Mercedes A-Class Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know dealers use dipstick hole to do oil change. But what about those engines without dipstick, they do it the regular way or is there another hole?

·
Registered
431 Posts
Horror

I know dealers use dipstick hole to do oil change. But what about those engines without dipstick, they do it the regular way or is there another hole?
I would be very upset with anyone who does an oil change through the dipstick hole, let alone dealer.
If you know of one, Name and Shame.
Or is it that you don't KNOW; just somebody said""

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
many brands are doing that, i know for sure bmw does that, i see nothing wrong with it, as long as they make sure drain the correct amount of oil and put it new oil and filter. Less things to go wrong, you dont need to take off the protective sheet under the engine nor mess with the torque in the drain plug.

·
Registered
85 Posts
many brands are doing that, i know for sure bmw does that, i see nothing wrong with it, as long as they make sure drain the correct amount of oil and put it new oil and filter. Less things to go wrong, you dont need to take off the protective sheet under the engine nor mess with the torque in the drain plug.
Agreed, even those performing an oil change themselves do it this way. Less hassle, less mess and no concern...

·
Registered
431 Posts
Experts

OK, I will back down over the Dealers doing it, however they are trained mechanics and only use it on suitable engines.
You have enough knowledge to correctly point out the need to be aware of the need to check the quantities, I expect it is even written in the instructions you get with the kit.
But Fred, who never reads instructions so lost them, lends his kit to Tom, who says it must be OK because "Everybody else (even BMW) does it. I've seen it recommend by the guys at the aclassclub.
Tom only manages to get 6 pints out because the dipstick in his Mercedes SLK does not line up with the deepest part of the engine so he puts 6 back in or worse still puts 10 back thinking it must have been low on oil (change the quantities and make of car to suit your imagination).

I was a aircraft Safety Engineer, I learnt at a very early stage that you need to consider the lowest knowledge level of your audience (and then subtract 50%) and then teach/recommend to that.

·
Registered
497 Posts
OK, I will back down over the Dealers doing it, however they are trained mechanics and only use it on suitable engines.
You have enough knowledge to correctly point out the need to be aware of the need to check the quantities, I expect it is even written in the instructions you get with the kit.
But Fred, who never reads instructions so lost them, lends his kit to Tom, who says it must be OK because "Everybody else (even BMW) does it. I've seen it recommend by the guys at the aclassclub.
Tom only manages to get 6 pints out because the dipstick in his Mercedes SLK does not line up with the deepest part of the engine so he puts 6 back in or worse still puts 10 back thinking it must have been low on oil (change the quantities and make of car to suit your imagination).

I was a aircraft Safety Engineer, I learnt at a very early stage that you need to consider the lowest knowledge level of your audience (and then subtract 50%) and then teach/recommend to that.

I love to see evidence of the same level of cynicism as in my line of work - system development and insurance underwriting - both of which teach you that you can never underestimate either the competence of users, or the integrity of customers :)

·
Registered
431 Posts
Expectations

I love to see evidence of the same level of cynicism as in my line of work - system development and insurance underwriting - both of which teach you that you can never underestimate either the competence of users, or the integrity of customers :)
Yes in your job you're looking for the top 10%

I'm not the one telling the bottom 10% they can service their own car.

Question would you give your car to a guy you met in the pub and let him service it without knowing his ability?

·
Registered
286 Posts
Is this what you mean? Not sure what it is, but it doesn't look like and oil suction tube... Looks like it could be to do with the transmission fluid

1 - 13 of 13 Posts