Mercedes A-Class Forum banner
61 - 80 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Better and while I suspect that I am not the target market, it's just waaaay too plastic fantastic for me. Gloss too! Double yuck.
Audi will probably offer an external carbon fiber pack as an option for an extra £4-5k o_O

·
Registered
267 Posts
Is it me or it's started ditching its hatch outfit.

From the front it looks like a sporty wagon, such as the RS4 Avant in compact form.
From the rear (your attached pic) it looks like a sporty crossover.

Honestly, the front angle doesn't look bad, it's sporty enough. But if I wanted a wagon, I'd rather choose the real wagon instead.
But that rear is too grown up, it just doesn't fit in.

·
Super Moderator
4,482 Posts
It's priced directly at the A45s. But out of all seriousness I can't bring myself to click that request a call back tab, with the A45s I already have.

·
Registered
2021 AMG A45 S Plus, Sun Yellow
71 Posts
No power bump, still 400 PS, small bump in torque to 500 Nm.

Happy with my A45 S with 424 HP and 505 Nm :)

·
Registered
1,190 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,482 Posts
No power bump, still 400 PS, small bump in torque to 500 Nm.

Happy with my A45 S with 424 HP and 505 Nm :)
Entirely agree. The RS3 is just playing catch up.

Reactions: Theo

·
Registered
267 Posts
Aesthetically, which so far is the only department I can talk about, the only thing I like more than the A45s is its carbon ceramic 380mm disc option, though they could've gone the extra mile of adding an 8 piston caliper. They could've also upgraded the rear brakes with carbon ceramics, but not only did they not, they also kept same old 310's that look tiny compared to the fronts. Audi cheaped out there. As for everything else, including interior, I find the A45s is miles ahead, while performance remains to be seen. I'm sure carwow will arrange a drag race sooner or later.

Power wise, there really isn't much room for the RS3, as it can't be near RS4 territory and as I've already said, I'm glad MB's pecking order isn't that strict. So the best they could've done was just catch up. Impressive they have allegedly pulled that off without a power increase, but let me take this with a grain of salt until that drag race actually takes place.

I also wanna see how it sounds, as it's been rumored it won't sound nearly as good as pre-opf generations. Should still sound better than the A45s, but that also remains to be seen. I don't like judging from things I'm not yet aware of.

Reactions: Forrester

·
Registered
70 Posts
Has the new RS3 gone up in price compared to the old model in the UK?
For us it was 15-20% cheaper than the A45s, but only 3 vs 5 year warranty. The engne/driveline is pretty robust though, its a favourate for modders.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Good enough reason to avoid… Archie is getting one 😹

·
Super Moderator
4,482 Posts
Has the new RS3 gone up in price compared to the old model in the UK?
For us it was 15-20% cheaper than the A45s, but only 3 vs 5 year warranty. The engne/driveline is pretty robust though, its a favourate for modders.
Yes by c.£5K. But then again the A45 to the A45s was quite a spike in price too.

I haven't tracked the price of the RS3 that closely but given the discounts which were around on the S3 I would guess the RS3 will look to undercut the A45s by just enough to take business away by way of discounts. So MB need to raise its performance in the FL A45s.

·
Registered
72 Posts
When I priced a new rs3 vs an A45s the hatchback was similar and the sedan was more. I would assume this new model would be more expensive.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Got my A45s in Dec, at the time a new carbon edition rs3 was $19k cheaper. Couldnt do it as it was a backward step from my previous car despite being considerably cheaper.
Before stock shortages obviously, but generally Audi is minimum 15% off retail.

The new RS3 needs to be $10k cheaper.

·
Registered
267 Posts
  • Too much plastic inside - horrible design.
  • Great front brakes. Can't see the rears.
  • Nice wheels but Y-shape is everywhere these days, not impressed.
  • Looks like an S3 that you got beefed up to play with the big boys.
  • Sedan looks better.
  • Nearly muted, just as I expected. At least you can still tell it's an RS3 if your not looking, next gen you won't be able to.

I'm sorry but it's just way below expectations, for a car that came out two whole years after their fearest competitor. And without a power bump, to top it off. I genuinely don't see any good reason anyone would get this over an A45s, other than the fact it's a 5 cyl, which makes zero difference at this point, looking at tuning potential of both cars (i.e. they make similar power when equally tuned). Even that legendary exhaust sound is just, gone. Not entirely gone but you get what I'm saying, it's why you buy an RS3, pretty much. And I don't think anyone cares about how much better it still sounds than the A45s. Of course it does, it'd be utter garbage if it didn't.

MB won't have to try hard with the FL, in fact they won't have to try at all... and unfortunately that means it probably won't improve much. You need a strong hit to return an even stronger one.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
I think maybe the design has grown on me a bit. The front looks good and distinctive although I’m curious as to the durability and how well that voluminous black plastic grill will maintain its looks over time. What I really don’t like is the fake black plastic grill in the rear bumper which is just awful.

It will also be interesting to see if Audi are significantly understating the power and torque figures. VW did this with the Golf R, so I have a feeling the RS3 might be much faster than the published figures suggest (not that they are slow by any means)…

61 - 80 of 89 Posts