Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all ,
Okay so picked up my car from the dealers as it was in for the famous A35 rattle concerto which I’m not sure they have fixed . However to my surprise on Mercedes health check they have made me aware that the disc front and rear are on a amber or advisory. Now I’m no Miss daisy but I’ve only done 9000 miles . I ask Mercedes what thickness the disc are at point of manufacture which they replied 32mm front 22mm rear (this sounds wrong but feel free to correct me ) I then ask what point are mine at they replied 31mm F 21mm rear . Finally I asked when do you need to replace they said 30mm F and 20 R . That’s 2mm of disc does anyone know if this right ?. Also I’m not Overly impressed at the how long the discs seem to last as I’m looking at 18000 miles in total before replacement. I have a friend that drives his S4 like he stole it and hasn’t even been advised that his brake disc need changing . Welcome your thoughts and expertise.

·
Registered
A35 AMG
7 Posts
Have you seen the price per disc? We were discussing this today in the A35 whatsapp group chat 😂. £240

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep thought I’d ask but I’m not surprised at the price there F&£king monsters on the front!

·
Registered
74 Posts
9000 miles? I'd expect tyres to last longer than that! (Although saying that my fronts are going to need changing soon after only 6K which seems very poor). I suppose by the wear figures you were given you've still got another 9K left in your disks, though.
However, we also have a Golf R which is a very similar spec car to the A35. That's done 65K and we haven't yet changed the disks. The RS4 we had before needed fronts at about 40K IIRC and that would have been putting way more stress through the front disks than an A35 I'd have thought. I've had a lot of Porsches over the years and none of them have needed front disks before 40K either.
Could it be in part down to the fact the A35 has a DCT? All the other cars mentioned above were all manuals so perhaps with the automatic A35 there's little if any engine braking meaning the brakes are used far more. I don't know, but changing brake disks every 18K miles on a "daily" use car seems very excessive.

·
Registered
A35 AMG
7 Posts
It's a matter of time before aftermarket discs appear for the A35. Brakes international will end up stocking some soon i think. The A45 W176 350mm discs are £89 but are the wrong width sadly

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
9000 miles? I'd expect tyres to last longer than that! (Although saying that my fronts are going to need changing soon after only 6K which seems very poor). I suppose by the wear figures you were given you've still got another 9K left in your disks, though.
However, we also have a Golf R which is a very similar spec car to the A35. That's done 65K and we haven't yet changed the disks. The RS4 we had before needed fronts at about 40K IIRC and that would have been putting way more stress through the front disks than an A35 I'd have thought. I've had a lot of Porsches over the years and none of them have needed front disks before 40K either.
Could it be in part down to the fact the A35 has a DCT? All the other cars mentioned above were all manuals so perhaps with the automatic A35 there's little if any engine braking meaning the brakes are used far more. I don't know, but changing brake disks every 18K miles on a "daily" use car seems very excessive.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for your reply
6k wow that’s not good and like you said you’re Golf R is pretty much the same spec and has done 65 k without changing the discs . I seriously thinking about selling mine it’s a Joke !!!! Anyone interested in a Red Premium +Aero pack A35 ?

·
Registered
7 Posts
my pads went after 9k and they tried to tell me i warped my brakes i dont race around often and it seems alot of ppl are having problems with these brakes I suspect its a manufacturer fault

·
Registered
7 Posts
I tried to argue it but in the end I couldn’t be bothered but there’s DEFINITELY an issue because i had to wait nearly a fortnight for them as they were none in stock UK wide but i did pressure them into giving me a courtesy that whole time and ragged it about

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not that they should have gone so quickly at 9k but did they mention the disc or try to get you to change them as well at the same time ?

·
Registered
55 Posts
the brakes on the A35 have issues and I am in an ongoing argument with Mercedes over this, my original set warped in the first 1500 miles and as I got one of the first batch I had a 3 month wait for new front brakes by which stage at 6000 miles I was on metal on metal. They replaced that set under warranty however now on my second set so far ive got 7000 miles out of them and the disc's are making strange rubbing sounds under light braking and vibrate at speed, I am currently arguing for a second warranty replacement. I don't know if you have adaptive cruise control but i do and I use it alot for motorway miles etc and i suspect this could be causing my disc's to overheat and burn as it feels like the car constantly uses the brakes to slow down and at some stages feels like power is still applied. The discs have visable black burn marks around the tops of the disc almost like the pad is only gripping the top 30% of the disc not the full width evenly, oh and I believe the quote was around £700 for new front disc's and pads which I am currently refusing to pay and just murdering the set that is still on there until they fail completely or Mercedes pick up the bill for me.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
the brakes on the A35 have issues and I am in an ongoing argument with Mercedes over this, my original set warped in the first 1500 miles and as I got one of the first batch I had a 3 month wait for new front brakes by which stage at 6000 miles I was on metal on metal. They replaced that set under warranty however now on my second set so far ive got 7000 miles out of them and the disc's are making strange rubbing sounds under light braking and vibrate at speed, I am currently arguing for a second warranty replacement. I don't know if you have adaptive cruise control but i do and I use it alot for motorway miles etc and i suspect this could be causing my disc's to overheat and burn as it feels like the car constantly uses the brakes to slow down and at some stages feels like power is still applied. The discs have visable black burn marks around the tops of the disc almost like the pad is only gripping the top 30% of the disc not the full width evenly, oh and I believe the quote was around £700 for new front disc's and pads which I am currently refusing to pay and just murdering the set that is still on there until they fail completely or Mercedes pick up the bill for me.
Hi thanks for your reply.
I don’t have adaptive cruise but I guess this could be helping the diminishing of the discs and pads , I always try to turn of the lane assist also as this has an effect I think . There’s also the possibility that the brakes are applied we you let your foot of the accelerator to implement the charge feature that’s on cars these days . However that said there are so many performance cars out there that go for up to 40-50 thousand miles before any issues, there is definitely something wrong with the brakes on these cars !!!!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Just another problem that is adding to the long and growing list of issues with these damp cars. My VW Golf GTI, prior to my A35, was fantastic in every regard and had no reliability issues. I'm appalled at what Mercedes are currently selling as new cars.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I agree what can we do ... any suggestions? Have you had any issues with brake pads /discs ?

·
Registered
74 Posts
I havent so far, but what I used to do on all of my previous automatic cars, was to put the car into neutral as much as possible, when just waiting in traffic. This was a lot easier with a normal stick shifter, so will be much more difficult on the merc though, due to the stalk type shifter. You would have thought that they would have factored this issue into their development of the cars braking system. Usually, warping of discs occurs because of high heat cycling on the metal compound. I do use the brake hold function, which I hope will use a more even and possibly lighter application of brake force than my holding the pedal down.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts