Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this has been previously mentioned but the amount of spec's that can be added on to the A-Class on the German website compared to the UK is an absolute joke, just been on the phone to Mercedes head office to find out the reason behind this as apparently the UK don't have enough demand for stuff like the night package, different alloys. surely us the paying customers should be allowed whatever the **** spec we want added. Looks like Mercedes will now be losing a loyal customer due to this :crying:

·
Registered
5,426 Posts
all Marques are the same unfortunately, Take BM for example they wont introduce their XDrive system to the UK on the 1 or 2 series because they think it wont be purchased, I mean WTAF weve got more need for that here than most European countries, I do however find this whole nightpack situ on the W177 an absolute joke

·
Registered
440 Posts
What we are offered here in Blighty has a lot more to do with keeping the unit price down rather than that customer demand hogwash they soft soap people with.

Although the UK is the biggest single market in the world for the A-Class, it remains a chunk of minority RHD production in the global scheme of things.

I've taken a long, long look at how this all works across the range when shopping for my new W177, using mainly the UK, German and Dutch configurators. That additional choice in Europe comes at quite a premium.

As an example, the AMG A35 starts at 34,350.00 in the UK, considerably more at 47,528.60 in Germany and a whopping 66,537.00 in The Netherlands.

My specification adds up to 38,035.00 in the UK, 58,506.35 in Germany and an eye-popping 76.766.00 in The Netherlands.

As much as I can discern, the same equipment, give or take not a lot, adds 3685.00 for me, 10,977.75 for the Germans and 10229.00 for the Dutch.

We are second class customers when it comes to choice, but do pay far less in straight currency terms for each vehicle.

MB UK, in that great British way, don't quite play the game properly. They tend to walk a fine pikey line between premium and volume, looking to shift the maximum numbers of the configurations with the most sales and the least overheads, whilst talking the talk of presenting premium choice.

I've done as much homework on the other makes I was interested in with much the same result. The British operations of most premium brands do similar things to varying degrees.

As it turns out it I like Mercedes and the W177 A-Class more than their contemporaries, regardless of the options list available. My current W176 A-Class is a fine car and has served me very well; my dealer has always, as far as car people go, treated me decently and honestly. All things considered I could do much worse than that.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This was the reply I got back from Mercedes in regards to the topic..

Dear Mr Samuels

Thank you for contacting Mercedes-Benz Customer Service.

Further to your email, in regards to your disappointment in the level of specification of the A-Class within the United Kingdom.

I would like to apologise that you are unhappy with the level of specification for the A-Class available in the United Kingdom.

We at Mercedes-Benz carry out rigorous market research, before we set the availability of models and specifications of those models country to country, to find out which variations are suitable and make the most sense for sales within those countries.

It is not possible to offer all variations in all markets and this is the reason we carry out the research to determine where best to place the models and specifications for those models.

I can advise that if there is a specific specification you are looking for, then our advice is to contact your local Mercedes-Benz Retailer direct to see if they have an individual solution for you, however, we cannot guarantee what they can do.

Should you have any further requirements please do not hesitate to contact us.

Yours sincerely

Peter Morrell
Customer Service UK

·
Registered
440 Posts
There's that message, half veiled within the text there, "which variations are suitable and make the most sense for sales within those countries". In Europe it makes sales sense to offer every option under the sun? That's where part of that price difference comes into play, as a trade-off for premium choice. Nobody is willing to blink first and gamble on UK customers paying more than rival ticket prices for better choice.

That "rigorous marketing research" in the UK is based on customers only being able to buy what limited choice they are offered in the first place. We don't offer a wider choice because customers who don't have choice don't exercise choice. A little flawed perhaps. They are definitely both wrong and waffling with regard to both the Night pack and the Privacy glass on its own.

There is some limited scope for alteration of specification, if you manage to find the right dealer with the right connections. Unfortunately it is not possible for all models and in particular less likely for new lines. My sales exec jumped through a bunch of hoops to talk to people within MB who had done so before, but nobody could secure a variation on the new A-Class at build at the time.

In my case I wanted privacy glass on the A35 without the Style Pack and managed to nudge them a step further, by suggesting that the OEM parts I wanted could be ordered and installed in house when the car arrived. That is exactly what is going to happen in return for a slice of negotiated discount, custom spec option agreed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts