Mercedes A-Class Forum banner
81 - 100 of 137 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,944 Posts
I think maybe the design has grown on me a bit. The front looks good and distinctive although I’m curious as to the durability and how well that voluminous black plastic grill will maintain its looks over time. What I really don’t like is the fake black plastic grill in the rear bumper which is just awful.

It will also be interesting to see if Audi are significantly understating the power and torque figures. VW did this with the Golf R, so I have a feeling the RS3 might be much faster than the published figures suggest (not that they are slow by any means)…
The US version of the engine is 401hp. Which I am guessing is exactly the same as the European version but VW are coming clean about the output to avoid a dieselgate (powergate).

·
Registered
424 Posts
I think maybe the design has grown on me a bit. The front looks good and distinctive although I’m curious as to the durability and how well that voluminous black plastic grill will maintain its looks over time. What I really don’t like is the fake black plastic grill in the rear bumper which is just awful.

It will also be interesting to see if Audi are significantly understating the power and torque figures. VW did this with the Golf R, so I have a feeling the RS3 might be much faster than the published figures suggest (not that they are slow by any means)…
Sportback sucks, looks like an A1 that just got fat (also looks like a SW from some angles), but sedan doesn't look bad. In fact, with an entirely redesigned interior, some changes to the exterior design, bigger rear brakes (plus when you opt for ceramic fronts you should be getting ceramic rears too) and a power bump to 420ps it just might have edged the A45s out. Then I wouldn't mind that it's muted compared to last gen. But, with all these changes we'd be talking about a different car wouldn't we?

Not surprisingly, if you read the comments under all these new RS3 videos, aside from those that like everything about it and think it's the best car man ever made, you'll see many people agree on the following: it's muted, plastics and not getting a power bump. I also read few comments about the rear brakes.

That said, I like the air vents behind the front fenders, I think they would look great on our cars. It's something I noticed was missing long before new RS3 footage was released. Most importantly though, I wish we had a V6 option. That alone would be a game changer, not because the A45s/CLA45s needs it, but it would hit Audi where it hurts the most; their legendary 5 cyl. If I was product manager, I would go for it. I'd keep the 2 liter at 421ps and add a V6 option at 450ps. Rest assured there would be plenty of people that would spend the extra $$ for the big boy.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Most importantly though, I wish we had a V6 option. That alone would be a game changer, not because the A45s/CLA45s needs it, but it would hit Audi where it hurts the most; their legendary 5 cyl. If I was product manager, I would go for it. I'd keep the 2 liter at 421ps and add a V6 option at 450ps. Rest assured there would be plenty of people that would spend the extra $$ for the big boy.
V6 is not viable in this day and age. Even the new C63 is going 4 pot for the reasons of emissions. The M139 or future developments of it (inc. electric hybrid variants) will be the last petrol ICE units before full electrification I suspect…

·
Registered
5 Posts
People being relieved just because the official figures are more or less the same ie sub 400 PS but when the time comes the RS3 will be sending the A45s backwards in a drag race just like it always has with the previous 2 gens matched up and much like the Golf R which is officially 320ps but dynos closer to 340 the RS3 will be well over 400.

·
Super Moderator
4,944 Posts
People being relieved just because the official figures are more or less the same ie sub 400 PS but when the time comes the RS3 will be sending the A45s backwards in a drag race just like it always has with the previous 2 gens matched up and much like the Golf R which is officially 320ps but dynos closer to 340 the RS3 will be well over 400.
So you are an advocate of Powergate against VW.

I hope the RS3 is a lot more powerful than the spec as it should make MB up it's game. But at the end of the day, speaking as someone who has bought my wife an A3, it's just a rebadged Skoda. I note Skoda is now being called Shoda in it's advertising in order to distance itself from it's past labels.

Reactions: Theo

·
Registered
424 Posts
Why would an A45s owner be relieved? That would be dumb for many reasons but I'll name two:

One, by the time the first RS3 is delivered, and you happen to line up at the light in your A45s which is already almost two years old, chances are you'll have it tuned and surely a stock RS3 won't have a chance (unless it's AH behind the wheel -- he seems to be able to summon extra horses when needed). If your still stock, chances are you don't care one bit which car is faster in a drag race. Many people never even race their performance cars, they are just happy knowing what they can do. And two, what @Forrester said, which is what I said in my recent post:

MB won't have to try hard with the FL, in fact they won't have to try at all... and unfortunately that means it probably won't improve much. You need a strong hit to return an even stronger one.
Definitely hope new RS3 is understated as it should make MB up it's game with the FL. That said, I seriously doubt it'll be sending our cars backwards, as in putting us several car lengths. So far the only thing we know is that it's faster to 100kph by a mere tenth, according to Audi. Blink of an eye faster. A passenger of average weight will cost you exactly two tenths. Beyond that we'll have to wait and see what happens at the 1/4 mile. Though I won't accept any drag race attempt by AH, probably the only guy on the planet that managed to pull a 435ps 7.5 Golf R in his stock 8R and actually state that it's equivalent to the tuned 7.5R. Earlier he had done the same against his sold A45s and then said the 8R matched it. Apparently there are people who believe in freak cars that defy the laws of physics. Fortunately, not everyone; carwow showed us what really happens. I'm more than positive they will arrange a drag race as soon as the first RS3 is available, but until then, that tenth of a second is the only thing between them and right now even that is nothing but Audi claims. Yea yea I know, "it understates everything so it's definitely faster, definitely makes at least 420ps". Well you know what they say, pics or it didn't happen.

But just a thought... since Audi is known to understate hp, didn't they do so with the previous gens? And didn't the A45s put the last 400ps RS3 bus lengths? What has changed now? Audi didn't understate those gens enough, but it does now? Lets just wait for that drag race.

·
Registered
424 Posts
V6 is not viable in this day and age. Even the new C63 is going 4 pot for the reasons of emissions. The M139 or future developments of it (inc. electric hybrid variants) will be the last petrol ICE units before full electrification I suspect…
World is going to sh1t, automotive being no exception.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I personally like the look of the new RS3.If I were to get one it would be the Saloon in green
Not keen on the dash and the graphics look a bit pants compared to those in the A45S.

As for the performance,0.1s quicker to 60 wouldn't encourage me to rush out and buy one,especially when I've had quicker than that in the A45S.

Also what people are forgetting when they get all over excited about the RS3 being a fraction of a second quicker on paper is that we are comparing a 2.5L,5 cylinder against a car with 0.5L less of displacement,and 1 less cylinder.

I have also noticed that not half as many people are banging on about the price of the RS3,yet when the Merc at the same price point was announced everyone was having kittens,what's that all about?

Anyway these cars are so close in performance that any differences in the real world could easily be lost in a traffic light grand prix due to a drivers reaction time,one driver being heavier than the other,the AC being on in one car and not the other,even having your windows down could cost you 0.1s.
So realistically we are splitting hairs between the two in the performance.

Both are great cars and we should feel lucky that we have such choices.Would be a boring place if we all drove the same.

·
Super Moderator
4,944 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,944 Posts
No wonder it set the fastest lap,just look at the driver,he must weight next to nothing lol
Yes he's the hollow man 😁 😁 😁

·
Super Moderator
4,944 Posts
I think if we felt the RS3 was a better car and was going to stay better ie the FL A45s didn't put clear exhaust entrails between them, then I'm sure many of us would start moving across. But personally I don't see that is something I want to consider at this point.

·
Registered
2021 AMG A45 S Plus, Sun Yellow, DTUK 470 PS, Akrapovic Evolution in Ti
192 Posts
Just specced one up on the German configurator (UK not live yet).

A money no object spec came to nearly 87,000 Euros! There are a lot of options which are standard on the A45S Plus...

·
Super Moderator
4,944 Posts
Just specced one up on the German configurator (UK not live yet).

A money no object spec came to nearly 87,000 Euros! There are a lot of options which are standard on the A45S Plus...
€87,000!

It sounds as though even a modest few options will take the price easily above that of the A45s+

·
Registered
2021 AMG A45 S Plus, Sun Yellow, DTUK 470 PS, Akrapovic Evolution in Ti
192 Posts
€87,000!

It sounds as though even a modest few options will take the price easily above that of the A45s+
Pan Roof, Sports Exhaust, Pro Nav System, Phone Interface, LTE Module, Tinted Glass, Coloured Accents/Stitching etc etc are all options, at least on the German RS3

81 - 100 of 137 Posts