Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
A180 AMG Line Premium Plus Auto with Distronic (the one bit I wanted!)
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have used TomTom for about 15yrs and always for it reliable. Oddly, my Mercedes Nav system often takes me on totally pointless detours, not caused by traffic or any other reason i can see. The other day I approached a T-junction knowing I needed to go right. I was instructed to turn left.......and then do a U-turn. On another road I use regularly it tries to send me on a three mile dtour around the back doubles to join a road which I will reach in front of me in 1/2mile. Tomtom works so much better and has speed camera warnings!
Anyone else having odd directions given? An the map is up to date.

·
Super Moderator
2,193 Posts
Try using What3Words to see if that improves things.

Previous posts:

·
Super Moderator
1,525 Posts
I only use what-3-words. Couldn’t recommend it more highly. Its an app everybody should have, especially if in the middle of nowhere or trying to find some hard to get places. Accurate to within 3x3 metres.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I only use what-3-words. Couldn’t recommend it more highly. Its an app everybody should have, especially if in the middle of nowhere or trying to find some hard to get places. Accurate to within 3x3 metres.
Try using What3Words to see if that improves things.
It knows where it is due to finish up, not how to get there.

I have used the three-word code in the past putting it into the mercedes app and letting the car pick it up. What is odd that for some reason where I live is not recognised as a road (although Tomtom maps have known about it for years.). I have tried stting the three-words as homw but it still won't get there.

But as I said, these routing errors are not to do with endpoint just odd route choices to get there.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
@GraemeW I have also noticed some weirdness with the MBUX route calculation. It seems fine 99% of the time, but on the occassion the route chosen doesn't seem to make sense. And I've also experienced the satnav asking me to leave a dual carriageway at the next junction, only to immediately ask me to rejoin again at the same junction.

·
Registered
A200d Prem+ DAP
80 Posts
I also use wtw (and it’s great) but this doesn’t have any inbuilt navigation does it? I thought it just sends the destination to your preferred navigation app and that then calculates the route?
I also thought that Mercedes have a licence agreement with Tomtom. Doesn’t this mean that the MBUX navigation engine is actually a version of Tomtom? Or is the licence just for the Live traffic service?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I also use wtw (and it’s great) but this doesn’t have any inbuilt navigation does it? I thought it just sends the destination to your preferred navigation app and that then calculates the route?
I also thought that Mercedes have a licence agreement with Tomtom. Doesn’t this mean that the MBUX navigation engine is actually a version of Tomtom? Or is the licence just for the Live traffic service?
In all the years I have had TomTom I have never known it's navigation to be as bad as Mercedes so I would imagine the licence is for the live traffic service. I would use Apple Carplay but I am concerned that the Merc navigation has involvement in providing route data in other ways like speed limits and for slowing down at roundabouts.

·
Super Moderator
2,193 Posts
What is odd that for some reason where I live is not recognised as a road (although Tomtom maps have known about it for years.). I have tried stting the three-words as homw but it still won't get there.
The mapping in the UK for the W177 is provided by HERE (ex-Nokia) - and you can report any inaccuracies on their feedback page:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Haha this is really funny! Unlike the surrounding roads, my road (been here 25yrs) shows no house numbers and there are about 40 houses. Tried to report it but it request my address which it rejects.....because it doesn't recognise any house numbers!

·
Super Moderator
2,193 Posts
Haha this is really funny! Unlike the surrounding roads, my road (been here 25yrs) shows no house numbers and there are about 40 houses. Tried to report it but it request my address which it rejects.....because it doesn't recognise any house numbers!
😂 😂

You can do a "Road is Missing" by putting a red box on a map though, and submit without registering?

And attach photos as proof! I've done a couple this way, and they have been updated.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts