61 - 80 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Reactions: veeeight

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
‘The seats look like a dead whale’s tongue and offer as much support as Old Trafford does lately’

Had to laugh at that, Im not a massive fan of the seats either, I would’ve happily paid the £1500 or whatever extra for performance seats if it was an option.
I laughed at that line too, was quite clever. However, I quite like the look of the A35 seats as they remind me a little of retro Porsche 911 seats (circa. 964 era):

With that said and I do like the look of them, but they are not the most laterally supportive when cornering hard. I agree the A45S seats look much better in that regards.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Performance looks unbelievable, closer to A45s rival than A35 but that interior is closer to a boggo A180 SE, when he pressed down on that steering wheel button it looked like it could be made out of rubber the way it flexed.

Reactions: veeeight

·
Registered
48 Posts
Performance looks unbelievable, closer to A45s rival than A35 but that interior is closer to a boggo A180 SE, when he pressed down on that steering wheel button it looked like it could be made out of rubber the way it flexed.
Yeah, performance is not far behind the a45s. Shame, there looks to be a significant price hike in Aus compared to last version. Its an engine thats a lot easier to make big power out of with mods/tuning than the a45s.
In my mind if they had made a next generation Focus RS it would have been like this.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Shame, there looks to be a significant price hike in Aus compared to last version.
Seems pretty significant here too, I believe the Golf like most cars has been increasing in price but it’s about £8000 up from the last one when that came out.

It’s a bit confusing as it’s now more than the S3 which was always a couple grand more than the R as it’s basically the same car with a more premium badge. All I can see happening is them selling most for a few grand less than list and then the used market showing how it should have been priced in 6 months / a years time.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Is thre R now a step up from the S3?
The R has the new trick torque vectoring AWD with a drift mode.
That seems to be the way VW are placing it yeah, VW and Audi share so many platforms of cars though and to my knowledge Audi has always had the slightly more premium offering so thats why it’s a bit strange.

They probably clocked onto how many more Golf R’s they could sell over S3’s and decided to put the majority of their eggs in the VW basket.

·
Registered
44 Posts
From what I have seen elsewhere, Audi is trying to detach the 'S' models from the 'RS' models. S4 went Diesel for instance, S3 has been held in place, giving space for RS4/RS5 to shine and RS3 to come in with big performance.
Golf R is now clearly more purposeful in pure performance than GTI too. So they're differentiating the models and trying to appeal to specific market segments to my mind.

·
Super Moderator
3,944 Posts
The Golf Club Sport, previously the TCR, produces 300ps hence why the R has been moved up the power and torque ratings. I suspect the R produces more power and torque than advertised for it to hit 0-60 in almost 4 sec.

·
Super Moderator
3,944 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Wow, so basically a45s performance for 30% less cost. Is the manual version still available in UK?
That engine has been very easy and capable to mod, but looks like VW havd allready cranked it up.
Wonder if the new rs3 will also be such a big step up - at least driveline wise?

·
Super Moderator
3,944 Posts
Only available as an auto I believe.

Reactions: Sixman

·
Registered
48 Posts
Wonder why they limited manual to US market?
Still, if it was out when i was car shoppig would have seriously consideted it.
I tried the current gen rs3, but ghe handling was terrible. Preferred the M2 as a driver, but 2 door not practical.

·
Super Moderator
3,944 Posts
I think the current Golf R is fabulous for the price. But it's probably a bit like going first class on a plane, the A45, and premium economy, the Golf R. Both will get us there but one makes a journey an occasion as well as fun and the other just makes the journey fun.

I'm sure most R owners will strongly disagree with that analogy....

·
Registered
48 Posts
Owners of either car will be one-eyed.

I can see the motoring journalist's conclusions allready - similar cars, similar performance, save your money and but the R.

For fun, surely it would go to the M2. Forget first class, think your own private jet.

Even with a new awd system, the rs3 is always going to be hampered by the bulk of the 5 cylinder over the front axle.

But anyway, who said performance cars are history! So many awesome choices

61 - 80 of 121 Posts