Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I would try make a thread to filter out the many topics the A250e and charging creates! 馃お

Like myself and from the many I've seen mention, the electric tariff Octopus Go, seems a good option for home charging, but like others who've asked, can the A250e be scheduled for that infamous 00:30 - 04:30 slot!

Would be great if people who have had a home charger installed comment what brand charger, can you set a schedule (whether using the chargers own software/app, or via Mercedes-Me) and if not have you added additional electrics to set a schedule successfully?!

Registered
Hello!

I'm in the currently waiting for BP Pulse (chargemaster) to come and install a wallbox. Ive read a few different users say that they use the BP app to schedule their wallbox to begin charging at certain times.
I haven't seen any others but I bet there are a few out there!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From another forum I've read, the Andersen unit can do charges by scheduling with A250e, but the MB app gives messages saying there a problem once the charging stops but its basically because the car is expecting a charge because its plugged in.

From replies from installers, I believe the Ohme can do it too, but I'm not a fan as its quite ugly with cable coming out of the top.

I've not got one installed yet, but waiting for some prices on the Evbox Elvi.

Registered
Just checking my sums are right. The car has 15kw/h battery but only really uses 10kw/h. So if you charge at the 5p off peak rate, it costs 50p to fully charge?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Had the Wallbox Pulsar Plus charger installed this week and can confirm it works well with Octopus Go.

Scheduled charging is easy enough to do, although I had an issue initially with my saved schedules not showing in the app but after reinstalling the app, everything works fine.

Registered
Hi,

I鈥檝e just ordered a new A250e AMG Line Premium and it鈥檚 due for delivery in July (so excited!). I鈥檝e never had an EV or even a Mercedes before and am pretty confused by all the conversations around home charging. This post has been useful though.

Originally I wasn鈥檛 going to bother with a home charging box as my office has free EV charging and it鈥檚 likely that I鈥檇 be able to do the full commute on electric only. My plan was to just use the 3 pin charging if I needed to. On reading some forums and watching some YouTube videos though, I get the sense that 3 pin charging could be costly and potentially even dangerous. This has led me to rethink and maybe just go all in with the home charging unit.

I鈥檓 currently with Octopus Energy and am considering having a home charger installed. Their Octopus Go tariff seems very good and one of the posts above has drawn my attention to the Wallbox Pulsar box. My question is around the cost of the charger and installation - is anyone able to advise on this at all?

My other question on this particular topic (I have further questions on other things but will post these separately!) is around charging 鈥榦n the go鈥. Again, I thought this would be nice and easy but forums and YouTube suggest otherwise and I鈥檓 confused about all of the various types of charging points/companies/schemes etc. Again, is someone able to offer any advice or guidance on this, in particular which companies are best to use and what actual socket I should use when at one of these charging points.

Sorry for what may be silly questions but to me as a newbie, the whole EV charging thing is an absolute minefield. I鈥檝e watched countless YouTube videos on the subject and I鈥檓 still none the wiser, so any help and advice would be really appreciated.

Thanks

Matt

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Originally I wasn鈥檛 going to bother with a home charging box as my office has free EV charging and it鈥檚 likely that I鈥檇 be able to do the full commute on electric only. My plan was to just use the 3 pin charging if I needed to. On reading some forums and watching some YouTube videos though, I get the sense that 3 pin charging could be costly and potentially even dangerous. This has led me to rethink and maybe just go all in with the home charging unit.
Same here, with work having a good source of chargers, I intended on not getting a home charger. However, for me at least, it becomes quite addictive to get maximum range or mileage from minimum input or payments to charge the battery 馃ぃ. I soon found the petrol mpg is poor, plus I don't actually like the regen mode in petrol so try to drive as much as I can only in electric D+ mode (That's a different discussion anyway!)

The 3 pin chargers are in my view, only for temporary or emergency use, I don't think they are designed for regular charging, if you do, it's not that I think they are dangerous, it's the fact the will wear out which then becomes a problem.

I鈥檓 currently with Octopus Energy and am considering having a home charger installed. Their Octopus Go tariff seems very good and one of the posts above has drawn my attention to the Wallbox Pulsar box. My question is around the cost of the charger and installation - is anyone able to advise on this at all?
Octopus Energy, is a strange one, but in a good way fortunately. The Octopus Go EV rate they give is actually better than the best 'normal' tariff where I live, so it would make sense to switch even if you weren't charging your car of a night.

I paid 拢500 (after the OLEV grant) via a special offer I seen from company near me on Facebook for the Wallbox Pulsar Plus, was originally about 拢589, which is still quite good as I quite like the Wallbox. The next best I received quotes for was for about 拢600+. Shop around though when getting quotes for installation, as I had several quotes for over 拢1000 for the same charger.

My other question on this particular topic (I have further questions on other things but will post these separately!) is around charging 鈥榦n the go鈥. Again, I thought this would be nice and easy but forums and YouTube suggest otherwise and I鈥檓 confused about all of the various types of charging points/companies/schemes etc. Again, is someone able to offer any advice or guidance on this, in particular which companies are best to use and what actual socket I should use when at one of these charging points.
As I mentioned above it can be quite addictive to want to use only electric, which is why I ended up getting the home charger, as having that extra option of a full battery when you are off work or away from another regular charger to pop the shops or pick the kids up will soon pay for the cost of charger.

I think when I done the sums for my mileage over the remainder of my lease deal, if I charged my car at home it cost something like 拢950 for the electric portion using a normal 15p/kwh rate, but for 5p a kilowatt at home on Go, for the same mileage it would cost around 拢850, which inlcuded the 拢500 to install it, so it was a no brainer.

That said, 40+miles isn't achievable for everyone, so you will want to use other charging points, I would recommend signing up to the apps, Pod Point and Zap Map, they will give you an idea of the available chargers, both free and at a cost in the places you are likely to visit. There are others but it depends on the EV providers near to where you will park. For example my wife travels to Manchester for work and sometimes takes my car, so can get there just about on battery (she blasts the heat) which is 31 miles, and in some of the carparks there are chargers with the network Charge Your Car (CYC), which she can charge for free, but you need to sign up and pay 拢20 for the year (not yet signed up so completely sure of the details just yet). Also, a lot of the big Tescos now have Pod Point chargers in, so if you do your shopping there it's worth checking if they have them installed.

So ultimately, you will need to do a bit a research into your journeys and see what your options are! Pretty sure you will find out all your answers too as this is where i started with my questions!

I'm sure there are other users on this forum who use different schemes who may be able to tell you of others.

Registered
Just a warning to check the parking charge requirement at public charge points. Learned lesson the hard way. Drove from London - where I have not yet had to pay for parking at on-street charge points - to Oxford, and charged at a public charge point in a city car park (Summerhill Road) without checking. Only car in the whole car park on Easter Sunday morning. Came back after 3 hours to a 拢100 parking ticket on the window. Oxford City council clearly not yet fully committed to zero emissions in the city..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts