Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, first post here, but having test drove an A-Class yesterday, I can safely say, I can't wait to put my order in.

I have pretty much decided on the trim level and all optional extras, but need a bit of advice.

I'm going for an AMG Sport + Night package, but I'm stuck on the engine choice.

I drove an A220 auto, and loved it, but I was set on an A180 Auto. I was also considering an A200 manual, but after driving the Auto, I'm not sure if it would be worth losing out on for not a great deal of power.

Your opinion are appreciated!! looking forward to placing the order!

·
Registered
352 Posts
Get the mirror pacakage as well - money well spent as the mirrors fold when you lock the car and the rearview and mirrors dim when light hits them from behind

If you want sporty then a manual is the one to go for ?

I've gone for the 200 petrol manualEdited by: TerryA213

·
Registered
626 Posts
Welcome to the forum Danny

I have an A220 but when I drove a manual A180 recently when mine went back to the dealers, I was very impressed. It was nippy and economical but obviously it was lacking much overtaking urge. I'd say go for the A200 and choose manual not auto. You'll get the best from the engine with the manual and its cheaper!
Edited by: mon2s

·
Registered
67 Posts
Renault or Mercedes Engine...

I drive an A180 CDI SEand it's fine for day-to-day, I'd go for the 200 as you have more options that are not available tothe 180 and whilst the 180 offers acceptable performance, long termI'm sure, like I do, you'llbe scereaming "I Need Moaare Powerrr" when you overtake.

Outstanding MPG in the A180 CDI, cheaper tax, no congestion charge (if registered) but lower power/torque than the 200.

I've also driven the A180 petrol, it had more urge and the MPG was good, but it was not torquey, so I needed to play with the manual gearbox a lot to keep it working. I'd take the auto over the manual on any day (In my opinion, Merc make awful manuals- terrible synchro).

So, Auto and anything >180.

Hope it helps

Edited by: IAMG

·
Registered
205 Posts
Depends what you want out of it. I don't do much motorway or long distance driving and at the end of the day, there are speed limits in place so the A180 petrol is perfect for me. More torque and BHP than my old car, which was no slouch.

If you want a more fun/sporty driving experience, than go for manual. If you want leisurely driving, go auto.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have the A220 auto and can't see passed it. Think of the resale value as well, merc will pay more for an auto in a few years than they will for a manual, that's talking from a costly experience.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I bought the A180 CDI Sport Auto and find even in economy mode, it performs better than the Renault Megane Coupe it has replaced . . .

·
Registered
10 Posts
Mine is a A180 CDI Sport Auto, not an AMG April08. Pennies couldn't stretch to an AMG this time around, but next time, it'll be top of the list!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts