Mercedes A-Class Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Vendor
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Thought I would do a little write up of one of our latest products we offer. The Nitron R1 suspension kit, fully adjustable ride height, spring preload, camber (fronts) and combined bump/rebound.

As a bit of a back story, I (Daniel) personally have worked with Nitron before in the past with great success claiming my British Formula 3 Championship title while using Nitron dampers. I had been looking at the various suspension kits on the market and decided to approach Nitron with a partnership in using my A45 to develop a suspension kit, as you can probably tell, they liked the idea!

All in all from initial concept with drawings to having the kit on the A45 was about 4 months plus another few weeks with final tweaks with springs, ride height and damping adjustment. I had high expectations with the kit, it has delivered and more.

- Firstly the stance looks great now, plenty low enough with a little room for more which maybe overkill but still more adjustment if that's your thing! The rake has been improved which certainly helps.
- Adjustment with damping and camber plates. Camber wise we're running around 3 degrees but should be able to get around 4 at the front, this works the tyres more efficiently but more so helps when loading the car as the tyre will sit more in contact with the road rather than falling over itself. The valving range is plenty, for road use 5 clicks from soft is being used with using another 10-15 clicks for track use with more adjustment available if you're driving on the smoothest of tarmac.
- The over all handling has been vastly improved with slightly stiffer springs coupled with much better damper control. Often a lot of coilover manufacturers end up using a lot harder springs to make up for inferior damper control. The Nitron kit doesn't have to rely solely on much stiffer springs which helps with a car as a daily driver but still has been tested with different spring rates to help the overall balance and getting rid of the nasty push understeer on power.

The kit itself has been designed and manufactured all here in the UK using the best quality materials available to ensure longevity. I would put money on these dampers outlasting the car...

Available online at Carbonwurks -http://carbonwurks.com/shop/by-category/feature/nitron-r1-fully-adjustable-coilover-suspension/

Anyway, to the pictures!

·
Vendor
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hs1 said:
anybody has tried this? looking to hear some feedbacks

We have a few customers with the Nitron suspension on their A45's, they primarily use there cars for track. We have had the kit on our car for around 9 months now and it's used for daily driving and track work.

Are you looking for any specific information or just how it handles? The adjustment in the dampers is very useful for changing the characteristics of the car day to day and allows a very controlled set-up for the track with easily changeable camber and caster. As a daily driver it is firmer than standard suspension with a slightly stiffer spring rate all round with more bias to the rear to help balance the car better on the springs.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I see, so mostly suited for track i suppose. was wondering if it will be too firm for daily use and if it will be noisy, i believe OEM rubber mount is not used?

Thanks

·
Vendor
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hs1 said:
I see, so mostly suited for track i suppose. was wondering if it will be too firm for daily use and if it will be noisy, i believe OEM rubber mount is not used?

Thanks

That's correct, it does not use the OEM rubber top mounts. The ride is definitely firmer but really it comes down to what type of roads you drive on. I use our A45 daily and have some 34,000 miles on it now. The suspension is quite firm on our local roads but is still drive-able daily. The damper settings can be turned right down which allows more suspension movement.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts