Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all ,

New here just had a question about my engine oil temperature reading.
As like many of you I wait for both the engine oil and gearbox oil to reach temperature. However in the last few days I’ve notice a change , my engine oil will get up to anywhere around 90-110 depending on how much I wish to warp the landscape and normally would move around those numbers slowly . Not sure if it’s a problem but it is now going from 90 up to 110 in a matter of 20 seconds then down again to around 88 within a minute or two . I’m pretty sure oil temperatures don’t move up and down so erratically .... any ideas maybe faulty oil sensor?
Thanks for looking 🙂

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hi all ,

New here just had a question about my engine oil temperature reading.
As like many of you I wait for both the engine oil and gearbox oil to reach temperature. However in the last few days I’ve notice a change , my engine oil will get up to anywhere around 90-110 depending on how much I wish to warp the landscape and normally would move around those numbers slowly . Not sure if it’s a problem but it is now going from 90 up to 110 in a matter of 20 seconds then down again to around 88 within a minute or two . I’m pretty sure oil temperatures don’t move up and down so erratically .... any ideas maybe faulty oil sensor?
Thanks for looking 🙂
I have a memory of mine getting in to the 120’s or 130’s last summer, In a queue. It was a bit worrying as the car was less than a month old. It went back to normal once out of the queue and has not done it since.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi thanks for your reply .
It’s not the temperature that I’m worried about so much just that the reading moves up and down almost every 2 seconds . I can be booting it and the temperature can fall fast . Guess I will have to ring the Merc garage .

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I don’t recall noticing the engine oil temp in my car fluctuating that much, but will report back at some point after monitoring it...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi just noticed that's mine doing the same going up to 110 then down to 100 with in a 30 seconds or so... l don't think that the gauging is that correct l think it for indication only and not really calibrated exactly to the car.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi just noticed that's mine doing the same going up to 110 then down to 100 with in a 30 seconds or so... l don't think that the gauging is that correct l think it for indication only and not really calibrated exactly to the car.
I guess that could be the case . I’ve booked it in with the dealer anyhow. Thanks for running the test also.

·
Registered
2020 A35 AMG
49 Posts
l don't think that the gauging is that correct l think it for indication only and not really calibrated exactly to the car.
This.

I wouldn’t look too much into it personally. This isn’t an extremely high performing car requiring a constant flow of accurate telemetry to stop it from blowing up.

Those numbers are definitely just a guide. I wouldn’t worry about it too much.

As long as it’s 90-120 I’d not worry. Worry when it’s constantly above 150...

·
Registered
1,051 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Okay thanks that’s what mine does it although it seem to move up and down very quickly. I still have to go to the dealer anyway as I’ve got creaks and rattles something I never had on my VW even after 100,000 miles .

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You would think so . Something is taking the oil temperature so I can’t figure out why mine goes up and down like a yo-yo .

·
Registered
A35, 2019
60 Posts
I now understand that the oil temperature is adjusted so that it matches the coolant temperature, as closely as possible. This makes warm up as quick as possible, and keeps everything at about 100C. So if the box is getting a lot of use, particularly the clutches, which are in the gear box oil, the oil will get hot then drop back down to engine temperature.

·
Registered
2020 A35 AMG
49 Posts
I still have to go to the dealer anyway as I’ve got creaks and rattles something I never had on my VW even after 100,000 miles .
This is something we’ve all got mate. Absolutely diabolical build quality.

My Honda was built better.

The wicked DCT, the looks of the car, and the sheer brilliance of the performance do negate the rattles some what, but still not really impressed with how creaky and overall shite the build quality is.

·
Registered
A35, 2019
60 Posts
Sad when Mercedes spoil what is a stunning car with careless build quality. Glad to say mine is creak free, other than the pano roof that creaks when it is really cold outside.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Nearly went for a new Type R and was always wanting after a Golf R but I still think the A35 had a more complete package . Hopefully Mercedes can sort the rattles and creaking mainly comes from the rear at slow speeds . Looks like I’ve changed the subject sorry 😐

1 - 20 of 26 Posts