Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
We have a 2016 A200 AMG Line and the front tyres are gone, due to the wife ignoring the tyre pressure warnings and running 10 psi low !!
So i need 2 new ones, what do i go for? Keep to what Merc supplied from new? Or another make.
Thanks

·
Registered
541 Posts
I've always chosen the OEM Continentals on my 2015 A200 since new and have no complaints, but then tyre choice can be subjective and my primary concern isn't cost.

The only black mark I'd award is occasional spinning out in the wet on take off, but suspect that has more to do with being a 1.5 ton front drive car with a bit of poke, rather than the quality of the rubber it's wearing.

Reactions: rxs1407

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
I switched from std Contis to the PS4 over a year ago. I cannot see that there is a huge difference but the PS4 tyre walls seem softer but they grip better and last longer.

Comparison video below.

[ame]https://youtu.be/aMv64liOqIE?t=7[/ame]

Reactions: rxs1407

·
Registered
475 Posts
Personal preference again.
I’ve never had run flats but read that they are harder and noisier. They no doubt handle differently too, someone else will need to offer opinion on it though.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Sorry not running run-flats

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
I bought my daughter's Mini Cooper with run flats as I didn't want her stranded on some lonely motor in the dead of night. So in terms of safety in that type of situation they are undoubtedly good but for driving they make the car feel woolly and doing over the 70 limit if any of us ever did that, so just hypothetically, they would make the car difficult to place accurately. But she loves the car and has no issues with the run flats so it's probably a matter of adjusting to them.

But on my PS4's I had a flat on the M25 the other day. The tyre pressure warning came on and I drove around 5 miles to the next services and got a call out tyre guy to stick some budget tyre on until I could get home after the weekend and order another PS4. So not too much hassle without run flats and there is also the can of gunge in the boot to keep you going further.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I bought my daughter's Mini Cooper with run flats as I didn't want her stranded on some lonely motor in the dead of night. So in terms of safety in that type of situation they are undoubtedly good but for driving they make the car feel woolly and doing over the 70 limit if any of us ever did that, so just hypothetically, they would make the car difficult to place accurately. But she loves the car and has no issues with the run flats so it's probably a matter of adjusting to them.

But on my PS4's I had a flat on the M25 the other day. The tyre pressure warning came on and I drove around 5 miles to the next services and got a call out tyre guy to stick some budget tyre on until I could get home after the weekend and order another PS4. So not too much hassle without run flats and there is also the can of gunge in the boot to keep you going further.

Thanks for the info, we have had one front split from a pothole, so run flat or not, we had to call recovery. The cost is a little more for the run flats, but i think i will stick with them, as you say , the places the wife's drives, would be worth it..

So will look at the PS4 in runflats.. Thanks again for the help..

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So i spoke to dealer and there are no runflats from Michelin in our size. Plus no Ps4 normal in our size. So only choice with Michelin is PS2? Are these any good ? Thanks

·
Registered
475 Posts
Ah! you don’t need MO or MOE marked tyres.

Allegedly they will have certain tread patterns or wear compounds dictated by the car manufacturer to suit the car.

If you absolutely must get MO marked tyres then there will probably be PS3’s somewhere as that’s what mine has on.

The only thing you need to match are the sizes, speed rating and load rating.
If you can get tyres cheaper with a higher speed rating or load rating then you could get those, but 1) it’s unlikely they will be cheaper and 2) they will probably have harder sidewalls and so be noisier/harsher.

My advice just get the ones that have exactly the same size and rating as your current ones. PS4 is what everyone is raving about in reviews and what I will get.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ah! you don’t need MO or MOE marked tyres.

Allegedly they will have certain tread patterns or wear compounds dictated by the car manufacturer to suit the car.

If you absolutely must get MO marked tyres then there will probably be PS3’s somewhere as that’s what mine has on.

The only thing you need to match are the sizes, speed rating and load rating.
If you can get tyres cheaper with a higher speed rating or load rating then you could get those, but 1) it’s unlikely they will be cheaper and 2) they will probably have harder sidewalls and so be noisier/harsher.

My advice just get the ones that have exactly the same size and rating as your current ones. PS4 is what everyone is raving about in reviews and what I will get.

Thanks very much...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts