Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Though it be fun to have a new topic devoted to the MPG your new A-Class returns!

Can there be anyone else out there not getting the 65mpg+ advertised for their CDI? or 45/50+ for petrol.... surely not!

I realise there a lot of factors to consider but I get:

180cdi AMG SPORT - 35-40 round town and 45ish on a good run
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,175 Posts
A250 AMG sport - 26mpg on my route to work, haven't had a chance to get a good long run yet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
39 Posts
With my engine as in my signature I've been getting high 30s, but got to take into account that it's the first 150 miles and without destroying the new engine I'm still not exactly being Mr Efficient - scoring poor marks on the little gauges it has and testing out the heated seats, aircon etc. etc.


Edited by: SJM
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
626 Posts
No-one will ever achieve the manufacturer figures - they are notoriously false regardless of the manufacturer as they are achieved in false environments with warmed up cars driven more gently than ever realistic.

I recently read a report that said one manufacturer had even taped over all of the panel gaps etc in order to get the best possible aerodynamics for the test. They are not 'real world' which is why you will never achieve them.

In my experience, if you achieve the 'Urban' figure with a mixture of town and country driving you should be pretty pleased. That is the basis I use when choosing a new car having been bitten befre with false expectations. The combined figures are pie in the sky.

Its one of the biggest cons around. One day someone will do something about it!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
80 Posts
SJM said:
With my engine as in my signature I've been getting high 30s,
but got to take into account that it's the first 150 miles and without
destroying the new engine I'm still not exactly being Mr Efficient -
scoring poor marks on the little gauges it has and testing out the
heated seats, aircon etc. etc.

I think that is actually pretty good for your engine all factors considering! With my A220CDi on the way I would hope to get around 50-52 mpg out of a tank once all is run in and settled down. I get around 49-50 with my current 2007 118d and the figures show the Merc should be slightly (and I do mean very slightly!) better. I think I'm a pretty efficient driver (90% dual carriage and motorway) so I will also be interested in how the eco metre built into the cars thinks I do.

Edited by: iopean
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
626 Posts
iopean said:
I think that is actually pretty good for your engine all factors considering! With my A220CDi on the way I would hope to get around 50-52 mpg out of a tank once all is run in and settled down. I get around 49-50 with my current 2007 118d and the figures show the Merc should be slightly (and I do mean very slightly!) better. I think I'm a pretty efficient driver (90% dual carriage and motorway) so I will also be interested in how the eco metre built into the cars thinks I do.
I agree. My A220 showed 52mpg on the driver display after a 100 mile steady round trip on Sunday, mainly on A roads - 60 and 70mph. Given that it had only done 150 miles and the weather was cold, I was very pleased with that.

This week on my trip/slog to work in stop start traffic it is only showing 30mpg but so did my last car.

As it loosens up, it can only improve.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
mon2s said:
iopean said:
I think that is actually pretty good for your engine all factors considering! With my A220CDi on the way I would hope to get around 50-52 mpg out of a tank once all is run in and settled down. I get around 49-50 with my current 2007 118d and the figures show the Merc should be slightly (and I do mean very slightly!) better. I think I'm a pretty efficient driver (90% dual carriage and motorway) so I will also be interested in how the eco metre built into the cars thinks I do.
I agree. My A220 showed 52mpg on the driver display after a 100 mile steady round trip on Sunday, mainly on A roads - 60 and 70mph. Given that it had only done 150 miles and the weather was cold, I was very pleased with that.

This week on my trip/slog to work in stop start traffic it is only showing 30mpg but so did my last car.

As it loosens up, it can only improve.

I've done about 1250 miles in my A200 CDI AMG Sport and I average about 45 mpg. My daily driving to work is a combination of 10 miles of dual carriageway with lots of roundabouts, and then about 15 miles of motorway driving at 70-80. I'm quite happy with that, it's a lot more than I used to get out of my CLC on the same journey.


J
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
54 Posts
I have done 2650 miles in my A200 CDI AMG Sport and only achieved 43mpg average.
I have now had a TDI Tuning Box fitted which increases power from 134bhp up to 177bhp and as we as having much better performance I also now get 51 mpg regularly on my normal work journey of 19 miles.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
mon2s said:
No-one will ever achieve the manufacturer figures - they are notoriously false regardless of the manufacturer as they are achieved in false environments with warmed up cars driven more gently than ever realistic.
Itsn´t not the car maker that are the ones to blame, its the ECE test cycle
The car makers are all staying with in the norm but of course make "the most out of it"

The are lots of work going on to create a much more realistic test cycle.

Take the ECE values for a "comparison tool" to compare different cars and makes
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
80 Posts
mixonic2 said:
I have done 2650 miles in my A200 CDI AMG Sport and only achieved 43mpg average.
I have now had a TDI Tuning Box fitted which increases power from 134bhp up to 177bhp and as we as having much better performance I also now get 51 mpg regularly on my normal work journey of 19 miles.
A tuning box on a brand new car? That's brave! I've always been very skeptical of those things being the poor cousin of a proper remap. How are you finding it works, did you get it on a rolling road to test the 177hp figure?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
54 Posts
iopean said:
mixonic2 said:
I have done 2650 miles in my A200 CDI AMG Sport and only achieved 43mpg average.
I have now had a TDI Tuning Box fitted which increases power from 134bhp up to 177bhp and as we as having much better performance I also now get 51 mpg regularly on my normal work journey of 19 miles.
A tuning box on a brand new car? That's brave! I've always been very skeptical of those things being the poor cousin of a proper remap. How are you finding it works, did you get it on a rolling road to test the 177hp figure?
I have had these tuning boxes on 4 new cars in the past 5 years (Mercs and Audis)they all performed extremely well and always improve performance and mpg.

The benifit of a tuning box is that you can remove it in 5 minutes before visiting your main dealer and the box does not show up on the cars ECU. So no warranty issues.
Just make sure you inform your insurance company as you will not be covered for this modification.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
147 Posts
Just did a 1250 mile holiday trip with my new A180 petrol (one passenger + luggage). The average speed was ~50 mph mainly on country roads. This gave me 49 mpg.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
I have travelled just under 400 miles since delivery and I am getting just under 55mpg (A180 SportDiesel) but I am becoming obsesses with the eco figures on the display and trying to get my percentage up ! No decent long runs yet as the traffic has been against me !
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Great figures I would say fisky! I got same engine AMG sport, Auto and I nowhere hear that in fact I now getting 45 ish overall!
Out of interest in those 400 miles roughly what percentage Eco are you getting and apx what is the overalls ave speed?
I aware auto and 18" wheels don't help but it's a big jump - 10 extra mpg!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
147 Posts
I've noticed that it's not wise to use the 6th gear (manual box) around 50 mph, event hough the gear change indicator wants you to. At least I'm getting much better figures by using the 5th.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top