Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

101 - 120 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Honestly, I don't think my A35 needs any more power - it's got plenty enough poke to be a fun steer as it is...
I agree, obviously it’d be nice to hold the trump cards over the rivals but if I really cared about that I wouldn’t of got the 35 in the first place or I’d just get it mapped. I think the car is still the most desirable in it’s class, at least for me it is.

Reactions: AThirtyFive

·
Registered
123 Posts
Honestly, I don't think my A35 needs any more power - it's got plenty enough poke to be a fun steer as it is...
I totally agree with you. Manufacturers will keep on building small hatchbacks with higher and higher power, as there is a community that demands it. However, I think the level of power the A35 has is quite enough for a hatchback and at the price you pay for it. When you start to crave more power in such a line of vehicles, you start to encroach on more exotic cars that would give you more balanced performance. Cars like the Porsche Cayman to name just one.

I know the A35 isn't perfect, but for me its a great little car that has so much more luxury than all of my previous hatchbacks. It really is an achievement on the part of Mercedes.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I totally agree with you. Manufacturers will keep on building small hatchbacks with higher and higher power, as there is a community that demands it. However, I think the level of power the A35 has is quite enough for a hatchback and at the price you pay for it. When you start to crave more power in such a line of vehicles, you start to encroach on more exotic cars that would give you more balanced performance. Cars like the Porsche Cayman to name just one.

I know the A35 isn't perfect, but for me its a great little car that has so much more luxury than all of my previous hatchbacks. It really is an achievement on the part of Mercedes.
There is an argument for saying even the A35 is too powerful for UK public roads, but I think it’s probably just on the cusp of acceptability. You don’t have to be doing crazy speeds to experience it’s performance and you can enjoy accelerating for that fraction longer than in something like the G8R I would imagine. I’ve never driven the A45S. I’m totally in awe of its performance from an engineering POV, but I don’t covet that car in the slightest because it’s too fast and therefore not accessible performance for my average driving skills and more importantly for UK roads.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I personally believe that any performance car that has over 300 bhp, really has to be taken on the track in order to fully exploit all the car is capable of.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I personally believe that any performance car that has over 300 bhp, really has to be taken on the track in order to fully exploit all the car is capable of.
By and large I wouldn’t disagree with you @Chow Gar

·
Registered
120 Posts
Well said guys 👍🏻 Completely agree. The A35 is plenty fast enough for the road, even on a track I never felt it needed more power.
It’s a shame so many people now judge cars based on drag races. Don’t get me wrong, I think they’re great fun to watch but essentially they’re utterly pointless. A 1/4 mile on an empty air field is just not comparable to any situation you’ll ever come across on a British road.
People get so caught up these days chasing numbers they lose sight of what these types of car are all about.
I was running a tuning box up until my last service, sounds hypocritical I know but I haven’t bothered putting it back on. Nothing wrong with it, just doesn’t need it. Confirms my thoughts like many others, it’s great as it is.

·
Registered
48 Posts
If your happy with your car thats the most important thing. There will forever be newer and better. To be honest, most of these comments are like what owners of an A180 think about their cars.

AMG is about performance, and we are discussing the merits of the G8R which so far seems to have unexpected unbelievable performance. Its not just straight line speed, the secret sauce seems to be in the driveline, its going to be dynamically on another level to its predecessor and competitors. Quite an engineering achievement, so much so that it could probably be considered a viable alternative to the A45s. They are all sports cars disguised as hatchbacks, and performance is going to be the yardstick. AMG will meet the challenge with the FL models, then VW/Audi will come back and so the cycle will continue....

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
AMG will meet the challenge with the FL models, then VW/Audi will come back and so the cycle will continue....
Alas, unfortunately I think you maybe right @Sixman. The one-up-man-ship will continue for the next few years until they stop making ICE cars altogether, and then it will probably carry on into the electric age too.

Or perhaps not... The Golf GTI seems to have existed for a good number of years without getting embroiled in the arms race. It’s been able to do this because of the headroom created by the R. Hopefully Merc AMG will allow the A45/45S to continue scrapping for bragging rights and leave the A35 to occupy that more useable better value 300bhp space. In my book 300bhp in a road car is still very much a performance car and worthy of the AMG badge (as long as you’re not hung up on the 1 man 1 engine thing).

There are at least a few of us on here who prefer the more balanced blend of qualities that cars like the A35 provide over the more extreme models like the A45S. With current discounts you can get a fully loaded A35 for £12k less than than an equivalently specced A45S Plus. To me the only thing that the A45S offers over the A35 is bragging rights through its admittedly incredible performance and marginally better handling, but as I said earlier, the performance advantage over the A35 can’t be exploited safely/legally on UK public roads. So actually as a road car it doesn’t offer anything more really. I’m not trying to bash the A45S, G8R, RS3, etc. I’m just trying to make the point that more power doesn’t necessarily make for a better ownership experience.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Alas, unfortunately I think you maybe right @Sixman. The one-up-man-ship will continue for the next few years until they stop making ICE cars altogether, and then it will probably carry on into the electric age too.

Or perhaps not... The Golf GTI seems to have existed for a good number of years without getting embroiled in the arms race. It’s been able to do this because of the headroom created by the R. Hopefully Merc AMG will allow the A45/45S to continue scrapping for bragging rights and leave the A35 to occupy that more useable better value 300bhp space. In my book 300bhp in a road car is still very much a performance car and worthy of the AMG badge (as long as you’re not hung up on the 1 man 1 engine thing).

There are at least a few of us on here who prefer the more balanced blend of qualities that cars like the A35 provide over the more extreme models like the A45S. With current discounts you can get a fully loaded A35 for £12k less than than an equivalently specced A45S Plus. To me the only thing that the A45S offers over the A35 is bragging rights through its admittedly incredible performance and marginally better handling, but as I said earlier, the performance advantage over the A35 can’t be exploited safely/legally on UK public roads. So actually as a road car it doesn’t offer anything more really. I’m not trying to bash the A45S, G8R, RS3, etc. I’m just trying to make the point that more power doesn’t necessarily make for a better ownership experience.
Yeah, I totally get what you are saying. As I said its the same rationale as why an A180 owner prefers their car over the A35.
Cant argue with subjective preferences or ones line in the sand about what is worthwhile and useable. However, performance is largely objectively measured and the results so far are clear.

I actually almost bought the A35 and seriously considered the current RS3, however, coming from a 4 yo Focus RS -both were quicker (the A35 only marginally so) but so far behind in driving dynamics it seemed like a massive backward step in terms of driver enjoyment. I could not rationalise spending more money on a car that to me was not as much fun to drive. The A45s was a big big step up in handling compared to either A35 or RS3. Still, I dream about that 5 cylinder.

In a local mag shootout the A45s lapped quicker than a Cayman GTS 4.0. Look forward to seeing what the G8R does on a track, which has traditionally been the big weakness of the R. I have other cars that I track, my A45s is more of a fun practical daily. But yeah - will only really experience what any of these cars are ultimately capable of on a track. Still think the A45s is much more fun on the road than current cheaper alternatives, the R wont be available to us for a while.

·
Super Moderator
1,855 Posts
It appears they didn’t like my challenge 😂😂😂😂😂
F549CD9C-2FDD-4E6B-B3A6-85B5BA6B7D74.png

·
Super Moderator
3,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #111
Ouch!!!!!

perhaps they thought you were trolling them!!

Maybe the mods on this site should mod with equal zeal 😂

·
Super Moderator
3,944 Posts
I can't believe someone as mild mannered as you has been banned. You are to the VWROC site what Trump was to twitter 😀

·
Registered
1,168 Posts

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
DMS Dyno is alleged to be optimistic, dyno lottery!
Its all in the gearing LOL

TBF, it’s all relative because Rob the DMS chappie gave analysis on the A45S and the comparative data was generated using the same Dyno I would assume...

Reactions: veeeight

·
Super Moderator
3,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #117
Would have like to have seen the overlay, it would have confirmed that it’s all in the last 1500rpm or so for the A45s.

I guess the G8R gearing theory does hold some water, if during the shifts the A35 and A45 drop out of that band.

When the A35 and A45/45s were launched, AMG made quite a thing of saying that the cars were deliberately mapped to give the feel of a NA engine/car, rather than a completely flat line across the whole Rev range.

101 - 120 of 121 Posts