Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

Registered
Well. The upcoming Mk.8 Golf R will be based on, the Mk.8 Golf.
It's probably useful to those who might be considering a new, potentially more powerful Golf R, than an A35.

You do know it isn't compulsory to read every post, nor view every YouTube video posted on here, don't you? You can just scroll past posts! ;)
They asked me to check on your moderation Mr S&M 馃槀馃榿

Registered

Registered
It's not clear if the car quality is improved in the S3 version or if it's also taken a step backwards from the last version.

Registered
Fancy an S3 instead?

No doubt its a good looking car especially the saloon and I know I鈥檓 biased but none of the competitors have wowed me like the A35 did when it was announced, maybe just because it was the first of them all in this new generation. Still waiting for more info on the Golf R but currently I wouldn鈥檛 even consider swapping it for something like a M135i or S3.

Reactions: veeeight

Registered
S3 looks quite ugly.
Current RS6 looks cartoon like, and the S3 just looks like this but shrunk in the wash. It's a shame because fast Audis of the past used to get my juices flowing, but the new generation I don't feel are desirable in the least on looks at least :cry:

Registered
Audi has just lost their way. They used to have the best interiors by a mile, but that looks the worst of the 4 and the perhaps the most surprising thing is the compromises they have made to the material quality. Those 'Lamborghini' air vents look like a Halfords aftermarket stick on accessory o_O

The Golf is not much better IMO. I know it's positioned as a class below the other 3, but it still looks low rent. But at least it's not over stylized like the Audi.

If you cover up the front end, the BMW looks pretty good and the interior is nice to these eyes at least. But I just couldn't get over that front end. I'm not against all modern BMW front ends (the 4 series grill is growing on me and that's massive), but the 1 series just looks like it's straight out of Angry Birds.

I agree with Matt, the A Class is the winner!

Reactions: veeeight

Registered
A well deserved A Class win.

Registered
It was marginal :p

(Soooo close, so close) 馃槀
Objectively yes @veeeight. But would you take either of the other 3 over the A Class? Personally I think each of the others have such serious individual shortcomings that they wouldn鈥檛 even make it on to my shortlist. The interior quality of the Audi and VW, and the front end styling of the Beemer. So whilst the disadvantages are marginal if you are being objective, in reality it鈥檚 quite black and white so far as I鈥檓 concerned.

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #37
Objectively, if I were looking for the best driving characteristics with the sharpest handling, (and overcoming the front end styling), the BMW would be the one.

But I鈥檇 had to drive them myself to see if the advantage was worth it of course! As the concluding remarks say, there鈥檚 really nothing to choose between them, it all depends which individual factor slightly tips the balance towards a particular car for that person!

The A Class is the best all rounder in that group.

(My post above was ever so slightly tongue in cheek anyway, and certainly not meant as a basis on which to start a 3 page discussion!)

Registered
(My post above was ever so slightly tongue in cheek anyway, and certainly not meant as a basis on which to start a 3 page discussion!)
LOL fair enough. I expect you are worn out after G Wagongate 馃槈馃槅

Registered
If the A class wasn鈥檛 an option I would probably go for the Beemer as well. Luckily it is an option and I don鈥檛 have to drive with that front grill and stare at the god-awful drivers display all day long.

As Mat says the infotainment blows the others out the water and it鈥檚 probably the 2nd most important factor for me after the overall looks since performance wise all the competition are basically on par.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts