Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
The problem for Audi in upping the power of the RS3 is keeping the pecking order of their various RS badged vehicles i.e. not to have the RS5 slower than the RS3. Whereas MB have quite often not been that ridgid about hierarchy.

Reactions: steve_3939

·
Super Moderator
1,521 Posts
Would be like MB making the A35 faster then the 45

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
veeeight you are knowledgeable about most things to do with the A45. Are you not considering changing to the new one. I was wondering if those of us getting the new one are missing something, like the new RS3 or an M2 coming up with x-drive we aren't aware of.

·
Super Moderator
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Haha not at all.

It’s all a matter of timing, my current PCP expires imminently, and having worked in the auto industry for various manufacturers, I have a personal aversion to buying a new model until at least 120 days have elapsed from first deliveries ;)

So, coupled with the timing of my PCP expiry, and knowing I will miss the Driver Assist Pack, which currently isn’t available, plus the 15% discounts available on the A35, my current thinking is to go into an A35 for now, and see what spec/options are available on the A45s come facelift time in 3/4 years :)

Or given the way things are going re climate change, I may well get one of the last new V8 C63’s ??

PS: The interior is the S3/RS3 looks utter gash, if the spy shots are anything to go by ?

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
PS: The interior is the S3/RS3 looks utter gash, if the spy shots are anything to go by ?
True that @veeeight. Whatever happened to Audi's understated but high-quality interiors? Now they seem to be trying to be a poor man's Lamborghini, and failing...

With your forum name, you've got to get a C63S V8 whilst you still can :cool:

Reactions: veeeight

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
I did think about waiting for the FL too as it will I am sure be a hybrid with 50 more horses but my car was over six years old and I just didn't want to start throwing money after every part which started to perish. I might well go fo the FL in any case even if I get a stage 1 on this and then hang on to that one.

The MB V8 sounds excellent and I did consider the E63s estate which was being offered with £17K off list but having owned more than one E Class estate when my kids were young it would be a regression and the saloon's boot is totally useless from experience with the taxi company I use which use mainly E-Classes, you can barely fit two suitcases in it.

I digress. I am now really looking forward to getting the A45s since I did the deed and got rid of my A45.

Reactions: veeeight

·
Super Moderator
1,521 Posts
Haha not at all.

It’s all a matter of timing, my current PCP expires imminently, and having worked in the auto industry for various manufacturers, I won’t personally buy a car until at least 120 days have elapsed from first deliveries ;)

So, coupled with the timing of my PCP expiry, and knowing I will miss the Driver Assist Pack, which currently isn’t available, plus the 15% discounts available on the A35, my current thinking is to go into an A35 for now, and see what spec/options are available on the A45s come facelift time in 3/4 years :)

Or given the way things are going re climate change, I may well get one of the last new V8 C63’s ??

A35? ??

·
Super Moderator
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know, I know. I’ll put a box in or get it mapped, I know I’ll miss the 400+ bhp I’m currently running.

When I test drove one though, there was very little in it below 70mph.... felt more nimble than the W176 A45.

·
Registered
155 Posts
If it wasn't for A45-RS3 rivalry we wouldn't be seeing such improvements, especially in the power department. Competition promotes progress. They both started well under 400 hp and their rivalry has brought them where they are today. I was expecting the new RS3 to get more power than the A45s and it got 444 hp. Next gen A45s or however it will be called, I bet will get like 470 and before we know it, 500+ hp will be standard for these cars.

On the other hand, new RS3 interior looks pretty cheap for the money, it literally looks comparable to cars with half its price or even less.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I've been with Audi the last 12 years but the images so far of the new cars interior and dash look terrible I agree.

The new A Class interior is absolutely stunning IMO and feel premium and high end.
Mercedes surpassed Audi in this department and some.
There have even been comments on the Audi matrerials being lower quality no doubt cost driven.
Yet the Merc interior when I sat in the car felt a significant step up.

Audi used to be class leading for interiors but they appear to have gone very wacky lately and they are not to a lot of peoples taste, which is alienating long term Audi owners like myself who are / have defected to other brands.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Audi’s current design language just feels over designed to my eyes. Their brand used to be associated with clean solid well built luxury, but lately they seem to be all angles, creases and as a result, they look more fragile

Its as if every car has to look like a Transformer

Reactions: Snake Pliskin

·
Registered
174 Posts
Sneak preview of the new A3 platform

From the outside looks like a facelift.
Interior fit & finish looks decent .. but I don't like the dash layout and scattered vent look at all.
The A Class beats Audi's new A3 hands down IMO.

·
Super Moderator
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Lovely, isn't it :oops:
It might look better in the flesh...

There's that infamous stainless steel footrest too! ?

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
That interior looks like it was designed by a Seat designer who aspires to working for Lamborghini. Vents look awful and I don't like the upright centre console around the gear lever

·
Super Moderator
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Maybe it’ll grow on me.
if I squint it looks just like a Lamborghini on the inside

1 - 20 of 38 Posts