Mercedes A-Class Forum banner
1401 - 1420 of 1449 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Did you drive through a downpour? My Pre-safe and other systems stopped working in really heavy rain. The rain stopped, I cleaned the cameras and everything was working fine again, or at least no pre-safe not working warning sign.
Not a downpour but I went to a alpine resort. It was snowing and temperature was quite low. I do remember the adaptive headlights also stopped working for a few minutes and also 360 cameras took longer then usual to activate. But all good once the car it's off the mountain and getting warm.

·
Registered
A45S, BMW X7 M50i
58 Posts
Ok, an update. Have now put 1500kms (1000-ish miles) on the car and gave it a good flogging today, using Race Mode for the first time and doing around 3 launches back to back.

The car certainly comes alive in Race Mode, with lower gearing ratios making the RPMs very high! I hadn't even really been aware that there is a difference between Sport+ and Race, but there is. I even hit the redline a couple of times. Launch mode was really impressive with a super quick transition between 1 and 3rd gears. I haven't timed it yet, but will get the Dragy out next week.

Not only are the gear ratios in Race much more aggressive, but it seems to make a lot more pops and bangs and general racket including a lovely machine gun series of pops on deceleration after rapid acceleration around 100kph and I want to say around 4k rpm? Also the odd nice pop and bang here and there around 3200 rpm. To be honest though, I would like things a little louder as it all feels rather remote!

Not sure how much of this noise in Race is just in the cabin versus the real world. I attempted to open the windows and sunroof to determine this, but wind noise gets in the way of being able to tell.

The car is obviously making some noise however, as I did manage to scare a horse and rider which made me feel rather badly, as I have been in their exact situation before, trying to manage a spooked horse. Horse and rider were ok (it didn't bolt or even rear) and I went by in Comfort mode and at a much chastened low speed once I had seen them.

No real gripes with the car so far, but a couple of quibbles -

The cruise control is a little bananas and not nearly as good as my previous Audi system. Put simply it likes to disable itself in motorway scenarios. This has happened several times now, to the point that I don't trust it. This is bizarre to me as I thought that cruise was a pretty mature technology.

I think that at times the system is detecting potential "undertaking" and disabling itself. Was passed by a truck in a tunnel and my cruise disengaged and the car started decelerating, was this to prevent undertaking from the left lane? Unlike the UK undertaking is perfectly legal in Australia. Annoying as f*&k.

Also got a "hold the wheel" alert once using cruise whilst I was firmly holding the wheel. Glitchy and weird.

Another quibble is that it's a PIA to disable active steering when using cruise. You have to go through a series of soft menus (Quick access) to do it. In my BMW there's a mode button right on the wheel that toggles automated steering on or off.

Also, sorry but the Burgmeister sound system (I have the top-spec one) can't hold a candle to my previous Audi B&O system. Not even close. It almost sounds tinny. I feel like Mercedes has cheaped out here, to be honest...

Other than that can't complain - the car is an absolute weapon. I also love its free-revving nature which is new to me coming from the EA888 platform (Audi S3). Not many Kms from the tune now.

Will keep you all posted.

·
Super Moderator
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,403 ·
Lovely honest review 👍 thank you for taking the time.

·
Super Moderator
4,482 Posts
Not only are the gear ratios in Race much more aggressive, but it seems to make a lot more pops and bangs and general racket including a lovely machine gun series of pops on deceleration after rapid acceleration
Good write up.

That machine gun exhaust note is a real eye opener, when I finished running the car in and floored the throttle even in C. I didn't realise that great sound was lurking just a few hundred revs beyond 4.5K rpm.

·
Super Moderator
4,482 Posts
The cruise control is a little bananas and not nearly as good as my previous Audi system. Put simply it likes to disable itself in motorway scenarios.
On your cruise control point the previous A45 used to only work in C and I've only used it in C on the A45s and it's never disengaged without by braking. Did you use the CC in other than C mode?

·
Registered
A45S, BMW X7 M50i
58 Posts
On your cruise control point the previous A45 used to only work in C and I've only used it in C on the A45s and it's never disengaged without by braking. Did you use the CC in other than C mode?
Interesting. I think it was in Individual in which I have everything in Sport besides the suspension if I recall correctly. I call it Australian rough road mode :D

I will experiment a little more, including cruising in C mode and report back.

·
Super Moderator
4,482 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
The cruise control is a little bananas and not nearly as good as my previous Audi system. Put simply it likes to disable itself in motorway scenarios. This has happened several times now, to the point that I don't trust it. This is bizarre to me as I thought that cruise was a pretty mature technology.

I think that at times the system is detecting potential "undertaking" and disabling itself. Was passed by a truck in a tunnel and my cruise disengaged and the car started decelerating, was this to prevent undertaking from the left lane? Unlike the UK undertaking is perfectly legal in Australia. Annoying as f*&k.

View attachment 8363
the cruise not working properly is because “route based” cruise control is on so when gps plays up it thinks it’s on the wrong road at lower speeds. Just disable route based cruise control and it will behave normally.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Mine is same as yours. Interestingly your foot rest area has metal cover where mine is just carpet. Did you install it or it comes from the factory? :)
I actually purchased it for my wife's old A Class and it turned out it fitted the A45s.As like yours it was just carpet in both the old A Class and A45s and wanted something to provide protection and some extra grip.
Had to import it to the UK from Australia!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Do you guys all follow the break-in instruction strictly? yesterday I accidently rev too high on the highway... (maybe around 6500rpm for a sec). Hope everything all good and won't affect the warranty...

·
Registered
A45S, BMW X7 M50i
58 Posts
Do you guys all follow the break-in instruction strictly? yesterday I accidently rev too high on the highway... (maybe around 6500rpm for a sec). Hope everything all good and won't affect the warranty...
Mate don’t worry about it. I did that heaps. Hit 7k once. Then the annoying pause as the revs take a while to come down and a new gear is found…

Conspiracy theory: I think half of the reason for AMG advice for run-in period is to actually get the new driver acquainted with a high performance car without major incident 😂😂😂

·
Registered
A45S, BMW X7 M50i
58 Posts
the cruise not working properly is because “route based” cruise control is on so when gps plays up it thinks it’s on the wrong road at lower speeds.
@Aussie_a45s you bloody legend!

This makes perfect sense. This happened in Sydney’s Norconnex tunnel and I remember the car had no idea where it was.

Thanks so much!

·
Super Moderator
4,482 Posts
Yes I followed the run in period all the way through, but I certainly wouldn't worry about a rare case of over revving.

·
Super Moderator
4,482 Posts
@Aussie_a45s you bloody legend!

This makes perfect sense. This happened in Sydney’s Norconnex tunnel and I remember the car had no idea where it was.

Thanks so much!
Is this standard in Australia or is the route based cruise control a part of distronic.

·
Super Moderator
4,482 Posts
Thanks for this.

Look at the spec disclaimer on the A-Class configurator page Car Configurator

1401 - 1420 of 1449 Posts