have new tires fitted anyway.
There’s a service kit available for this reason.

If people are replacing your entire sensor for a stuck valve cap then frankly they’re having you on!

I have the OE metal looking caps which are plastic as someone said. But even then, these can be a pain compared to the original plain ones.
It’s obviously important to barely tighten them too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts