Mercedes A-Class Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
AMG A45s W177, designo grey
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys.
I have been driving an A45s (2020 model) for a little more than one year now and have noticed my exhaust is not as loud as before.
When I first got the car the pops and bangs were crazy loud, now to achieve to achieve that I almost need to redline and floor the car and the pops and bangs will still not be as loud.
I tried everything, I fill up the car with 98 fuel (sometimes even a 100) and put the car in race or individual. I haven’t put any kinds of mods or tuning on it for warranty reasons and don’t want to do so.
Does anyone have the same issue or solution? Thanks)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Not here! What might be happening is that something has registered as a code on the ECU but not enough to cause an engine warning light on the dash. This may of placed the safe mode on and might need to clear any stored errors or faults to reenable this. Have you lost any power?

·
Registered
White A35 AMG, Red and Black leather interior, Premium pack
40 Posts
Perhaps a problem with the exhaust valve?
Maybe get your car connected to a code reader and see what it shows.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Perhaps a problem with the exhaust valve?
Maybe get your car connected to a code reader and see what it shows.
Thank you for your reply. I took it to MB recently and they checked the valves and updated the software on the valve control and said nothing is wrong with it. So I don't think that is the problem. I'm no mechanic but do things like the OPF and Catalytic converter get like "clogged" or start to restrict airflow if the car is driven a lot and aggressively?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not here! What might be happening is that something has registered as a code on the ECU but not enough to cause an engine warning light on the dash. This may of placed the safe mode on and might need to clear any stored errors or faults to reenable this. Have you lost any power?
Thank you for your reply! I haven't noticed any power loss compared to before. Sure it might have lost a couple of HP with my driving style 🤣 but I am pretty sure it hasn't gone into any safe mode for the car. I took the car to MB recently and they checked the valves and updated the software on it. Does an exhaust start to become less loud as it gets used a lot (parts like the OPF and Catalytic converter)? Like does it start to become clogged and restrict airflow possibly? Sorry if this is a dumb question but I am not a mechanic or expert with car parts.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey guys.
I have been driving an A45s (2020 model) for a little more than one year now and have noticed my exhaust is not as loud as before.
When I first got the car the pops and bangs were crazy loud, now to achieve to achieve that I almost need to redline and floor the car and the pops and bangs will still not be as loud.
I tried everything, I fill up the car with 98 fuel (sometimes even a 100) and put the car in race or individual. I haven’t put any kinds of mods or tuning on it for warranty reasons and don’t want to do so.
Does anyone have the same issue or solution? Thanks)
I went Googling my self about the exact same issue. I've got a 2021 GLE 53, i know this forum is mostly about a-class if not strictly.

However the first months it was popping like mad when driving in Sport+, i.e the slightest downshift would make it pop & bang.

I sent it to a detailer when I got it back it had the check engine light. I also noticed that the exhaust was way quieter than before. After a couple of days, the check engine light went away, I assumed it was some sensor that got wet.. Not sure if that would trigger it.

The exhaust still didn't pop&bang like before.

However literally 2 days ago it started doing it again. I have no clue if there was some software update or whatever it was, but it's back for me now. It randomly went away and randomly came back. The only difference is that it's a little warmer outside, but don't think that matters.

I don't believe the exhaust will go more quiet the more you use it, that would be pretty bad since I casually drive it in Sport+ with exhaust valves open just for the pops & bangs lmao.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I have occasionally seen an error stored in mine regarding the exhaust flap being stuck. It doesn't cause an engine light, so you would only pick it if you have a proper scanner. The repair instructions basically say to remove it and lubricate it.

Could it perhaps be related to that?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have occasionally seen an error stored in mine regarding the exhaust flap being stuck. It doesn't cause an engine light, so you would only pick it if you have a proper scanner. The repair instructions basically say to remove it and lubricate it.

Could it perhaps be related to that?
How would you read the errors? Is there any devices I could buy my self to read errors without going directly to Mercedes?

·
Registered
2021 AMG CLA45 S
123 Posts
If your car suddenly doesn't pop and bangs or you notice the burble is gone, it is definitely the ECU detected something amiss and decided to play safe and cut that feature.

It has happened to me, and a scan did reveal codes. Sometimes, the code would take a couple engine cycles to appear, and depending on the tool that you use to scan, some might not be able to pick it up and require a more sophisticated scanner.

Either way, the pop and bangs is a good indicator that the ECU detected something and requires attention.

And some codes does go away after a couple of engine cycles as the ECU deemed that it no longer is valid after monitoring it hence your pops and bangs came back.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I went Googling my self about the exact same issue. I've got a 2021 GLE 53, i know this forum is mostly about a-class if not strictly.

However the first months it was popping like mad when driving in Sport+, i.e the slightest downshift would make it pop & bang.

I sent it to a detailer when I got it back it had the check engine light. I also noticed that the exhaust was way quieter than before. After a couple of days, the check engine light went away, I assumed it was some sensor that got wet.. Not sure if that would trigger it.

The exhaust still didn't pop&bang like before.

However literally 2 days ago it started doing it again. I have no clue if there was some software update or whatever it was, but it's back for me now. It randomly went away and randomly came back. The only difference is that it's a little warmer outside, but don't think that matters.

I don't believe the exhaust will go more quiet the more you use it, that would be pretty bad since I casually drive it in Sport+ with exhaust valves open just for the pops & bangs lmao.
Hey, so Im obviously late here lol but i have purchased a 2021 GLE 53 coupe and the pop and bangs were ridiculously loud in the beginning and now almost a year and a half into having it and only 15,000 miles and properly maintained it became a lot less vicious and sometimes just gives out only a roar sound rather than the pops and bangs i used to get on every down shift no matter what RPMs I’m hitting, if anyone knows the real problem rather than taking it to MB bc they never seem to know what the problem is or is that just how Mercedes’ works? And if it is that is just disappointing because one of the main reasons i decided to get this car was because of how wicked the exhuast sound was and now seems like it was too good to be true.

·
Administrator
5,164 Posts
2 things to consider

1. Fuel - you get more pops and bags when you use premium super unleaded 99RON.

3. Faults and error codes - other members have reported that if there is an error code logged or potential problem with the engine - the first “feature” to be shut down are pops and bangs.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts