Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Clearly, by default, all members of this forum are dedicated petrol heads; I'm interested to hear what you think about the Government announcement in the UK today.

I'm all in favour of the global environmental initiatives that need to be in place to save our planet but as a 53 year-old who has always loved cars since the age of 17, this announcement did strike me with some dread. From a performance perspective, the EV world already has the likes of Tesla and I'm sure that, in 10 years time, we will have a large selection of performance vehicles to choose from. But what about the sounds and smells of the good old internal combustion engine that we all love? It's all going to be gone. Are we going to have fake sound outside the vehicle in years to come? Ughhh!

My first thought when I heard the news was that I have 10 years or perhaps less to purchase the vehicle that will take me into retirement and beyond. Lovingly cared for and stored in a garage for the rest of my years. Either a new car before 2020 or buy a classic.

Is that the wrong attitude to have? I guess it is but that's how I feel.

Interested in the thoughts of others.

Thanks,

Keith.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Hi All,

Clearly, by default, all members of this forum are dedicated petrol heads; I'm interested to hear what you think about the Government announcement in the UK today.

I'm all in favour of the global environmental initiatives that need to be in place to save our planet but as a 53 year-old who has always loved cars since the age of 17, this announcement did strike me with some dread. From a performance perspective, the EV world already has the likes of Tesla and I'm sure that, in 10 years time, we will have a large selection of performance vehicles to choose from. But what about the sounds and smells of the good old internal combustion engine that we all love? It's all going to be gone. Are we going to have fake sound outside the vehicle in years to come? Ughhh!

My first thought when I heard the news was that I have 10 years or perhaps less to purchase the vehicle that will take me into retirement and beyond. Lovingly cared for and stored in a garage for the rest of my years. Either a new car before 2020 or buy a classic.

Is that the wrong attitude to have? I guess it is but that's how I feel.

Interested in the thoughts of others.

Thanks,

Keith.
Boris Johnston will be gone soon the world is changing with us now in nesara mode since the 2nd of November
it’s A myth regarding ozone and China is controlling Europe and Uk but when trump wins the election you will see the world will be changing for the better the petrol engines ill still be available

·
Registered
74 Posts
There will be wars for the raw materials, think petrol is around for a bit. Little has been done with regard to battery eco credentials. IMO

·
3,312 Posts
I know how difficult it will be to change "so quickly". I don't want to give up my powerful petrol driven car with a great sounding engine. I don't even want to acknowledge we are doing anything wrong. But it is the right thing to do. We perhaps need some flexibility around the 2030 cutoff and a whole lot more investment in charging points especially for people who live in flats and built up areas without garages and drives. The pandemic is doing a lot of the carbon reduction work for us at present but as now seems highly likely we normalise by the middle of next year the massive pent up demand for travel is going to unleash a tsunami of emissions into the atmosphere and we need to get our act together now to deal with it.

Whenever I have presented at conferences on tax and the environment I have always found that tax rarely does the job it needs regulation i.e. a change in the law to get to the result which is sort. Unfortunately this is a measure which is needed but as I say perhaps by the original 2040 date.

Reactions: Zephead2112

·
3,312 Posts
Boris Johnston will be gone soon the world is changing with us now in nesara mode since the 2nd of November
it’s A myth regarding ozone and China is controlling Europe and Uk but when trump wins the election you will see the world will be changing for the better the petrol engines ill still be available
I was reading Johnson's FT article last night, which obvs. someone else wrote for him. And he has his latest BS phrase that he wants the UK to become the Saudi Arabia of wind farms. Then in one of the comments below the article someone worked out that we would need to add over 1 billion more wind turbines to the only 11,000 we currently have to generate the same amount of power as Saudi oil production. Which would cost the UK around £3.5 trillion. This is almost twice the size of the UK economy.

·
Registered
A200d Prem+ DAP
171 Posts
I can’t help but feel that the government will use the old ‘carrot and stick’ method.
But hang on, we’ve run out of carrots!

Yes, taxation will be the method to convince us to move to EV whether it’s incentives to make really expensive EV’s just fairly expensive, or additional tax on petrol (for the good of the planet)

I just wonder how people who rely on street parking will cope? It will be OK in cities but small villages like I live in will just not have the facilities. And the average car around me is around 10-15 years old. How are those owners going to afford electric vehicles? Even if they can, will they trust a 10 year old battery pack?
Lots of things to do before we all move to electric, I think

·
3,312 Posts
I can’t help but feel that the government will use the old ‘carrot and stick’ method.
But hang on, we’ve run out of carrots!

Yes, taxation will be the method to convince us to move to EV whether it’s incentives to make really expensive EV’s just fairly expensive, or additional tax on petrol (for the good of the planet)

I just wonder how people who rely on street parking will cope? It will be OK in cities but small villages like I live in will just not have the facilities. And the average car around me is around 10-15 years old. How are those owners going to afford electric vehicles? Even if they can, will they trust a 10 year old battery pack?
Lots of things to do before we all move to electric, I think

Agree entirely. As usual Johnson's gone for a sound bite without any substantive thinking behind it.

Such people you mention who cannot afford to switch, who are the majority in the country, will be penalised twice by tax. Once on fuel and the dwindling competition as petrol stations shut pushing up pump prices and then again road pricing which will likely come in to close the tax gap created by people going electric.

Reactions: AMGSingapore

·
Registered
156 Posts
I must admit that all of these pending policies to outlaw ICE has me both saddened and convinced more than ever that I need to seek out and secure the best options for some thunderous and wonderfully sounding V8’s (or 10’s/12/s where the case may be).

Over the years I have owned the wonderful V8 in the Maserati GranTurismo (possibly one of the best sounding engine’s I have ever owned). The supercharged V8 in the Range Rover Sport was a fantastic experience for me. The sonorous V8 of the Aston Martin Vantage was also one of my favorites and was a different experience to many others. I owned a V10 in my Audi R8. So while I definitely respect and am in awe of a 4 cylinder turbo which can product 421 HP, the experience thus far has been “as expected” and is definitely nowhere near that of a large displacement petrol engine.

Lately I have been scoping out and considering the following cars (but mostly engine related) to add to the garage and “hold on forever” now as Keith says. The list is; Lexus LC500 (naturally aspirated) , Aston Martin Vanquish (naturally aspirated), AMG GT C and the AMG G63. The 911 GT3 could also be on this list not as much due to its sound but because of the highly impressive naturally aspirated flat 6 - a pretty special sound too.

IMHO, there are far more significant changes and efforts that we could be making to save the environment - mainly focused around heavy industry pollution, trucks, airlines etc. I think the common car is often made a scapegoat when in fact its elimination would have minimal impact on climate change compared to those other options.

😭😭😭 Long live the V8 (please). Head buried in sand.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts