Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

1021 - 1040 of 1069 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
I spoke to the local dealership and they tell me they are no longer taking orders for AMG range until new year and think it's down to the emissions target hit. They have cars in the showroom that they cannot sell yet .
I ordered mine end of Sept and still no news on build slot.

·
Super Moderator
3,506 Posts
I spoke to the local dealership and they tell me they are no longer taking orders for AMG range until new year and think it's down to the emissions target hit. They have cars in the showroom that they cannot sell yet .
I ordered mine end of Sept and still no news on build slot.
You would have thought with such a massive global recession that many of the new cars sold would be low emissions hence balancing out the full fat AMG versions. And our A45s' are the least polluting of the full AMGs too.

·
Registered
15 Posts
As far as I'm aware my order is still getting delivered in mid January, I put my order in on October 12th. I have pushed my collection to March 1 so I pick up the new 21 plate. I can imagine with the Brexit stuff the actual delivery might be closer to March 1 than mid Jan anyway.

I have an email from the salesman saying that my price that I confirmed at order will be the price I will pay but obviously I ain't taking that as gospel. TBH another £5-6k will seriously have me thinking about walking away.

·
Registered
19 Posts
As we‘re waiting for our orders, I thought I’d mention that I was reading about the new Golf R the other day and it starts a few hundred under £40,000. If you spec it up with the roof, leather seats, all the tech, exhaust and so on it goes up to about £53,000! For a Golf!

So it looks like the the AMG 45S cars are now very good value considering how far a step up they are - not only in terms of performance but also prestige.

I‘m not one to speculate but I suspect most Golf R buyers will only put 1-2 options on it and be happy with that. You don’t even get the top nav system or leather as standard 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
15 Posts
Iridium silver, performance seats, aero, innovation pack so effectively full spec for the Australian market. I didn’t really care for aero or not but this was already built and “on vessel” so took the change to get a brand new vehicle fully spec as fast as possible. The dealer says feb delivery. I just sold my 2018 gold R and cannot wait for this to arrive.

·
Super Moderator
3,506 Posts
And yet I'll keep my Golf R in a heartbeat should they add this import tariff to my order.
Hopefully this won’t happen but can I ask why you wouldn’t consider the S3 which seems to have a lot of availability and also slightly cheaper.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hopefully this won’t happen but can I ask why you wouldn’t consider the S3 which seems to have a lot of availability and also slightly cheaper.
The S3 is more of a side step, interior aside. My Golf is a 67 plate and has only done 11,000 miles so if I'm changing car I want to take that step up in class.

I'll probably delve into the used market for A45s in a year or so if they add the tariffs on however I trust what the sales rep says so we'll see.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Iridium silver, performance seats, aero, innovation pack so effectively full spec for the Australian market. I didn’t really care for aero or not but this was already built and “on vessel” so took the change to get a brand new vehicle fully spec as fast as possible. The dealer says feb delivery. I just sold my 2018 gold R and cannot wait for this to arrive.
Lovely spec - excited for you! It‘ll definitely be a step up over the Golf R. Not many cars tend look their best in silver or white, but I think Mercedes’ cars excel somewhat in those configurations and present a really classy image.

Unfortunately, in the UK we have ‘everything or nothing’ in terms of spec - i.e. regular 45S or 45S with the Plus Pack. I didn’t like the vast wing on the back of the A45S Plus, and so that persuaded me to go for the CLA45S Plus because there’s just no room for manoeuvre with options. But I’m also a fan of saloon/sedan shaped cars so I’m happy with that.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The S3 is more of a side step, interior aside. My Golf is a 67 plate and has only done 11,000 miles so if I'm changing car I want to take that step up in class.

I'll probably delve into the used market for A45s in a year or so if they add the tariffs on however I trust what the sales rep says so we'll see.
Excellent point - and I think current owners of both the S3 and Golf R will be of the opinion that the Golf is too much money for a very similar car and the S3 is exactly the same again with but with a better interior.

And in light of the pricing of the new R and effect of Brexit, I think the next RS3 will probably be north of £55k for the basic spec and pushing £65-70k for the fully-loaded Vorsprung trim level. The exact margin will depend on deal/no deal, of course.

And on the point of tariffs, I think retailers will possibly have to take the hit because a few grand here and there isn’t that much when you consider the incentives they’re given for meeting vehicle sales targets. But on the other hand, they might not suffer order cancellations if they don’t because of what VW group is doing. So there might be quite a level playing field even with the tariffs. But even then you have to balance that argument with the effect that COVID-19 has had on sales.

I don’t know. Let‘s just see and hope for the best!

·
Registered
47 Posts

If my price goes up anymore then I will be unhappy and probably not sure if I will go ahead tbh.

·
Super Moderator
3,506 Posts
If my price goes up anymore then I will be unhappy and probably not sure if I will go ahead tbh.
When we had this during the last round of brinkmanship from the man with no comb my dealer said if there was a tariff imposed I would have the opportunity to cancel and get my deposit back. Either way we should know I think by end of this week. And as I say I think it will be a deal.

It was because of this situation I didn't get rid of my A45 until the new year. Which is similar to you with your Golf R. Fingers crossed it works out.

Reactions: wizard

·
Registered
47 Posts
When we had this during the last round of brinkmanship from the man with no comb my dealer said if there was a tariff imposed I would have the opportunity to cancel and get my deposit back. Either way we should know I think by end of this week. And as I say I think it will be a deal.

It was because of this situation I didn't get rid of my A45 until the new year. Which is similar to you with your Golf R. Fingers crossed it works out.
I had a focus RS which I sold privately. Currently driving a 56 plate fiesta 🙄 until the new car comes *saving up

·
Registered
19 Posts
I think this emissions target issue might be what’s delaying our build slots. The dealers may not be allowed to even put it through the system until the new year.

I was offered a CLA recently for £58495 in polar white but they’re not allowed to register or deliver it until January. No use to me because I went with the matte grey and want the DAP too because I feel it’ll be advantageous at resale time considering this new tech-reliant world we live in

But yes I think that says it all.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Perhaps in the UK, there is an unclear frame about the imports, because of Brexit? So, this might be the reason that many manufacturers are holding the orders? In Greece deliveries remain as is so far, without any problems.

·
Super Moderator
3,506 Posts
Perhaps in the UK, there is an unclear frame about the imports, because of Brexit? So, this might be the reason that many manufacturers are holding the orders? In Greece deliveries remain as is so far, without any problems.
Yes I agree. I think this is also why we have packs only from MB rather than individual options, so that they can more readily decide any new tariff based pricing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
After lurking this thread for a while, I finally got some good news today I thought I’d share for anyone else in the dark.

I ordered my CLA45s (non-plus) on August 5th. I was given a provisional estimated delivery date of November 30th. That came and went, was then told December, and then January. Then last week was told January was looking unlikely. Threatened to pull out and request my deposit back, also rang MB UK customer services to try and shake things up. Claimed they were having a difficult time getting a build slot.

Finally today I’ve found out they’ve managed to secure a build allocation and delivery will be... 24th March. So provided no more delays, I’ll have waited almost 8 months. Better be worth it!

·
Registered
CLA 45S
187 Posts
Deliveries on anything but EVs and hybrids is proving a problem at the moment it seems. You won't be able to lean on the dealer much because of the demand for these cars. Someone would take your build slot in a heartbeat if you dropped out.

It'll be worth the wait! Hopefully they don't change the spec again in the meantime

·
Super Moderator
3,506 Posts
After lurking this thread for a while, I finally got some good news today I thought I’d share for anyone else in the dark.

I ordered my CLA45s (non-plus) on August 5th. I was given a provisional estimated delivery date of November 30th. That came and went, was then told December, and then January. Then last week was told January was looking unlikely. Threatened to pull out and request my deposit back, also rang MB UK customer services to try and shake things up. Claimed they were having a difficult time getting a build slot.

Finally today I’ve found out they’ve managed to secure a build allocation and delivery will be... 24th March. So provided no more delays, I’ll have waited almost 8 months. Better be worth it!

Welcome to the forum.

I am fairly sure the March build slot will happen barring further stricter lockdowns measures. I know there is a similar situation in Germany to Tier 4 in the UK, but manufacturing should be continuing. In fact the date may come forward. The hold ups, as you will seen from this thread, have been because MB need to get below their emissions target and brexit tariff uncertainty, up until now.

I haven't heard that EU buyers are being impacted as badly as UK buyers by the emissions targets. It would be good to hear from our continental friends about their buying experiences.

1021 - 1040 of 1069 Posts