Mercedes A-Class Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone else here had gotten their new pride and joy detailed and paint protected when new? Obviously the dealer offered the service when I ordered the car and I've had a quick look round at the independent alternatives but I want to know whether it is in fact worth the money getting it done?

·
Registered
38 Posts
I must have been a salesmans dream i added the external paint protection inside guardX and alloys/tyre insurance just in case dont think it was that bad price wise if you had all of them you get a package price but cannot think how much it was , rather than saying was it worth the money i look at it as its a bit of peace of mind because its not that you can see what youve paid for cheers Ian

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
I got mine done by a local detailer, used the same company for years and its a fifth of the price from the dealer for the same product.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Dan, I'll bear that in mind... I'm pretty sure I'll be taking the GAP insurance at the very least :)

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Check your insurance, mine contains gap-like insurance for two years in the premium!

·
Registered
629 Posts
I don't believe an MB dealer would offer the same service as a stand alone detailer. Would they really clay bar the car before applying the Star Guard?
Personally I would go the local detailer route but maybe I'm wrong

·
Registered
34 Posts
I used a local detailer who did a new car protection detail using zaino. Really pleased with the results and the company give brilliant service. Not sure if I can name them here (i'm new here and not read posting rules yet). After my recent experience with the dealership and my paintwork I wouldn't let the dealership anywhere near the car if I could help it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've ended up booking mine into one of the Gtechniq detailers as advertised on this site... Getting the full body, wheels and interior done over two days this weekend. The chap offered me a good price for it too considering what the headline price for that should have been. I decided to get it done as red seems to be one of those colours that fades, there is a red Clio across the street that is a few years old and next to mine it looks a bit more pink than red, I don't really want mine going the same way :)

·
Registered
318 Posts
Hi iopean

I got an Autoglmlife-shinewhen it was 2 weeks old. Mate has a valetting business so got mates rates
I did post a pic in another thread but I can't remember which one

·
Registered
34 Posts
Dan said:
If you've received good service from someone I don't mind if you post their details.
I used Gareth & Nathan at detailmyride near Balsall Common and would definately recommend them if your in the midlands. The car looked stunning when I picked it up and he went through all the products & how to use them to keep it looking good (and he wasn't selling me anything at this point). They even corrected some damage done by the dealer and the difference was like light and day.

If you look on detailingworld you should be able to find someone near you. Prices depend upon products used and vehicle size but it will be a lot less than Mercedes and they spend all day on your car preparing it properly before applying the treatment.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So I had my car properly detailed by a GTechniq guy and I collected the car today. One point of interest is that apparently the paint has been left very thin over the drivers side door. He said that a machine polisher had obviously been used on the car prior to my collect it and whereas the paint thickness on most of the car is around 120microns on the drivers side it is down to 97 microns. This means very little to me of course... the paint looks good from what I can see but my question to those who know is: Is this worth bringing up with Mercedes, considering that I will have a paint and finish warranty with them as standard on the car is it really worth bothering with?

·
Registered
352 Posts
I would raise it with MB - the paint thickness number is found using a meter and MB will be able to verify - it should all be the same and therefore it would appear that the area has had a knock / scratch and has been worked on to mask - get it done early or they may say that you cannot prove it's down to you ??

·
Registered
34 Posts
I would call Mercedes customer service just to be on the safe side and go on record to cover any potential issues in the future. I have had quite a bit of contact with them recently due to the dealer "modifying" my paintwork prior to be taking delivery and can only say I have been impressed with their customer service.

There shouldn't be any problems with the paint itself as there is still a resonable
thickness. If you think about what it's there for - to prevent corrosion and look nice, then it is still doing that job so it shouldn't be a problem.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts