Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Not sure how long this has been going for - only noticed whilst de-icing car the other day - horrible metallic noise, most prominent by passenegr wheel arch. Sounds like something is catching whilst rotating - short video clip here

(Video now on YouTube, with sound!)

Anyone else noticed anything like this?

Have contacted local dealer - soonest 'call in and wait' appointment is 10th feb - only problem is, noise fades when engine is warm, so doubt they will be able to diagnose... i've made them aware I have video, but they are not interested (first experience with Mercedes service department!). Shouls I wait for this or press the help button in the car?

Car is 3 months old with 3,200 miles.

Any thoughts appreciated - thanks.

·
Super Moderator
3,529 Posts
I would press the help button. I haven't heard that on my car, it's probably nothing but I would be wary until I knew what it was. By pressing the help button or getting a call out at least someone will come to your house and hear it while it's cold.

By the way what's the sound like with the bonnet up.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, think I’ll try that...

I’ll get another video with the bonnet up

·
Registered
172 Posts
Funny enough ours has starring making the same sort of sound when cold,and just like yours it can be heard from the passenger wheel arch,sounds like a right bag of spanners when cold.

I have a similar sound with my Mitsubishi Evo,I believe it is the something to do with the gearbox,so maybe it is the same for the A45s,which would make sense as the gearbox is closest to the passenger arch.

·
Super Moderator
3,529 Posts
There was this thread on the A35 part of the site but no comments on how it was resolved. Could be worth dropping a comment in on it Squeaking noise after start-up

·
Registered
31 Posts
I haven't driven mine for weeks and weeks, but I moved it the other day when I was washing one of my other cars and I noticed it made a 'funny' noise--I think it was similar to yours.

Mine is a year old this month and has done less than 2k miles.....

Chris.

·
Registered
CLA 45S
191 Posts
Mine makes exactly the same noise from the same place! No idea what the cause is or whether it's a problem.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Same noise here...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Does it happen only with cold start? Settles after 5 or so mins?
Sounds like a forged assembly thats cold.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Although I dont have an A45 (A180 sport), I had the same noise in the same location after 6 months ownership. Like you, only on a cold start and once the engine had heated up, noise dissappeared. 1st visit to Mercedes and they couldnt locate noise (as they ran the engine until warm before investigating). 2nd time diagnosed a faulty belt tensioner which (after a wait of 2 months due to parts and covid restrictions) was replaced and no noise since.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I’m booked in for diagnostic on 11th feb, although I know they won’t be able to hear it, as engine will be warm by then... but at least I will be able to show them video - I asked if I could email video to dealer but they weren’t interested...

Will update after visit - cheers for comments guys, reassuring it’s not just me, even if it does sound like a diesel!

·
Super Moderator
3,529 Posts
I think @Watp above may have hit the nail on the head. I would go armed with that information for the garage to consider when they are looking.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I’m booked in for diagnostic on 11th feb, although I know they won’t be able to hear it, as engine will be warm by then... but at least I will be able to show them video - I asked if I could email video to dealer but they weren’t interested...

Will update after visit - cheers for comments guys, reassuring it’s not just me, even if it does sound like a diesel!
I had the same anxiety. I asked to drop the vehicle off the night before the appointment to ensure it was cold on startup. (Also nudge them about the tensioner fault).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts