Mercedes A-Class Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
352 Posts
looks good BUT would look better in carbon ??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
205 Posts
Lovely stuff.

The registration plate censorship is pretty hilarious though. Its clear what it is - just in case you're bothered and want to cover it a bit more.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
352 Posts
was thinking of getting mine carbon dipped if can't get the proper carbon bit
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
TerryA213 said:
was thinking of getting mine carbon dipped if can't get the proper carbon bit







Sure, that would look nice; I was working to a budget, and also wanted something that would only be semi permanent, incase I made a bodge of it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here's the how to:


1. Purchased 400ml plastidip black spray can from http://www.plastidip.co.uk/index.cfm

2. Learned how to work with the stuff from the Plastidip guru Fonz: http://www.youtube.com/user/DipYourCarcom

3. Masked around the bumper and grill area: See pics as follows:







4. Make sure you get the masking tapereally close to the edges of the splitter:















5. For tips on how to do the spraying follow the Fonz's videos. Iwaited 12 to 15 minutes between coats, and did 5 coats in total........picture between coats:







6. Be careful when removing masking tape, as plastidip is quite tacky when drying, so you need remove carefully, particularly in the "cranny" where the top of the splitter meets the bottom of the bumper. I actually used a thin screwdriver head to score along the join lines first.



 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,175 Posts
Nice, I've had that in mind for a couple of weeks. Have you thought of doing the inside of the skirts too?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
45 Posts
Platidip is the nuts. I've had a can here since I ordered my A - ready to black the rear badges as soon as she arrives!!

In the mean time I have been using my dads car as practice


Looks awesome on your front lip!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
aguycalleddb said:
Nice, I've had that in mind for a couple of weeks. Have you thought of doing the inside of the skirts too?







Hi Dan, yes I have thought about the inside of the skirts, but on the bottom side, there is no obvious gap, unlike on the top sideand so I'm not sure how I will peel away the excessplastidip once it dries. Any ideas ?

Most of the you tube vids advise you to use an obvious gap to peel away the excess once dried, i.e. like the gap on a door. I may have to ask the guru Fonz on how togo aboutit.

For now, I'll see how I get on with the front splitter.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
297 Posts
Nice work nuvo! great clean work. Quick question, does plastidip have a gloss version? if so is the shine more of a satin shine or a gloss shine? (more matte or clean crystal gloss)Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,175 Posts
nuvolablue said:
aguycalleddb said:
Nice, I've had that in mind for a couple of weeks. Have you thought of doing the inside of the skirts too?







Hi Dan, yes I have thought about the inside of the skirts, but on the bottom side, there is no obvious gap, unlike on the top sideand so I'm not sure how I will peel away the excessplastidip once it dries. Any ideas ?

Most of the you tube vids advise you to use an obvious gap to peel away the excess once dried, i.e. like the gap on a door. I may have to ask the guru Fonz on how togo aboutit.

For now, I'll see how I get on with the front splitter.
You could run a line of very fine masking tape to create a cut edge? I'm going to order a couple of cans to try some bits.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
45 Posts
From memory Fonzie covers dipping without a trim line (for logo application, or in this case the inside of the skirts) in one of his 'FAQ' videos. On mobile now, but might have a look for it later tonight when home.

Loevess - (I see you are in WA) here is a link to plastidip Australian distributor to get an idea of colour range:

Www.plastidip.net.au

Better still, it is stocked at Autobarn. Alternatively, there are a few sellers on eBay.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
aguycalleddb said:
You could run a line of very fine masking tape to create a cut edge? I'm going to order a couple of cans to try some bits.





Not sure that would work, as when you go to pull the masking tape, the plastidip will all pull away in one piece, which is why you need the break-line. Not sure if that makes sense............try it out as you say, and let me know how you get on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,175 Posts
i was thinking of using 1mm pin striping tape to make a break line
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
aguycalleddb said:
i was thinking of using 1mm pin striping tape to make a break line





Dan, try it and let us know how you get on; I think you'll still have trouble removing exactly along the break line that you make with the tape, as the plastidip will stretch and tear......i.e. tear, and not necessarily along the break line you made. I could be wrong.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,175 Posts
I'll give it a go as soon as im back from my trip
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
297 Posts
Thanks for the info damedi!

Yeah dan, keep us updated, keen to see the result..
 
1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Top