Mercedes A-Class Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, new member... so go easy with me ;-)

So, on order I have:

A180 AMG Sport, Mountain Grey, Harmon Kardon Sound | Map Pilot | Privacy | Command | 6CD

Ordered at the end of February and I'm being told my build / delivery / dispatch date is 19th July 2013 - seems lengthy to me having seen some other posts with super speedy delivery dates?! So excited to be getting it and July can't come soon enough... the chaps at the local MB dealership are getting a tad annoyed at me dropping in regurlarly just to sit in the showroom vehicle =)

Couple of questions for my fellow forum friends:

1) Worried that choosing the A180 (1.5d) is the wrong move? Can anyone help allay my fearsthat this will be underpowered! Last 2 cars: Currently in a BMW 320d M Sport and previously to that, a Honda Civic Type S 2.2d. Obviously I'm aware that I'm going from 2L+ down to a 1.5L but this was primarily company car related, in that we're all being encouraged to go green (£1000 incentive for staying below 100mg Co2!) and that with fuel prices so high and the company fuel expences limit barely seeing me break even, the 1.5 mowta seemed the logical choice all round... all the better it's comes wrapped in AMG finery, i'm just a tad sceptical about performace - I do some pretty hefty miles up and down the country. My wife has a spanking new Nissan Qashqai which I believe carries the exact same 1.5L Renault lump up front. Now, this is heaver, taller (child friendly in our case!) car and although the engine is OK at motorway speeds, lower speeds often feel lumpy. Any advise from fellow 1.5ers would be greatly appreciated!

2) Couldn't afford the Pano roof upgrade... am I missing out? Any other options that folks out there feel area must do? As you'll no doubt guess, interactivity and a passion for music saw my cash get sunk into the Harmon Kardon upgrade which triggered a couple of other essential upgrades that you have to take before you are 'allowed' to have the HK sound. Whileon the subject, anyone else out there got the HK Sound upgrade - thoughts?

Think that's it for now... any thoughts welcome or tips, equally so.

I'm going to enjoy spending time on the forum... just need a car to show off now ;-)

Until next time...

Russ

·
Registered
26 Posts
Harmon Kardon ..Nice

Welcome Russ :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Welcome Russ

The waiting is pretty tough!

If you can't stretch for the pano - you can't stretch for the pano..the line must be drawn somewhere!!

·
Registered
629 Posts
Hi Russ - welcome

Ref the A180CDi - Mine is the A220CDi and when it went into MB this week, they lent me an A180CDi which I was prepared to be disgusted by!! I have to say I was impressed - its no A220 but it was perky and plenty nippy enough. It got up to speed on the motorway fine and I could live with it easily day to day.

I was amazed at its economy - on the short 11 mile run back home partly along motorway in rush hour so only traveling at about 60 ish, with a bit of stop start thrown in, it did 74mpg!! Next morning on the five mile dreaded commute into Birmingham it did 55mpg.

I think you've made a good choice. I'm VERY envious of your HK option. The pano is a big one to miss though - personally I'd keep HK which means keeping the 6CD changer bizarrely. Ditch the COMAND to save on that option instead. Then buy a Becker map Pilot unit so you've still got sat nav. Don't buy that from MB though - I paid £495 for it yet its plug and play and can be bought from ebay or Amazon for half that.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
629 Posts
You could even drop the privacy glass and up it to the Night Pack with the £ you have 'in the bank' from dropping COMAND. Just a thought!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Russel Sprout said:
Hi All, new member... so go easy with me ;-)

So, on order I have:

A180 AMG Sport, Mountain Grey, Harmon Kardon Sound | Map Pilot | Privacy | Command | 6CD

Ordered at the end of February and I'm being told my build / delivery / dispatch date is 19th July 2013 - seems lengthy to me having seen some other posts with super speedy delivery dates?! So excited to be getting it and July can't come soon enough... the chaps at the local MB dealership are getting a tad annoyed at me dropping in regurlarly just to sit in the showroom vehicle =)

Couple of questions for my fellow forum friends:

1) Worried that choosing the A180 (1.5d) is the wrong move? Can anyone help allay my fears that this will be underpowered! Last 2 cars: Currently in a BMW 320d M Sport and previously to that, a Honda Civic Type S 2.2d. Obviously I'm aware that I'm going from 2L+ down to a 1.5L but this was primarily company car related, in that we're all being encouraged to go green (£1000 incentive for staying below 100mg Co2!) and that with fuel prices so high and the company fuel expences limit barely seeing me break even, the 1.5 mowta seemed the logical choice all round... all the better it's comes wrapped in AMG finery, i'm just a tad sceptical about performace - I do some pretty hefty miles up and down the country. My wife has a spanking new Nissan Qashqai which I believe carries the exact same 1.5L Renault lump up front. Now, this is heaver, taller (child friendly in our case!) car and although the engine is OK at motorway speeds, lower speeds often feel lumpy. Any advise from fellow 1.5ers would be greatly appreciated!

2) Couldn't afford the Pano roof upgrade... am I missing out? Any other options that folks out there feel are a must do? As you'll no doubt guess, interactivity and a passion for music saw my cash get sunk into the Harmon Kardon upgrade which triggered a couple of other essential upgrades that you have to take before you are 'allowed' to have the HK sound. While on the subject, anyone else out there got the HK Sound upgrade - thoughts?

Think that's it for now... any thoughts welcome or tips, equally so.

I'm going to enjoy spending time on the forum... just need a car to show off now ;-)

Until next time...

Russ 
Hi russ

Re the dates , ordered mine On the 12 march and I've been given delivery of 28 June ,early July to me I been told all depends on the dealers allocation ,if its a bib company may have more build slots than a small dealer

And the pano roof, I deleted 2 options so I could spec it and I'm glad I did ,not had a glass roof for a long time and I can't wait

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have the 1,5 Renault engine, and I'm satisfied. No racer, but it do the job well enough. You can overtake without big problems, and the fuel consumption is very nice. Main problem for me is that the diesel tank is to small, only 40 liters.

Pro's: Low consumption, only 109 bhp but feels like it was 130, top speed: 190 (i've tried),
Con's: Crappy diesel sound, small diesel tank.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Hi all,

Just signed up, put my order in 2 weeks ago I am being told beginning of October for Delivery though :(

I really am hoping that this will happen faster, although the 5 vehicles that are available in the UK at the moment do not match my spec. So i think i have to wait for one to be built.... any idea how long this takes?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Ive got the same model & spec apart from KH & command, MB reduced mine to 23K from 26K because the cocked up my order from a sport amg to sport! took them a week to find me a replacement, this 1 came with night package, pilot & heated seats which I'm not sure if it comes with a package, but my original order didn't have any of that initially so i gained in that sense, but in that space of waiting i drove the manual sport & the automatic sport with Night package, i do prefer auto in sport mode, nippy for auto! </span>You made a good choice, on the motorway it cruises nicely through the gears, can seem</span>bitsluggish in gears 2 mainly, but its a 1.5 &</span>diesel but i jump gears so i over compensate on gear changes anyway so don't notice it much...

</span>
Pano roof is nice when the weathers nice but just personal preference really, Aclass looks better then all its car manufacturer class,</span>economical by far, desirable by far & AMG body kit! Perfect everyday car in my humbled opinion,

·
Registered
14 Posts
yeah, just pointing out 23 pound is 43.5 aud and 26 pounds is 49 aud at 1.89 exchange, just showing different amounts world over - some might find it of interest

·
Registered
197 Posts
but if you take into account the different taxes and other on road costs, plus the different specs each country gets as 'standard' it becomes irrelevant.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts