Mercedes A-Class Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone checked the oil yet?? I've just completed 1st 1200 miles & wondering if should start checking..? Not worked out how to pop the bonnet yet :)

My last Audi they had it in for a 1000 mile check when it was new - MB have said 1st service check in about a year..

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
349 Posts
Check it! I check mine very regularly. Get the right oil from Merc ( MB approval code 229.3,229.51 or 229.5) and do it. The bonnet release is on the drivers side, big red lever and the bonnet catch is in the middle. The bonnet needs to be dropped from around a foot to shut it ( feels weird as its a **** good slam) do not press down on the bonnet to shut it. So far mine has used about 300mls of oil in a few thousand miles which is nothing.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cheers Mbznut... just checked, i gave in & checked the manual in the end for the bonnet release catch :)

Oil looks fine but will start checking regularly... must admit I'm not very good with that ..

must say only thing I'm disappointed with compared with the audi is the bonnet, feels a bit lightweight compared to the audi & as you say not heavy enough to shut with its own weight - plus hate the strut to keep it up..

anyway moans over.. still loving this car!! Still finding myself driving the long way round to get to places :)..

is the oil more expensive from merc?

·
Registered
349 Posts
Yeh it does feel a bit cheap no gas struts and bonnet needs a **** good slam. I wondered if its something to do with the pedestrian safety element?

I got the oil from the dealer it was cheaper than my local motor factor and the big name car stores.

The car is amazing. Like you I drive the long way to work and always finish with a blast in sport mode just to put a big grin on my face before the day at work! I'm having trouble leaving it parked though! I suffer parking OCD at the bestoff times and the thought of someone door denting it fills me with rage! I have enough considered getting the door guards that you put on when parked ( look a bit like upmarket pipe lagging) Edited by: Mbznut

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm the same.... scuffed my audi wheels when it was quite new so obsessed with not scratching these, parking at least 6 inches from the kerb..

plus always use the mums with toddlers bays in Sainsbury's to avoid door dents.. (sorry mums)

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
& thanks for the tip re the oil btw.. will get some this weekend when I pop in for screenwash - love the smell of the original one :)

·
Registered
349 Posts
Ha ha!I have started ordering shopping online to prevent the nightmare that is the supermarket car park. Or take my wife's car if its an emergency!

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
lol.. might do the same, at least we can shop at Waitrose then & saves driving to Chelsea ;)... snobs or what

·
Registered
349 Posts
Waitrose rules plus sometimes get money off at shell, 5p a litre last month, and points at shell for waitrose. Shell is also the best!

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
unfortunately my fuel card only works at BP.. :(

·
Registered
109 Posts
Mbznut said:
Waitrose rules plus sometimes get money off at shell, 5p a litre last month, and points at shell for waitrose. Shell is also the best!
No its not.

·
Registered
373 Posts
im with you lads ... waitrose and shell all the way.
Jokes aside shell v power is by far the best fuel, then tesco 99. In 9 years my scooby has only ever drank v power execept for acouple of depserate tiny squirts to get me to a shell lol. The A will be getting the same treatment i think.

·
Registered
109 Posts
reza said:
im with you lads ... waitrose and shell all the way.
Jokes aside shell v power is by far the best fuel, then tesco 99. In 9 years my scooby has only ever drank v power execept for acouple of depserate tiny squirts to get me to a shell lol. The A will be getting the same treatment i think.
Chevron is the best, but we dont have any in this country!

Yes Shell V power or BP Ultimate. I Tend to avoid supermarket fuel at all costs.

·
Registered
80 Posts
do you really find that supermarket fuel is that much of an issue? My GSXR750 drinks anything including supermarket fuels on a regular basis and it has never missed a beat. And that really does has a high performance engine with revving out at 15k rpm or thereabouts.

·
Registered
109 Posts
iopean said:
do you really find that supermarket fuel is that much of an issue? My GSXR750 drinks anything including supermarket fuels on a regular basis and it has never missed a beat. And that really does has a high performance engine with revving out at 15k rpm or thereabouts.
In long runs, from my house to Aberdeen, I get 2-3 mpg more if I use Shell, BP etc. compared to Tesco or Morrisons. And thats not even using V power or ultimate!!!!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Yes I've checked my Oil yesterday
My Engineered have used allot of oil on his first 1500 miles (0,4L)
I'm using Sport mode 70% of time ;)

·
Registered
629 Posts
I have always been an advocate of using either Shell or at a push BP and never ever supermarket. But I can't help wondering if we are being mugs - whenever you see a large fuel distribution depot on TV or in passing, you will note that tankers from all brands, including supermarkets are coming from them. Anyone know the facts?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I've just changed on my A180 CDI (the one with Renault engine), my dealer said to change on first service, but since I've already passed 10 000 km I decided to change by my self and I used ELF oil, since it's recomended for Renault engines,

Anyhow, the old oil smelled not very good, and was black as h*ll, so I think it was just in time..

1 - 20 of 23 Posts