Mercedes A-Class Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Vendor
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Firstly, Happy New Year all!

The first of many products we will be adding this year to our inventory is a new cold air induction kit from MST Performance who we are in discussion of being their sole European re-seller.

The MST intake is similar to the Mishimoto intake we offer in that it replaces all elements of the air filtration system including the turbo to filter hose. The MST intake still uses the original plastic airbox but removes the lid and replaces this part with an open, large casing. The upsides is this will give maximum noise and yet with the system still being enclosed by sealing on the underside of the bonnet, it won't inhale the hot air inside the engine bay.

Power gains can be had up to around the 20WHP range and similar torque levels (graph below).

We are offering the first 5 kits only at a sale price of £300 (normal retail is £320). After these first 5 intakes are sold we won't be looking to discount them again. We do ship worldwide too.

Available here -https://carbonwurks.com/shop/by-category/feature/mst-performance-intake-kit/

To some pictures and a dyno graph!

·
Vendor
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dessss said:
Saw it onfba while ago and was interested already! Took the dive and just ordered one!

Thanks for your order Desmond! Your intake is now being packaged and will be collected by the courier today. Do post up pictures and how you get on with it

·
Registered
15 Posts
The items have arrived today via courier and the kit was very well packaged! A few stickers, a keyring and a bottle of car shampoo was included as a free gift!

Here is the picture of all the bits out of the box.

I have just finished installation, and went on a quick test drive.

Can confirm the sound of it in the cabin is intoxicating! It's not loud nor quiet inside. So I'm guessing it is loud outside the car! When my foot is taken off the pedal, I am rewarded with swoosh and woosh, as well as turbo flutter noises!

Installation was fairly straightforward, save the instructions which would have been better if they were in colour or just small amounts of caption.

Not having any background as a car mechanic, I was still able to complete the installation as long as I could unscrew a few bolts and take off some clips!

I also checked if the car knew it gained torque or not, therefore I checked the engine data using the AMG digital dials provided by the car. It would cap at 475Nm before, but now when I put my foot down, the needle would top out at 500Nm, meaning it probably should go higher! The butt dyno could also feel the differences!

Since it's too dark I couldn't take a picture of the finished installation, will add that at a later time! But man was it worth the pennies!

Thanks for the quick delivery from CW as well!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Really liking this design! My Nortech may have to move aside

·
Vendor
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dessss said:
The items have arrived today via courier and the kit was very well packaged! A few stickers, a keyring and a bottle of car shampoo was included as a free gift!...

Thanks so much for taking the time to give some feedback Des. Great to hear you like the intake and very happy to hear that the intake does immediately help with power as well with giving the soundtrack a bit of a boost too!

I shall get in touch with MST about the fitting guide and will see if this can be improved to help other future customers out. It's very helpful to get some real world detailed feedback, so thanks again for taking the time to do so.

When you do get some pictures of the kit installed, if you could post some up or send some across to our email they would be great to see. As a thanks for all I shall have a Carbonwurks carbon keyring sent out to you for!

[email protected]

·
Vendor
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
MarkM said:
Really liking this design! My Nortech may have to move aside

It's definitely a very well made piece of kit and all fits nicely too. Currently we only have 2 more kits in stock and available at this discounted price, after which they will increase from £300 to £320.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Thinking of putting in order from Daniel at carbon is the MST filter better than the ams filter ? The thing scares me is swoosh sound for the wife
To be driving the ams supposed not to sound as loud as this
Any feed back be great

·
Registered
12 Posts
It is a bit noisy for me to be honest, my last car was an impreza with a Bailey's dump valve as well

I ended up taking the open shroud top off and just putting the standard plastic air box cover on to keep the noise down and it's perfect now. Can only hear it a little during hard acceleration which is what I was after.

In terms of performance I can't see there being much noticable difference between the two but I've never used the AMS system.

I'm happy with the MST system and great service from Carbonwurks

·
Vendor
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
H3Y.BY said:
It is a bit noisy for me to be honest, my last car was an impreza with a Bailey's dump valve as well

I ended up taking the open shroud top off and just putting the standard plastic air box cover on to keep the noise down and it's perfect now. Can only hear it a little during hard acceleration which is what I was after.

In terms of performance I can't see there being much noticable difference between the two but I've never used the AMS system.

I'm happy with the MST system and great service from Carbonwurks

That's interesting to hear and some very useful feedback for those wanting a more subtle intake noise. We didn't realise they were that loud without the top cover and only the extender in place. The good thing is at least you have the option like you have done where you can just put the top cover back in place if needs be to reduce noise.

Glad you are getting on with the kit and happy you liked the customer service.

·
Vendor
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Scotty_C said:
Only for the A45?

We do also have one for the A160/180/200/250 model A classes. There are some variances between models, we will post up at some stage with the intake in more detail.

If you want to drop us a PM with a photo of your engine bay I can let you know whether it will work.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Very happy with my MST intake bought through Carbonwurks.

However, as @H3Y.BY had done, I took the shroud off and fitted the OEM top cover back on for daily driving. The intake noise is intoxicating but genuinely a little tiresome for long journeys (which I do regularly). I think the noise is amplified through the bonnet as the noise is channelled up the shroud onto the metalwork.

I'll almost certainly take off the OEM cover and put the shroud on for track days or when it stops being a daily, as it's a 4 bolt swap in 2 minutes and the sound IS INTOXICATING!

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Keeping the air box open will degrade performance.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Not sure I meant that. Daily driving it has the OEM cover on, track days I'll use the MST shroud. Neither cause the intake to be openEdited by: richybeattie

1 - 20 of 23 Posts