Mercedes A-Class Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A Class 200 AMG Sport, automaticI have been disappointed in the car's'MPG to date, but today, having covered 1000miles, on the clock have had encouraging feedback.
My car journey from York ( A19) to Cheshire ( 103 miles) mainly on motorways, with limited traffic achieved 57.6MPG driving very carefully on a warm day. I also achieved the magic 100% score on the Eco bar chart for all three categories including coasting!. Bear in mind that traffic was light, only two sets of traffic lights all the way and a very warm day.

Overall over the 1000 miles the car is reading 63.6MPG average.
Tazio

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Those are impressive statistics Tazio! I was very happy with nearly 40 mpg yesterday, but that was over a 60 miles journey! Tomorrow I will be doing over 100 miles, be interesting to see what mpg I get!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Those are very impressive statistics - in my A200 AMG Sport - Manual - my average after 4000 miles is only 46.6 and for a single journey I haven't once been able to get it above 53. Most of my journeys in it are to work and back (23 miles each way). 20 miles of this are on dual carriageways with one set of traffic lights and five roundabouts, with most of the time the traffic flowing easily. I must be very heavy on my right foot I think.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I've only covered around 500 miles so far and am averaging 38mpg - but I don't do much motorway driving, so the journeys I do frequently aren't conducive to high mpg. The car car seems to be getting smoother - the gearbox feels seemless even on downshifts (it's a manual) and there seems to be more urgency in acceleration. Is this just in my mind or does the engine and gearbox get smoother and more more economical after you've put a decent amount of mileage on it?

·
Registered
67 Posts
you'll be amazed how much better your MPG can become by simply lifting the right-foot slightly off the throttle when driving.

Just lift and apply a little, then lift, let the car do the work, press a little, then lift until the car isn't decelerating... The range screen with the white bar for current MPG is useful for getting a feel for what hurts the figures.

1000-2000RPM is the cheap zone for Diesels, 1500-2500 for the A180 petrol. No aircon, under the speed limit, lift off, don't accel up a hill... suddenly you have uber MPG.

No fun mind you, but great MPG...

Edited by: IAMG

·
Registered
67 Posts
Nah, I'm not one of those nutters ;) there's no masking tape over my shut-lines...

I do use some of their techniques where appropriate and when it won't inconvenience other road users.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.