Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HelloI have just bought a A class body shell (s reg) to make in to a trailer, its used to exhibit a product my wife sells at outdoor events
I have no wheels, or bolts so what will fit and how best to buy them I need three.
Thanks

·
Registered
82 Posts
You might be better off trying a trailer forum. I can't imagine there are too many of us here who have done this modification to their A Class.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why not???Its a good use of what was going to be crushed.
Well I am now an expert, well have cut my first one

Edited by: zumo

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Now have a spare six spoke alloy and a set of wheel bolts for a steel wheel is any one needs them?I need some trims to fit
Yes I know its hardly an engineering master piece it was just to shift it about as itsallways in the way, its going to double up as a camping trailer too, so have to sell my old one.

Edited by: zumo

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hi Zumo,

I don't think nuvolablue is saying don't do it or its a bad idea. But maybe you can broaden your search through other forum as well as here.

Wow, that looks like a neat project! By the way, have you had a look at trailer rules, regulations and requirements, before making it road legal? Maybe that other thing to look up, unless you've already done it.

Edited by: Jyu

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did understand his comment, Trailer forums appear to be few and far between.Being an engineer I have built a few standard trailers in the past, but to be honest this is far cheaper with a more useable result.
Total cost up to date is
Back of car £50
Cutting ( Discs and labour ) £25
Two wheels with tyres £40
Puncture repair £5
Still need Struts for read tail gate.
The hitch and box section are free as I have had them for years, just need to find something to fill the hole in now.
I have had a good look at the legalities and as long as the lighting is correct and the two Triangle reflectors, possibly a maximum weight plate it should be fine.
Some info here
http://www.trailerforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=93999
Basically I can prove its well engineered and can keep a set of basic calcs for the loadings etc
What I will check on is I am not manufacturing these, its a on off built for our own use, I will ring VOSA and ask the question though as the last thing I need is a problem with it as it will draw attention

1 - 6 of 6 Posts