Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have my MOT tomorrow but a front left malfunction error has started showing. I ran diagnostics on it and it said passenger-side occupancy sensor malfunction. I know you can purchase bypass kits but these won't arrive in time. I am pretty handy with a soldering iron etc so I was thinking I could link it out with a resistor or something but don't have a clue which wires I would need to link.

I was wondering if push came to shove could I just remove the seat/disconnect it to clear the error just for the MOT and then purchase a bypass sensor?

Really in need of some help on this and I appreciate any input!

It's a 63 W176

TIA! :)

·
Registered
140 Posts
A soldering iron bodge may be a good idea one incorrectly soldered wire could completely screw up you wiring loom & sensors. Can you not get the garage to clear the error code before the MOT or just buy a bypass unit & leave the MOT for a couple of days

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well they "attempted" to clear the code after the MOT but not sure if they did it properly, the key was in the ignition the whole time and he just turned the key a few times after clearing it.
Is there any way I can try this as I have an ELM OBD adapter with a phone app?
Would just unplugging the seat work?

·
Registered
140 Posts
I don't know about the obd adapter that you have, however I believe that the seat belt occupancy sensor warning is triggered when the electrical circuit in the sensor mat within your seat is broken, so unplugging the seat will do nothing at all to help you

·
Registered
140 Posts
Basically my friend you have 3 choices
1 Arrange for a new seat mat to be fitted at your local independent Mercedes garage
2 Buy a second seat of similar colour to your own & have your car system cleared
3 Fit a cheat emulator which will get your car through the MOT, however by doing this your passengers lives could be at risk in the event of a collision as the life saving air bags may now go off & protect your loved ones

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Basically my friend you have 3 choices
1 Arrange for a new seat mat to be fitted at your local independent Mercedes garage
2 Buy a second seat of similar colour to your own & have your car system cleared
3 Fit a cheat emulator which will get your car through the MOT, however by doing this your passengers lives could be at risk in the event of a collision as the life saving air bags may now go off & protect your loved ones
Well the emulator would mean that the airbag would always go off so as long as no non-adults are in the front which they won't be so shouldn't be an issue for the short term.

Doesn't look like I am going to be able to fix this in time for my MOT Monday afternoon :(

·
Registered
87 Posts
I dont´like the idea of using any king of bodge to solve any issues in such a complex systems like this. Simply because "we" don't fully undestand it and its real impact.
Sad just to know that my car has such a potencial failure mode. From now on I'll ask everyone to seat gently in my car ;-)
Sorry for not adding nothing valuable.

·
Registered
59 Posts
A bottle of seat cleaner spilled out of the bottle this morning. An entire 500ml. The seat is soaking and my passenger airbag warning has noe come on. Its that bad when i run my fingers over the foam underneath foam just drips out. I may try a wet vac but just in case if you go for the emulator can you post where you got it from and if it works

·
Registered
87 Posts
That is terrible! Try to check is the seat connector(s) (usually under the seat) is soaked and causing the problem.
I would advice that you disconnect the main battery before opening the seat connector.
I'm assuming that if the car is stopped, auxiliary battery will be isolated and will not feed safety circuits.
If it is soaked to the point that the contacts are contaminated, you should clean them with contacts cleaner. Just check if the connector has "rubber" seals. I believe not, otherwise take care, they tend to swollen in contact with contact cleaners.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Sorry to hear has happened to you, so it could be that the sensors in the seat mat have become wet & giving a false reading, could you not try to dry the seat with a wet vac hoover & then remove the seat into a dry heated area for a few days, then try plugging it in again.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Well i tried a wet vac. It got some out but not really worth shouting about. After a 3 hour commute this morning (damm bridge shut) with the heater on full blast the fabric is dry but the foam material underneath is still damp and oozing foam when squeezed. Im going to try keeping the heater on and maybe a dryer over the weekend.
Im hoping it doesnt dry sticky

·
Registered
59 Posts
Well the seat is dry. However it looks like its a hard code so needs a reset to clear. (Unless its still gubbed, however even the emulator company says you need to fit emulator and have codes cleared, its sold as a disgnostic tool)
My obd reader doesnt cut it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Well good news and bad.
Good news
The emulator worked. I also purchased a newer code reader that does SRS. (Cheaper than Merrcedes diagnostic charges). I was able to clear the codes.

Bad news
It comes back if I plug the mat back in place. So the seat cleaner has definately penettated the mat. Oh well an expensive lesson in checking lids are on tight.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts