Mercedes A-Class Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am new here so want to say hello and see if I am unusual with my problems.

I took delivery of my A250e AMG Line Premium Plus in May, but was in hospital just after delivery so have only done 771 miles. On the whole, love it, but do have a few problems:
1) The centre MBUX screen intermittently is blank on start up and does not work again until car locked for at least 2 hours - this only started happening about 3 weeks ago. Has been back to main dealer firstly for a software update, which didn't make any difference, and subsequently for a new hard drive - also not made any difference. Car currently sitting in the dealership (again) waiting for MB to tell them what to do...
2) Error message on driver's screen "Without changing gear, consult workshop" - main dealer told me to call MB Roadside Assist who came out the next day and couldn't find anything wrong but there was an error logged deep in the ECU saying that gearbox could not recognise change from park to neutral. He suspected the parameters had not been correctly set in the factory so re-set them. Next day it happened again, so back to the main dealer when they were upgrading the MBUX software - not happened since but not driven it much.
3) The front passenger window would close and then drop 5mm so cracked open - took a little while to realise this was going on and explained why wind noise on motorway so bad! Main dealer adjusted the sensors which had not been correctly set in the factory or picked up at PDI...
4) Bought dashcam (incidentally a complete rip-off at £200 just to get a little bit of software to use the equipment already built into the car!) and it took 40 hours before the car recognised it and it could be used - a pain but it does now work perfectly.

All in all, whilst I am sure the car could be great, I am not a happy bunny and my wife has lost all faith in the car, so insists upon using her gas guzzling 4X4 which has rather negated the point in getting a ecologically favourable car.

Have I got a "Friday Car" or is this typical?
Mike

·
Super Moderator
4,341 Posts
Welcome to Mercedes A-Class ownership.

Nothing is free with a Mercedes. Or BMW. Or Audi.

Blank Screen(s):

Windows not closing fully:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quick up-date to my blank MBUX screen problem - the main dealer called me today to say that MB has told them to replace the control unit however these are on worldwide back order with no idea when they will become available, so they have returned the car to me with no feature which is controlled by MBUX working! Thus we do not have:
  • Reversing camera
  • Navigation
  • Radio / Media
  • Ability to change EQ setting (it's defaulted to "Comfort")
  • M-Me
  • Hands-free phone
  • Dashcam
  • Seat kinetics (I have very bad back, so important to me!)
I'm not sure what else doesn't work yet, but I'm definitely not happy; however, the car is drivable and legal so better than nothing, but not exactly what I paid for.
Mike

·
Registered
1 Posts
Quick up-date to my blank MBUX screen problem - the main dealer called me today to say that MB has told them to replace the control unit however these are on worldwide back order with no idea when they will become available, so they have returned the car to me with no feature which is controlled by MBUX working! Thus we do not have:
  • Reversing camera
  • Navigation
  • Radio / Media
  • Ability to change EQ setting (it's defaulted to "Comfort")
  • M-Me
  • Hands-free phone
  • Dashcam
  • Seat kinetics (I have very bad back, so important to me!)
I'm not sure what else doesn't work yet, but I'm definitely not happy; however, the car is drivable and legal so better than nothing, but not exactly what I paid for.
Mike
That's shocking!

·
Registered
2021 A200 AMG Line
2 Posts
Hi, I am new here so want to say hello and see if I am unusual with my problems.

I took delivery of my A250e AMG Line Premium Plus in May, but was in hospital just after delivery so have only done 771 miles. On the whole, love it, but do have a few problems:
1) The centre MBUX screen intermittently is blank on start up and does not work again until car locked for at least 2 hours - this only started happening about 3 weeks ago. Has been back to main dealer firstly for a software update, which didn't make any difference, and subsequently for a new hard drive - also not made any difference. Car currently sitting in the dealership (again) waiting for MB to tell them what to do...
2) Error message on driver's screen "Without changing gear, consult workshop" - main dealer told me to call MB Roadside Assist who came out the next day and couldn't find anything wrong but there was an error logged deep in the ECU saying that gearbox could not recognise change from park to neutral. He suspected the parameters had not been correctly set in the factory so re-set them. Next day it happened again, so back to the main dealer when they were upgrading the MBUX software - not happened since but not driven it much.
3) The front passenger window would close and then drop 5mm so cracked open - took a little while to realise this was going on and explained why wind noise on motorway so bad! Main dealer adjusted the sensors which had not been correctly set in the factory or picked up at PDI...
4) Bought dashcam (incidentally a complete rip-off at £200 just to get a little bit of software to use the equipment already built into the car!) and it took 40 hours before the car recognised it and it could be used - a pain but it does now work perfectly.

All in all, whilst I am sure the car could be great, I am not a happy bunny and my wife has lost all faith in the car, so insists upon using her gas guzzling 4X4 which has rather negated the point in getting a ecologically favourable car.

Have I got a "Friday Car" or is this typical?
Mike
I had a similar problem with a new Audi A3 earlier this year, whereby the MMI screen kept going bank for several seconds at random intervals, and at the same time the audio would cut out. When everything came back on it would usually tune into a different radio station or even a different audio source. Apparently this fault is affecting a number of different models across the VW/Audi/Skoda range. In any event Audi were unable to fix it so after four months I rejected the car- this process took a long time and although VW/Audi finance refunded my £6k deposit I am still in dispute with them over the final settlement. So anyway last Friday I took delivery of a new A200 and so far I am very pleased with it, but understandably was somewhat alarmed to read of the problems you are having. If Mercedes are unable to solve your issues you may want to consider rejecting the car, as I did, but ideally you need to do this within the first six months of ownership - plenty of advice can be found online. Many people seem to take the view that because modern cars are so complex, problems of this sort are inevitable, but I do not accept this. For one thing prior to the Audi I had a Honda Civic for three years, which if anything was better equipped with electronics than either of the German cars and I had no trouble whatsoever (and it cost a lot less), and with hindsight wish I had made the final payment and kept it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts