Mercedes A-Class Forum banner
121 - 137 of 137 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #121 ·
Unless it’s measured on a timing box, large pinch of salt.

Built in car timing features on the screen/display eg AMG Track Pace are only useful for relative measurements, not absolute.

·
Registered
424 Posts
The whole pack of salt.

At least our Track Pace is proven to be off by only a tenth and that's pretty sweet, never thought it'd be that good. Only downside, as with all built in timing features is that you can't validate the result as you got no way to know if there is an incline somewhere along the stretch. And that's important, so GPS boxes will always be the proper way.

Reactions: veeeight

·
Registered
424 Posts
Gotta say though, Audi must be struggling with their pecking order, more than I thought. Took them two years to just match the A45s. Certainly not something to brag about, especially when you got the bigger engine. Even their new rear diff, I wonder where that idea came from.

·
Super Moderator
4,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #124 ·
Even their new rear diff, I wonder where that idea came from.
Haha I know what you’re alluding to, but the first to market with the GKN Twinster diff was the Range Rover Evoque, followed by the Focus RS 😆

Then all manner of cars/SUV’s including Opel/Vauxhall Insignia, Holden Commodore VXR etc. before AMG decided to outsource its version for the W177 A45s.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I know about the Focus RS (didn't know about the Evoque) but I thought it was different. Anyways, why would you think Audi hadn't used it all these years, why wait for MB to use it first. Being first is just as important as the idea itself.

·
Super Moderator
4,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #126 ·
why would you think Audi hadn't used it all these years
It’s simply just to do with MQB platform life cycles and timing, nothing more than that. When you are VW Group, you have to align 8+ brands with a changeover in platforms, Audi’s A3 platform change came in 2020.

Same as M-B W176 ran from 2012-2018, we just happened to get W177 in 2018, they would never have put 4-Matic+ into a W176 for example.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Hadn't thought of that, thank you. Yes that's what happens when you got a dozen brands to manage. Now imagine the FL putting out 470hp with the use of an electric motor as it's been rumored, wouldn't that [email protected] up their pecking order. I wonder how they'd respond, suddenly the RS3 would have to make more power than the RS4, which would be ridiculous. The RS4 would have to get a bump as well, followed by the whole fleet eventually. And that's just Audi, what about Porsche, Carrera S (450hp) would make less power than the RS3. Just a single hybrid FL A45s could wreak havoc.

Reactions: veeeight

·
Registered
424 Posts
And if it's not the FL to go hybrid, make that the next gen A45 coming in like 3-4 years. We could be seeing a hybrid A45 in the next 4 years.

·
Super Moderator
4,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #129 ·
Well. Global production issues aside, in normal times, I would guess that next gen A-Class (let’s call it W178, pure guesswork) would be 2024. A45 would typically follow at least 18-24 months after that, so I wouldn’t expect a W178 A45 until 2026, and that’s in normal times.

If they don’t sell enough of the current W177, or even FL W177 in the next few years, it will have mucked up all their returns on investment and profitability from this current generation, and they will be tempted to push out the roadmap for W178 further so they can sweat some more return. After all, they are in business primarily to make money, not just please customers with new models! 😛

Global Mg shortages

·
Registered
8 Posts
Troefeos are not standard, my mistake, reading the test car just for press release. It looks like Pirelli PZ4 are standard with 265/30/R19 on the front, rear 245/35/R19. RS3’s are now starting to come through to the uk.

·
Super Moderator
4,944 Posts
If you look back at the A45s pre-launch thread, you'll see a screen shot which @Irish boy grabbed showing around 3.1 0-100kph, from memory, for the A45s. We know that doesn't happen in real life. It'll be the same for the RS3.

·
Super Moderator
4,944 Posts
The times are at 1.35 in to the video.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Such comparisons are entirely useless and unreliable for a number of reasons, like we'll never know the conditions at the time of each run such as car weights, tires used, pavement quality and condition, whether there was an incline, speedometer accuracy, even the video itself being sped up. After all, we've all seen a seemingly coordinated attempt by a decent number of youtubers to just announce "the new King" even before its arrival, which is just as ridiculous as it is pathetic to say the least. Wouldn't surprise me if they pulled every last trick, like we haven't already seen it before.

But that aside, if you pause every few seconds you'll notice the RS3 maintains a steady 4-6 km/h gap throughout the entire run (106-101, 156-151, 201-195, 244-238 etc). Any absolutely minor changes are down to the speedos refresh rate. And even that gap was probably down to the RS3 video starting just a tad earlier, cause if you pause at 1:12 exactly the moment the side by side comparison shows up after the blank screen, you'll notice the RS3 speedo reads 10 km/h and the A45s absolute zero!! Driver hasn't yet released the brake! Also, the RS3 is already at over 50% power (puissance = power). If that was an actual drag race, exactly as we're watching it here, I would say the RS3 driver totally jumped the start or the A45s driver took a nap. Either way, that would totally call for a rematch like the ones at carwow. What I think watching this -let me repeat- useless and unreliable comparison, the two cars are neck and neck, just as I expect them to be.

And yet if you go to the comments section, the youtuber finds that being enough of a proof that the RS3 is faster and calls everyone who says otherwise an MB fanboy. Yet another one of those youtubers I was talking about. Oh and the A45s just might be 1550 kg as he says only on standard equipment, no extras and no wheels, which would make it 0wd. But I fear there would be a minor problem...

I still dunno why I actually spent that time posting this; shame rewind only works on the tv. G'day.

·
Super Moderator
4,944 Posts
Yes I agree.

I think the two biggest components of the A45s being slower than it should be are it's weight obviously, but the torque curve. MB should just make the torque flat as possible from as low down the rev range as possible.

·
Super Moderator
4,944 Posts
And yet if you go to the comments section, the youtuber finds that being enough of a proof that the RS3 is faster and calls everyone who says otherwise an MB fanboy.
I hadn't noticed this yet. It must be a post by @veeeight who calls us MB fanboys.

• Haha
Reactions: Theo

·
Registered
424 Posts
I hadn't noticed this yet. It must be a post by @veeeight who calls us MB fanboys.
Rumor has it there was a veeeight on a road trip to Wien Austria driving through Affalterbach, and as he was passing by the plant he went like "pfft fanboys".

• Haha
Reactions: Forrester
121 - 137 of 137 Posts