Mercedes A-Class Forum banner
161 - 180 of 217 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi All,

I placed an order for an A35 Saloon in July 2020 and I'm still waiting for the car, is anyone else in this situation or able to shed any light?

·
Registered
W177 A200
93 Posts
What's the feedback from your dealer?
I ordered an A200 in November and I was informed that instead of March 2021, the car will be delivered in June/July because of equipment shortage.

I read an article saying that Mercedes is cutting hours due to chip shortage.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Hi All,

I placed an order for an A35 Saloon in July 2020 and I'm still waiting for the car, is anyone else in this situation or able to shed any light?
It seems crazy to have to wait while there are are a few new and very low mileage ones about or just chose something else 😊

·
Registered
8 Posts
I ordered an A200 in November and I was informed that instead of March 2021, the car will be delivered in June/July because of equipment shortage.

Thanks that's an interesting read

·
Registered
198 Posts

That's very bad... but A-class are manufactured in Hungary's factories and not in Germany. The article said that they will reduce the production in Germany.

·
Registered
W177 A200
93 Posts
That's very bad... but A-class are manufactured in Hungary's factories and not in Germany. The article said that they will reduce the production in Germany.
Rastatt is (or at least was up to some point, don't know if anything has changed recently) one of the compact cars plants. Actually this was the first one.
Besides that, the A-class is also manufactured in Hungary and Finland.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I ordered my A 180d saloon 2.0 diesel automatic, amg line with the night pack on 21 November & the car was delivered to the dealer here in Ireland on the 15 of January, I got it this Tuesday 19 January

·
Registered
W177 A200
93 Posts
I ordered my A 180d saloon 2.0 diesel automatic, amg line with the night pack on 21 November & the car was delivered to the dealer here in Ireland on the 15 of January, I got it this Tuesday 19 January
I placed the deposit 2 days after you... that was fast

·
Registered
28 Posts
Rastatt is (or at least was up to some point, don't know if anything has changed recently) one of the compact cars plants. Actually this was the first one.
Besides that, the A-class is also manufactured in Hungary and Finland.
Just to let you know the a class saloon Is manufactured in Germany , it’s the cla that is manufactured in Hungary & Finland

·
Super Moderator
4,244 Posts
I think so, I have also heard a rumour that all premium plus packs are built in China and they have an issue with production.
Let's not go crazy and throw in conjecture as well as unsubstantiated rumour mongering into the mix as well! :p

A-Class for delivery to Europe (the geographic area) is built in Rastatt, Hungary and Finland.

Some electronic components and assemblies are manufactured in China, but not exclusively so.

The long delays are primarily because of the shortage of semi-conductors, brought about by the first global lockdown (Feb-May 2020) - factories are not up to their usual production capacity because of global supply chain issues, reduced working hours, and high levels of staff sickness, with staff having to isolate due to contact tracing, furloughed etc.

But also - during last year, when there was low demand from the automotive manufacturers for semiconductors, chip manufacturers then diverted their resources to consumer goods (eg Apple, PS5, TV's etc.) because in lockdown these goods were flying off the shelf. Now the auto industry is ramping up again, they haven't switched their capacity fully back to automotive.

Due to JIT, there are no "stocks" of semiconductors/chips lying around. All automotive brands are affected by delays.

It's affecting many industries, IT especially, and there are shortages and delays worldwide in manufacturing.

In the UK/EU, food processing plants are also hit hard, and there are delays getting food supplies around, very high levels of staff sickness/isolations in food processing plants. This is the main reason for sparse supermarket shelves in some areas, not the B word.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Let's not go crazy and throw in conjecture as well as unsubstantiated rumour mongering into the mix as well! :p

A-Class for delivery to Europe (the geographic area) is built in Rastatt, Hungary and Finland.

Some electronic components and assemblies are manufactured in China, but not exclusively so.

The long delays are primarily because of the shortage of semi-conductors, brought about by the first global lockdown (Feb-May 2020) - factories are not up to their usual production capacity because of global supply chain issues, reduced working hours, and high levels of staff sickness, with staff having to isolate due to contact tracing, furloughed etc.

But also - during last year, when there was low demand from the automotive manufacturers for semiconductors, chip manufacturers then diverted their resources to consumer goods (eg Apple, PS5, TV's etc.) because in lockdown these goods were flying off the shelf. Now the auto industry is ramping up again, they haven't switched their capacity fully back to automotive.

Due to JIT, there are no "stocks" of semiconductors/chips lying around. All automotive brands are affected by delays.

It's affecting many industries, IT especially, and there are shortages and delays worldwide in manufacturing.

In the UK/EU, food processing plants are also hit hard, and there are delays getting food supplies around, very high levels of staff sickness/isolations in food processing plants. This is the main reason for sparse supermarket shelves in some areas, not the B word.
Sounds like you have hit the nail on the head, car to arrive 2030 o_O

161 - 180 of 217 Posts