Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

81 - 100 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts

Honestly, the Golf R must be running plenty more than its official stats. To hold a 45s is ridiculous. Fair play to VW, but they've gone big on performance for the R

·
Super Moderator
3,944 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,944 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,944 Posts
Thanks. I missed it in my haste.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Looks like the G8R wont get to Oz till 2022. Still not sure about pricing and sadly no manual.
Still, if its 30-40% cheaper than an A45s its hard to argue with. For a fast, exceptional handling daily, there wont be anything between them in spirited street driving.
VW only offer a 3 yr warranty vs the AMG 5 yr, but the R has been traditionally much easier to tune/mod. Love my A45s, but the R looks like better value.

Is the S3 using the same AWD system? Does it have drift mode?

I reckon if they do the new rs3 properly - needs way better chasis and awd system, it will be a beast. Nothing beats the sound f the 5 cylinder.

·
Super Moderator
3,944 Posts
I thought the S3 doesn't have drift mode but I'm not 100% sure.

If the RS3 appears around the time of the FL A45s it may well need be the 450ps version which has been mooted, if the we see a hybrid drivetrain in the FL with quite a few more horses.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I thought the S3 doesn't have drift mode but I'm not 100% sure.

If the RS3 appears around the time of the FL A45s it may well need be the 450ps version which has been mooted, if the we see a hybrid drivetrain in the FL with quite a few more horses.
The one car that really needs an upgrade is the A35. That thing gets smashed

·
Super Moderator
3,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
Twas alway thus, the S3 & S8R & M135i are all subsequent releases to the A35, it's always a game of power leapfrog when each new model gets released. I expect the FL version of the A35 to be quicker.

Also - the A35 is deliberately kept in its place so as not to encroach onto the A45 territory.

That said - I spotted an interesting post on the W177 A45s facebook group, a few owners are complaining at the non-race start acceleration of the A45/A45s, in your everyday traffic light grand prix, it's beaten off the lights by WRX's and Corollas ;)

I've long said that car reviewers should start doing acceleration tests without race start/launch control, this gives a much more realistic comparison of everyday driving, for example, getting away from the lights, or spotting a gap in traffic to pull out into, or trying to join a very busy roundabout and you need the car to respond immediately!

·
Super Moderator
3,944 Posts
I think the A45s/A35 and the previous A45 acceleration is slow in C but if you switch to S+ it makes a huge difference. I would imagine most auto fast cars are the same.

·
Super Moderator
3,944 Posts
The one car that really needs an upgrade is the A35. That thing gets smashed
Yes I agree and hopefully both the A35 and A45s will get a power uplift in their FL versions, but ideally before.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Honestly, I don't think my A35 needs any more power - it's got plenty enough poke to be a fun steer as it is...

81 - 100 of 121 Posts